Spitting & Stacking Done Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This is the Sugar Maple,Yellow Birch and Cherry from a few weeks back, it was a great day for working.

Pic 4383 is the stacking area (had ironwood stacked but sold it) 4384 is just getting started,4393 is the wood for the first rack,4394 is after the stacking,4395 thru 97 is the wood for the second rack and whats left.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4383.jpg
    100_4383.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 327
  • 100_4393.jpg
    100_4393.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 335
  • 100_4394.jpg
    100_4394.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 357
  • 100_4395.jpg
    100_4395.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 339
  • 100_4396.jpg
    100_4396.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 345
  • 100_4397.jpg
    100_4397.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 337
  • 100_4384.jpg
    100_4384.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 337
Damn. Nice work ZAP. You always post your pictures of the work and nice weather for working in on the days I have to work and can not do what you are doing! :lol: I am jealous. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Is this wood mainly for your personal use? Really nice stacks. How far away is this wood from your stove/insert? Do you have to stage it somewhere else prior to burning for the season? I am learning from these pics. I really like your cutting jig for n/s burning. Makes sense. Keep the pics coming. Keep waiting for some more of your alaskan mill.

rayu, once they start seasoning they will look like most wood stacks.

gasifier, they called for 3-5 but we just received a dusting. Great day for splitting plus chasing a four wheeler off our property, just shut down the splitter when I heard it up top, made the long run up top so he heard me coming then took off.

First good snow fall I think the plow will go on and that persons driveway will have a nice bank at the end. :coolgrin:

Thanks
Zap

Boom Stick said:
Is this wood mainly for your personal use? Really nice stacks. How far away is this wood from your stove/insert? Do you have to stage it somewhere else prior to burning for the season? I am learning from these pics. I really like your cutting jig for n/s burning. Makes sense. Keep the pics coming. Keep waiting for some more of your alaskan mill.

Mainly for personal use, the stacks are about 50 - 75 feet from the house. Most of this wood will not have to be moved, we have one area that is on the southeast side, depending on how the summer goes we might have to move it. I did sell that area this past summer and the customer said the wood was burning great, it was stacked for a year.

Zap

Where you from Zap.. looks quite cold out there with the snow crust... Nice job getting the wood done before it really snows on you. I'm up to 3 or so cords and getting the final cord scrounged real soon before the weater really turns for the worse.

Really nice pics. I wish I could do something like that. Not enough space unless I cut down a few trees. Wait a minute...cut down a few trees! :-/

stejus said:
Where you from Zap.. looks quite cold out there with the snow crust... Nice job getting the wood done before it really snows on you. I'm up to 3 or so cords and getting the final cord scrounged real soon before the weater really turns for the worse.

In the Town of Colton in the foothills of the Adirondacks. It was about 30 out today when I started, perfect weather.

This map is from Accuweather, the Farmers Almanac is calling for flooding type rain for that same week.

Zap

Attachments

• 300x200_12092057_weekbeforechrismas.jpg
    300x200_12092057_weekbeforechrismas.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 275
Backwoods said:
Really nice pics. I wish I could do something like that. Not enough space unless I cut down a few trees. Wait a minute...cut down a few trees! :-/

Our first year we (my wife did the most stacking) stacked on the southside of the house, the following year the boss wanted the backyard view back so I started making some new areas for stacking which is what you see.

We did cut down some small white pine that would have never amounted to much, glad the wife wanted the view in the backyard back.

I blame Sav for all this, I also say thanks Sav.

zap

You are welcome zap. Now I learn from you.

I just returned from looking for trespassers. Got a call from a good neighbor with a heads up. It turned out okay but it is cold out there right now!

Backwoods Savage said:
You are welcome zap. Now I learn from you.

I just returned from looking for trespassers. Got a call from a good neighbor with a heads up. It turned out okay but it is cold out there right now!

Good to hear, what part of our posted sign did he not understand, those are his tracks going by it.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4389.jpg
    100_4389.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 278
I hear you zap. I had a fellow one time pull out a page of a platt book and tried to show me where my line was..... He left very quickly.

Nice pics Zap.
Blaming Sav is a "good kinda blame". He's a good teacher. Both of you stack & season your wood "primo" :)
Maybe you'll get some snow soon, you're due. Sounds like you're ready for it.
We got about 3". Just enough to plow & make the place look good again & cover all the ice. Day Temps high 20s, "the Norm" for this time of the year.

Bogey

Backwoods Savage said:
I hear you zap. I had a fellow one time pull out a page of a platt book and tried to show me where my line was..... He left very quickly.

We caught one of the town board members with his wife (Mr & Mrs. Joe Zelinski) on our property, three months later the jerk was at our house asking for our vote, SURE!

Wish we would have had this bear.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_3365.jpg
    100_3365.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 256
Some folks really have gall.

Backwoods Savage said:

Some folks really have gall by using those splitters pointing to the sky! Lay that splitter down zap and get some work done!. :)

Great pics zap, I sure wouldn't want to drop a match with all those pine needles laying around.

Do you also split horizontally with an axe or splitting maul? Some things are better done horizontally but not splitting wood.

wishlist said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Some folks really have gall by using those splitters pointing to the sky! Lay that splitter down ( Towing Only) zap and get some work done!. :)

Great pics zap, I sure wouldn't want to drop a match with all those pine needles laying around.
(What Pine Needles)

Big cleaning up of the pine needles this spring, our recycle in town takes them, they mix in some dirt then turn every so often. After turning to dirt you can use it if you want.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.