Sparks / ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmountvernon

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2011
SE Mass
how can you stop sparks from coming out of the pipe? I'm straight out T outside 5 ft up elbow ending with a end cap

oldmountvernon said:
how can you stop sparks from coming out of the pipe? I'm straight out T outside 5 ft up elbow ending with a end cap

You can't the question then becomes what will they do. The answer is it depends upon whether your venting conforms to the minimum clearances to combustibles in your stoves installation manual.

If it conforms you'll have no trouble, if it doesn't meet minimums then figure on problems of the kind you don't want, perhaps involving those big shiny red trucks with folks in air packs, with axes, and hose.

My setup is "T", up 4 feet, through block wall to end cap pointing downward.

So, I see my share of wispy sparks. I don't of any way to stop the sparks that wouldn't impede airflow.

I've been outside when they've flown out the pipe, I really don't think they are hot enough to do any damage.

I have a similar setup...18" straight out, T then vertical 3' with elbow and downward pointing vent. I have never seen any sparks make it that far.

Get a spark bucket. Keep yer bush trimmed. (Hey, I just couldn't resist)

hossthehermit said:
Spark bucket. Keep yer bush trimmed.

Slickplant? Os that you? LOL.

Like Smokey said, if your Clearance to Combustibles is met. Then you should have little to worry about.

lol the reason im asking is last night i had a cop over for some people having a fire going in the woods ( deer hunters :( ) and he questioned the sparks coming out of my vent

Sorry oldmountvernon, seems the gang just can't resist.

This comes up several times a season.

But it is the reason for all of the clearance gotchas and warnings about not burning other than approved fuel in these devices.

Done by the rules, things will be fine.

So thats what your supposed to do with your bush? Thanks Hermit, I will give that a try. LOL. On a serious note......I have my share of sparks coming out of my vent also. Its just the nature of the beast imo. They will go out before they hit the ground. If you have a good amount of fines in the pellets that can cause you to have more sparks than usual. But you will get them either way. No worries.

I know someone who kept an open trash container with trash in it right under his exhaust. As in, the exhaust exit pointed directly into the container. I told him that this is probably not a good idea.

That's funny I don't care who you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.