Sometimes projects choose themselves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
I have an ambitious list of stuff to do on the house this summer, both hearth and non-hearth related. Well this afternoon I was poking around outside along the house and I decided to check out some leaking areas we had noticed this winter. Actually, one persistent leak if we didn't keep that spot clean. It's right at the crotch of the L shape our house forms, where some shingles run right up against some siding. Well, the wood trim running in the corner from the roof to the ground felt spongy. I poked my finger right through. One whole board came off, then another. Everything is rotten in there. This leak has been there for years from the looks of it. It looks like I'm going to have to tear that whole corner apart and reframe it all, with new insulation, tyvek, and exterior ply. It's all rotted out. One 5 foot section of the sill is pretty much gone too. Adjacent to it, is another section of sill that looks brand new. This has obviously been a problem in the past (we've owned this house for only a few years now).

I have one wall stripped down, back to the good wood so I can see what I need. I'm going to get some material tomorrow and get cracking. I have an open wound on the house right now.

I'm just venting I guess, though I welcome any suggestions or sympathy.

No suggestions. Lots of sympathy. :grrr:

That's why if you own your home and you're also a do it your self person you we never ever be bored. There is always something to fix, remodel, add to etc.. Life on the ranch ain't easy but it beats watching ( most) tv. Best of luck with your newest project.
Ed

colebrookman said:
That's why if you own your home and you're also a do it your self person you we never ever be bored.
Ed

Man, ain't that the truth.

Sorry to hear of your new found task, but its best to get -r-done, cuz it ain't gonna heal itself. Just dig in, and it will be done in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.