Something Getting into Ceiling Box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
For a few weeks my wife says there is a animal making noises in the chimney ceiling box. I heard it last night. I'm thinking it's a very small bat. The Dura Vent has vent slits under the roof storm collar. If something can get thru them I think it could get into the ceiling box. Since It keeps returning to the same spot that has no other easy access I think it has to be getting in there. There is no way to look in there, so I'm going to add a screen on top of the slits,

Any one have this problem?

Tom

I'd remove the storm collar and make sure there's not a nest sitting against your stove pipe, a possible fire hazard. That makes some nice kindling.

Reactions: ScotO
Thats a very good point, if something is in there, there must be a nest. nest near any part of the chimney is a big hazard. What I don't remember is, if the box attached to the round roof flange or it just goes up a ways and stops. Then the double wall goes from the inside of the box, up and thru the roof flange. The slits I mentioned are at the top of the roof flange and then there is a rain guard (storm collar) above that, about 2 inches biger than the chimney pipe. I don't know if anyone can follow that, but i will have to see whats in there.

My guess is mice.

Whatever it is, you need to check it out and fix the problem. I'm going to use brass screen material (like the window screen) and some hi-temp silicone and wrap the screen around the vent slits on my roof flashing. I've always worried about bees getting in those slits and making a nest against the class A pipe. May be something I need to do this week.

Thats a very good point, if something is in there, there must be a nest. nest near any part of the chimney is a big hazard. What I don't remember is, if the box attached to the round roof flange or it just goes up a ways and stops. Then the double wall goes from the inside of the box, up and thru the roof flange. The slits I mentioned are at the top of the roof flange and then there is a rain guard (storm collar) above that, about 2 inches biger than the chimney pipe. I don't know if anyone can follow that, but i will have to see whats in there.

people do funny things when installing a stove.. but
you should be able to remove the storm collar, and pull the pipe up (or twist it off if it is newer)
there may be a screw or two holding the flashing to the pipe, it may have been strapped in the attic, etc

Thanks guys, It will be a few weeks before I can get to this. I will take a few pictures and post them.

Status
Not open for further replies.