Sparking wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stump_Branch

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2010
MD
Does anyone have/know of wood that throws off sparks? I am refering to when I open up the door to reload. The other night sparks where coming out. not that you could see them until they got enough air, try near my face. I have heard Locust will spark when opening the door and lots of air gets to the coals. Not sure if thats what i have but im curious as to others expirences. the wood charts I have seen pretty much say no wood sparks, I find this hard to believe.

I have had some beech spark up. It is the Termite turds !!!

I get that too once in a while...I think it was white oak or locust - I'll pay attention next time I put a split in. Just close the door to the point where it's pulling in a draft and wait a few moments, they'll stablize and you can reload without singing your hair.

Mulberry is notorious for putting on a Fourth of July display; it's when air hits trapped moisture pockets inside the wood-it goes bananas!

Locust....it sparks like mad for me. Sometimes I freak out thinking the sparks are still alive after they fire out of the insert. I think they all die...well they have thus far when they fly out, or I would have to play fireman. As for the other wood mentioned by Adios...I am sure they have the same problem as I have ran across other members mentioning this.

As stated above...I love my hedge, locust and mulberry! I have about 2 cords of mulberry left

Agreed. Mulberry & Hedge will put on a good show with tremendous heat.I burn some Mulberry every year,what little Hedge I've cut went to feed my lathe & bandsaw instead.Never burned any Black Locust,but Honey Locust is plentiful in spots around here.Intense burning,never seen any sparks from it though.

geoxman said:
As stated above...I love my hedge, locust and mulberry! I have about 2 cords of mulberry left
+1 running white oak mulberry and apple mix right now! Lifes good....

I burned some hickory last winter that put on a good show when I stirred the coals in the morning.

I've never seen anything pop and spark like Hemlock. i burn a lot of locust and it does it some, but not like hemlock.

All I ever burn is hickory and oak. The oak may spit a little but the hickory can really put on a light show. And this wood is very low MC.

shawneyboy said:
I have had some beech spark up. It is the Termite turds !!!
:lol: They love that standing dead Red/Black Oak too.

hmm this stuff did burn quite well, my guess would be the locust. the sparks though were strange, not the pop out of the coals type, these would be 'invisable' till a point then pop and expand sometimes 2 feet or more away from the fire. they looked like a super small firework. very interesting, somewhat scary (near my money making mug of a face).
what is the BTU of mulberry? I wonder if the sparking is more a fiber/denisty thing, or something else. seems as if people are saying that the higher btu woods spark more. of corse I know pine will pop as well.

Stump_Branch said:
I wonder if the sparking is more a fiber/denisty thing, or something else. seems as if people are saying that the higher btu woods spark more. of corse I know pine will pop as well.

You may be on to something there, but Sassafras sparks like a SOB but doesn't have near the BTU content of other sparking woods (Hickory, Mulberry, Osage).

Stump_Branch said:
hmm this stuff did burn quite well, my guess would be the locust. the sparks though were strange, not the pop out of the coals type, these would be 'invisable' till a point then pop and expand sometimes 2 feet or more away from the fire. they looked like a super small firework. very interesting, somewhat scary (near my money making mug of a face).
what is the BTU of mulberry? I wonder if the sparking is more a fiber/denisty thing, or something else. seems as if people are saying that the higher btu woods spark more. of corse I know pine will pop as well.

Kinda sounds like my experience with hickory last year. Did you get a whiff of the smoke? Locust stinks, hickory smells like barbecue, and mulberry is quite pleasant if I recall.

jeff_t said:
Stump_Branch said:

Kinda sounds like my experience with hickory last year. Did you get a whiff of the smoke? Locust stinks, hickory smells like barbecue, and mulberry is quite pleasant if I recall.

I have been running mixed bags lately, that one included some Apple wood. (After reading on here how well it smells and burns I strolled out to mine and plucked some dead branches.)
So I cant tell you the exact aroma of it. Burned like coal though, and was quite hot. the reasoning for my guess.

My 3 year old split white oak does that. It is like a sparkler is in the stove. Some spitting when the door is sealed, but open it up and the show is on!

+1 on the hickory (shagbark here) and locust. Pack of firecrackers also.

I have had oak, hickory, mulberry, locust and hedge all put on the sparkler show sometimes. For many years I burned nothing but hedge (Osage orange) and cussed it every time I reloaded. It was always one or two years seasoned. Then, this year I got in to some old end stacks of that hedge that I had just always left because it doesn't ever go bad and therefore I didn't have to re-stack ends. This year I decided to burn some of it as the ends were starting to get a little wobbly (at least 15 years old) To my amazement, it didn't do the sparkler show. I guess if you season it long enough the resins in the wood that I suspect do that, finally dry out enough. I know no one is going to season anything 15 years (except maybe Dennis ;-P ) to keep the sparking down, but just thought I would share.

Stump_Branch said:

Yes. I've seen this from black locust. Long since dead, and almost totally air-dried. Splits that had slowly and cleanly burnt down to coals. Then opened the door a bit, and the pyrotechnics began. Multiple secondary "stars." No idea what it correlates to, but it surely won't put me off from locust.

tfdchief said:
I have had oak, hickory, mulberry, locust and hedge all put on the sparkler show sometimes. For many years I burned nothing but hedge (Osage orange) and cussed it every time I reloaded. It was always one or two years seasoned. Then, this year I got in to some old end stacks of that hedge that I had just always left because it doesn't ever go bad and therefore I didn't have to re-stack ends. This year I decided to burn some of it as the ends were starting to get a little wobbly (at least 15 years old) To my amazement, it didn't do the sparkler show. I guess if you season it long enough the resins in the wood that I suspect do that, finally dry out enough. I know no one is going to season anything 15 years (except maybe Dennis ;-P ) to keep the sparking down, but just thought I would share.

Regarding the extreme decay resistance & durability of hedge,that you're already aware of: I can show you some hedge posts my Granddad set in the '30's.He's been gone almost 40 yrs & his 160 acre farm changed owners at least twice since then.Every year or so around Memorial Day at reunion I go down some of those narrow 2 lane blacktop & gravel roads in NW MO,one goes right past the old place.I've heard stories that there probably still sound fence posts in various US locations that date to the 1890's. :coolsmile: I dont doubt it one bit. Dad said that the staples will rust away 2 times before post needs replacing.

Thistle said:
tfdchief said:

Regarding the extreme decay resistance & durability of hedge,that you're already aware of: I can show you some hedge posts my Granddad set in the '30's.He's been gone almost 40 yrs & his 160 acre farm changed owners at least twice since then.Every year or so around Memorial Day at reunion I go down some of those narrow 2 lane blacktop & gravel roads in NW MO,one goes right past the old place.I've heard stories that there probably still sound fence posts in various US locations that date to the 1890's. :coolsmile: I don't doubt it one bit. Dad said that the staples will rust away 2 times before post needs replacing.
Yep, there are still a good number of hedge fence posts around here and some of them I can remember being there when my Dad took me hunting 50 years ago. Hard to tell how old they were then. They just DON'T decay. Here in central IL we have a good number of tornadoes and I can show you places where they have gone through a hedge row and all it did was snap off smaller limbs, twist them up a little and otherwise didn't hurt them much. I think the most amazing thing is that in the 70's a lot of guys were burning stoves and inserts around here, and they would cut an entire hedge row (farmers used them as wind breaks and fences for cattle) down to the ground. Those hedge rows have now grown back up and look like they did 40 years ago before they were leveled, and all just from stumps! When God made the Osage Orange, he wasn't kidding around. :coolgrin:

Happens occasionally. It occurred this weekend and I was alert enough to notice that the wood was mulberry (identified earlier in the week by forum members).

Beetle kill pine

Status
Not open for further replies.