Sourcing 3M metal tape?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akthor

Sep 14, 2012
Verona Island, Maine
Hey guys I need the 3M or similar metal tape to make the mods to my Baby Countryside. which kind am I looking for? Most metal tapes I see say nothing about temps, I have seen a couple that say they are good up to 350 F but I don't know if that's good enough?

I've gotten 3M 2113NA High Temperature Flue Tape - good for 600 deg F to seal my vent. I picked up a roll at a local ACE hardware. It's available at Amazon too. I think it's the best for the job.

http://www.amazon.com/

mediawebserver

Using this on the outside of the pot (non fire side), will still only last so long.

Use the tape and block 1 row in the front and back of the pot. Then burn for a day or so. If you get build up with the damper wide open, then tape of the top 2 rows of the front and back holes.

Once you find what works the best for a good burn (not lazy and sparks should be flying) then the pot should have something more permanent installed. As the tape will not last long. My buddy (barnyard840x) had his Tig welded shut (top 2 rows/both sides). The tape or even aluminum foil works great for the air wash mod.

Before messing with the pot, see if you can steal enough air from the air wash? Also make sure your pot is the corn pot. The pellet pot wont need as much. The corn pot (stainless) needs the top 1 or 2 rows plugged up (most times). The pellet pot works pretty good (cast iron) without any mods. But plugging a few wouldn't hurt.

Attachments

• 2012-09-29_09-58-23_417.jpg
    2012-09-29_09-58-23_417.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 200
I hope I didn't lead you down the wrong path. When I said the tape was the best thing for the job I meant for my job - vent sealing. I have no idea what the mod entails. Sounds like tape may not be the best thing for that. Sorry if I added confusion.;em

Oh no the tape you told me is the right tape.

I do plan on getting the new cast iron pellet pot the doesn't have holes up the side like my current ones so the tape is a temporary solution.

I hope I didn't lead you down the wrong path. When I said the tape was the best thing for the job I meant for my job - vent sealing. I have no idea what the mod entails. Sounds like tape may not be the best thing for that. Sorry if I added confusion.;em

You were right. Thats the best high temp tape out there. But its only a temporary solution because its going on the non fire side of the burn pot. So 600° is going to be far surpassed.

Oh no the tape you told me is the right tape.

I do plan on getting the new cast iron pellet pot the doesn't have holes up the side like my current ones so the tape is a temporary solution.

The pellet pot still needs more than than stock, but can be achieved by the airwash. Or if needed. Some 2,000° furnace cement will plug up a few holes on the upper rows.

Once the stove has the proper flow, it is quite a good little stove. My buddies house is over 1,000 sq ft and it never goes over level 3, and its on a stat. So it spends a lot of time on level 1 (idling).

Status
Not open for further replies.