Southern NH forecast for this Thurs Morning - Freezing! Are your Pellet Stoves Ready? What is left t

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Just saw the 11:00 pm weather and Mike Haddad says chilly nights this week and the low 32 Degrees F this Friday morning!!

Looks like when the Temp forecast numbers were transposed for the TV and Webcast, they were shifted to the right!! That is why the TV said the coldest morning is Friday?? Those human errors!! Computers do not need that!!!

I had my Astoria yearly cleaning done, have to load in some pellets and check the
Thermostat (I use as a timer) to see if it will fire up at 2 or 3 AM.

Is there anything you have to do to be ready to fire up that stove??

See 5 day forecast below from News 9 web site and the web cast video pic

Usually the early morning hours are the coldest of the day.
Therefore: Look at both forecast pics closely which are both from the News 9 Manchester NH web site.
Does one pic say Thurs morning is the coldest and the other say Friday morning is the coldest temp????

Oh well the Accu Weather on the web says it is not going to be Freezing just a low of 36 Deg F in Salem NH
and 35 Deg F in Manchester but it does say Thurs morning will be the coldest!

Pic 1 - Accu weather forecast on web (Looks like Thurs morning is coldest morning this week)
Pic 2 - News 9 WebCast Forecast (Same as TV) with Mike Haddad shows Friday morning is coldest morning this week!
..............Is Mike Haddad wrong??
Pic 3 - News 9 WebSite Forecast !! (Looks like Thurs morning is coldest morning this week)

We will see !!!!

Attachments

• SalemNHForcast10-06-2011.jpg
    SalemNHForcast10-06-2011.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 496
  • SalemNHWebCastForcast10-06-2011.jpg
    SalemNHWebCastForcast10-06-2011.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 494
  • SalemNHAccuWeatherForcast10-06-2011.jpg
    SalemNHAccuWeatherForcast10-06-2011.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 494
Don't think I'll play the game of covering some of the plants, greens and flowers so they will last a week or two longer. If the frost doesn't get them, the cold wet rain will finish them off. Very odd fall, cold, wet and very little fall color. My maples are just dropping their leaves without going through the change in color. The Ash are nearly all leafless. Oak and Beach still hanging in there. May as well put the lawn chairs away and go gets some sand and ice melt.

Both of our Harmans - the P43 in the garage & the P61A in the kitchen
are cleaned, loaded & ready for bear, but our weather guy says we're
gonna start warming back up, so I don't know if either will be fired.
The winter stash - 6 tons of Cleanfire - are coming next week, so we'll
be ready for whatever Ma Nature brings us...

had frost here already.

now back into the mid 70's.

burned both stoves already.

Nope, ain't gonna light the stove, instead I'll make certain the boss is up really early baking. Maybe black berry, blue berry, apple, and mince meat pies then move on to bread. Perhaps followed by a roasting chicken.

Pellet stove installers are coming this morning. Harman P43 has been on layaway for 3 months. I'll be brushing up on the installer sticky.

Smokey - Expect an influx of visitors. :)

ehkewley said:
Pellet stove installers are coming this morning. Harman P43 has been on layaway for 3 months. I'll be brushing up on the installer sticky.

Congratulations!!

You got the installers at the right time, that must have taken some long term planning!!
Will you have a raised hearth? Let see some before and after pics too please??

I installed mine myself over the summer 3 years ago.
So I added a mantle with candles and some rope light! This year I added a micro processor to the rope light for some flashing effects!

See light kit thread with video
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/75397/

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 414
Don2222 said:
ehkewley said:

Congratulations!!

You got the installers at the right time, that must have taken some long term planning!!
Will you have a raised hearth? Let see some before and after pics too please??

I installed mine myself over the summer 3 years ago.
So I added a mantle with candles and some rope light! This year I added a micro processor to the rope light for some flashing effects!

See light kit thread with video
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/75397/

Thanks! It took about 6 months to plan, but I think it was worth the wait. In that amount of time I browsed through two years of hearth forum posts and gathered a lot of information. I have also seen many of your posts documenting your hearth, lighting, warm air venting and other features.. Pretty cool stuff! My hearth is about as basic as you can get at the moment. I'm hoping to "upgrade" to a slate piece sometime soon. I'm not sure I have the ability to build a nice raised hearth, since the stove is already installed.

New Stove Thread

As I said in another thread, DW likes it cool. I'm sitting here with the slider open and the ceiling fan whirring above me. My house is super insulated and I'm willing to bet a weeks pay that the stove will not be running Thursday night. I can also say with conviction that I will have my sweatshirt on and a blanket ready.
I would love to fire up my stove!

I will be up and running tonight theu Friday morning. Ran it for a couple hours here and there to make sure I was good to go. Then it will be off since summer will be back for the weekrnd.

Still 80 degrees in the the twincities for the next few day's. And have yet to install the new stove. Need to get my act to gether as it's going cold fast.

Don't have to do a thing except reconnect the OAK, plug it
in, dump a bag in and press the button. That said I'm
enjoying not needing AC or heat. My stove doesn't get
fired until it's cool enough out to let it run 24/7.

I burned Sunday for a couple hours to make sure it was running OK. It shut down when it it got warm in here, like it's s'posed to. Thermostat is at 65 or so, if it gets down to that, it'll start. Got 3 bags of pellets in the hopper, I have faith that all will be well.

Xena said:
Don't have to do a thing except reconnect the OAK, plug it
in, dump a bag in and press the button. That said I'm
enjoying not needing AC or heat. My stove doesn't get
fired until it's cool enough out to let it run 24/7.

Hi Xena

How do you heat in the shoulder seasons?

Burning now....on low and its 74 in my house....I never really ran it on low, is the flame supposed to get so low that it smokes like the first time you turn it on? Then it flares up again for a while.

Hello

I still see a discrepency between Mike's News 9 Web Site and his TV/WebCast !! See pic below.

Is it Thursday morning or Friday morning that is the coldest???

What do you guys think??

Click to enlarge numbers

Attachments

• NHForecast10062011.jpg
    NHForecast10062011.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 232
IHATEPROPANE said:
Burning now....on low and its 74 in my house....I never really ran it on low, is the flame supposed to get so low that it smokes like the first time you turn it on? Then it flares up again for a while.

Hi

It is 69 Deg F in our house in sNH and my wife has the windows open!

I found that if I start the stove on Medium and then turn it down to low it works better. However the window will get dirty faster on low but no flare up. I do not see why you have a flare up unless the air or feed rate automatically changes?

Wish I had a hopper auto feed like the pic below!@

"Igor Put in a bag of Stove Chow!"

"Yes sir, my pellet stove Master sir!"

LOL

Attachments

• AutoFeedPelletsSC.jpg
    AutoFeedPelletsSC.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 228
Well, with nighttime temps forecast to be in the low 40's/high 30's for a few days, I decided it was time to get the stove ready for burning.

Removed all the dessicant, replaced the nice "display" brickboard with the freshly painted "old" one, removed the rag from the T, installed the cap and sealed it. Double checked the outside OAK inlet, dumped some pellets in the hopper, plugged it in, and tonight fired it up for the first time just to check the burn......perfect!

I'm ready.

IHATEPROPANE said:

That is how my Englander 25-PDVC burns on low. Not much of the smokey part but the flame almost goes out and then a new load moves in and burns with high flame. There was a thread about that in the last couple of days about low settings and messy burns.

I am the rookie here. Only burned two bags in the stove since I have owned it.

BrotherBart said:
IHATEPROPANE said:

That is how my Englander 25-PDVC burns on low. Not much of the smokey part but the flame almost goes out and then a new load moves in and burns with high flame. There was a thread about that in the last couple of days about low settings and messy burns.

Thanks,
I had seen the other thread and made a comment....figured I would throw it out there again. Mine looks likeit is REAL close to going out or being smothered...then sure enough it fires back up. Interested to see if it makes the night.

IHATEPROPANE said:
BrotherBart said:
IHATEPROPANE said:

Thanks,
I had seen the other thread and made a comment....figured I would throw it out there again. Mine looks likeit is REAL close to going out or being smothered...then sure enough it fires back up. Interested to see if it makes the night.

I remember SmokeyTheBear saying you can adjust the feed on low fire on the Hudsons controller.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80291/#960349

When you have the 1 light lit press the auger trim button until 1 + 4 is lit it cycles between 1 lit, 1 + 5 lit and 1 + 4 lit.

Auger Trim: This is used to change the feed rate on the minimum heat level for various
quality of pellet fuel. This will help to keep the flames from extinguishing on the
minimum heat level setting. It is also used to lower heat output on the minimum heat
level setting.
Push and release the Auger Trim button until the heat level 1 and 5 lights appear. This
will slightly increase the feed rate on the minimum heat level setting to keep the burn pot
flames from going out.
Push and release the button until the heat level 1 and 4 lights appear, this will reduce the
pellet feed rate on the minimum heat level setting. Use this setting to reduce the heat
level output on low.
Push and release the button until just the heat level 1 setting light is on, this is the factory
setting and works for most types of fuel.

j-takeman said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
BrotherBart said:
IHATEPROPANE said:

Thanks,

I remember SmokeyTheBear saying you can adjust the feed on low fire on the Hudsons controller.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80291/#960349

When you have the 1 light lit press the auger trim button until 1 + 4 is lit it cycles between 1 lit, 1 + 5 lit and 1 + 4 lit.

Auger Trim: This is used to change the feed rate on the minimum heat level for various
quality of pellet fuel. This will help to keep the flames from extinguishing on the
minimum heat level setting. It is also used to lower heat output on the minimum heat
level setting.
Push and release the Auger Trim button until the heat level 1 and 5 lights appear. This
will slightly increase the feed rate on the minimum heat level setting to keep the burn pot
flames from going out.
Push and release the button until the heat level 1 and 4 lights appear, this will reduce the
pellet feed rate on the minimum heat level setting. Use this setting to reduce the heat
level output on low.
Push and release the button until just the heat level 1 setting light is on, this is the factory
setting and works for most types of fuel.

Ah yes....I forgot about that...whoops

The adjustments primary planned use was to allow trimming the fuel/air mixture on the problematic low burn situation. However if the stove doesn't blow the fire out on the low trim setting you effectively have three different heat level one choices. The controller on the stove is very similar to other stove's.

When I burn on the 1- setting at first the flame will fluctuate quite easily, after burning for awhile there will be enough crud in the system to smooth out the flame.

The controllers on a lot of pellet stove leave much to be desired.

The England units provide a lot more control in low burn and with some of the stoves over their entire heat range settings.

The old stoves with the analog controls also provided a lot of fine tuning ability.

But back to the general low burn situation, the air/fuel mixture becomes critical in being able to maintain a fire without it being blown out or being so dirty it soots up everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.