Sound Proofing a Waste Pipe (PICS included)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2007
CT
I have a waste line from the upstairs bathroom in the ceiling of my new basement bathroom.
I will be boxing in the waste line (like a soffit).

But I wanted to know if anyone had any tips for adding some soundproofing to the soffit.

When the upstairs toilet flushes, it is quite loud in the basement bathroom.

Thanks.
mm

Attachments

• waste pipe1.jpg
    waste pipe1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 353
  • waste pipe 2.jpg
    waste pipe 2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 346
I used some 1" styrofoam lining when we boxed in our waste pipe from upstairs. It's not perfectly silent, but it did help. Be sure to leave a removable cover for the cleanout.

Maybe install an intercom system between bathrooms? That way at least you could warn the person. Look out below! Outgoing!

Hmmm...styrofoam....good idea.

I just hope I will have enough room for it after I box it in. Unfortunately, the pipe is quite low.....
if not, I may try a little bit of fiberglass stuffed in there.

thanks for the help.
mm

Sound proofing is a science. It is about decoupling, harmonics, and mass. For example, when soundproofing windows, they use different thickness of glass and vary the spacing. Batt insulation for soundproofing is less fluffy than thermal insulation. Drywall is hung from Z channel to decouple it from the supporting structure.

It doesn't look like you have a whole lot of headroom under the pipe. I would build a double soffit using 1/4" hardy backer. Leave a small air space between the inner and outer soffit.

Cast iron is much quieter than PVC. If you are going to stay with the PVC I'd wrap it in fiberglass, then box it with plywood and then drywall.

Doesn't look like you are going to have room for the door head casing if you build a soffit around the pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.