Spark Arrestor for Pellet Pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire

Feb 7, 2007
NYC
I have a 7 ft vertical rise elbowed to a horizontal jet cap exhaust, I am using 3" pellet pipe. Is a spark arrestor possible/advisable, to avoid the occasional burning ember that makes it to the outside?

The general consensus around here is the occasional ember that escapes will not do any harm... most cool before hitting the ground and you won't get a lot of them anyway.

I have a horizontal exhaust and I've seen maybe 5 in the four years I been using the stove...

Excel's jet exhaust cap comes with small wire, presumably to act as a spark arrestor. However, the dealer said to remove it since it will just clog up.

Not all system setups are the same so not everyone is likely to have a spark, or for it to be a concern. I'd say if you ever see the occasional spark that concerns you throw some screening on, but periodically inspect to keep clean.

Fire said:
I have a 7 ft vertical rise elbowed to a horizontal jet cap exhaust, I am using 3" pellet pipe. Is a spark arrestor possible/advisable, to avoid the occasional burning ember that makes it to the outside?

Especially since you have the 7' rise and the jet cap at the end, I see no need for any special "spark arrestor"....pellet stoves don't typically produce many sparks, and they are so small that they burn out before they get anywhere near the ground. As mentioned above, even a straight horizontal pipe will see very little in the way of sparks.

You're good to go as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.