Son of A Birch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This was in the path of the cherry that I ended taking so the birch came down first. Attached are some pictures.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4312.jpg
    100_4312.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 372
  • 100_4313.jpg
    100_4313.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 359
  • 100_4315.jpg
    100_4315.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 398
Out playing again I see! :lol:

Zap - looks good - I love yellow birch! Cheers!

That birch look better than the last one. Good solid wood.

Since I suck at wood I.D. (I thought it was Paper Birch) is this yellow birch?

zap

smokinjay said:

Yep, most of the time during hunting season I would never cut here but with the warm weather nobody is hunting.

zp

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Yep, most of the time during hunting season I would never cut here but with the warm weather nobody is hunting.

zp

This is the last year I will miss hunting season.....

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zp

This is the last year I will miss hunting season.....

When does your hunting season end?

zap

zapny said:

zap

I'm not good at tree ID either.
I noticed the color of he wood. When I get into good birch, the wood is white or yellowish white. When I get in dead or down ones that have dark wood, it has started to break down.
Some is still good wood if you get it dried quickly but left thru 1 summer, it gets punky. If it splits with the grain OK, it seems to be pretty good wood.
Birch is just fast to turn punky & lose some of it's BTUs. It'll be lighter weight when it dries & take longer to dry.
Hard to describe, but have cut mostly birch for over 30 years & learned a few things about our birch up here.
Center of some of these are wet & will rot quick if not split & left thru the summer, you can see the reddish wet centers. Tree has only a few years before hollow. Some top limbs will be dead.
Your first pic, a few back, reminded me of marginal birch, still ok, but ready to rot if not split & dried & will be lighter weight when dried.
It's good wood, just not "as good" as when it's white all the way thru. Big ones are hard to find white all the way thru here.
Good & solid, fresh live trees look like most of this & your pic above. (If reddish or dark , wet & starting to break down.)

Attachments

• 100_6775.jpg
    100_6775.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 209
zapny said:

zap

Yep - yellow. Golden bark, peels a lot - broken twigs smell of wintergreen (like black birch) - a better BTU birch than white/gray. Cheers!

zapny said:

zap

Don't remember for sure but I don't recall seeing any yellow birch on your place zap.

Backwoods Savage said:
zapny said:

zap

Don't remember for sure but I don't recall seeing any yellow birch on your place zap.

I always thought it was white birch or paper, I'll get a better picture for tomorrow night.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.