split open some hickory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
So I decided to see if my hickory is dry on the inside being that the bark is starting to just fall right off. I split one open any it was just barely moist. Hardly wet. Took a wiff at the center and I could smell the wood. But could not smell anything on the dry outside. The wood is starting to show cracks. Think it will be ok for October. Been drying it for 6 months now. wHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK.

Hickory dries fairly rapidly & has less moisture than most all Oaks,but I'd give it a couple more months anyway.Unless its been in a sunny spot that gets lots of airflow.

tumm21 said:
So I decided to see if my hickory is dry on the inside being that the bark is starting to just fall right off. I split one open any it was just barely moist. Hardly wet. Took a wiff at the center and I could smell the wood. But could not smell anything on the dry outside. The wood is starting to show cracks. Think it will be ok for October. Been drying it for 6 months now. wHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK.

Could give you a better guess if I knew the size of the splits, or if it is split.

Seems it is starting the drying process from the end-checking. If the wood inside is perceptibly wet, at all, it's got a ways to go. Not knowing how it's split, nor stacked, nor covered, can't even guess when it'll be ready. Hickory is such good wood, I certainly wouldn't rush it into the firebox.

Managing this sort of process, and learning how to do it, is one of the fun challenges of heating with wood. Largely, that's going to be DIY.

I'm with CTYank, save that stuff for the cold weather, it makes great heat, & lasts + the more drying time the better. A C

Its stacked on pallets 3 deep and 5 feet high and criss crossed about every 3rd course. Its in the dead sun and the wind is always there. The splits are average pieces around 6 inches wide. Hope that helps.

Would you say another 2 months will be enough? Problem mis I have maple and ash all mixed in with it so I cant work around the hickory.

I have never checked the moisture content of hickory until it was sitting for at least a year. However I can tell you that the hickory I split is usually around 12% within a year of splitting and stacking it. Save it for the coldest part of winter and I can promise you that if it isdry dry you will be impressed with how it burns and the heat output.

Tumm21, you seem to be in a big rush to burn. Are you going to need to be burning by the first of October? Burn your trashwood in the mild weeks of early Fall and save the real BTUs for the coldest part of winter.

tumm21 said:

So, when was the wood split or was this the first time you split it? Generally hickory needs a year and then it is worth sorting out and saving for the coldest nights during the winter. That' below zero wood.

I split it in early March. And stacked it as I split. It would be too hard to sort out the other wood. Hoping all the fire wood would be fine by mid October.

If the tree was live when you cut and split it five months ago I think you're going to have some awfully green wood to burn in October. I have high doubts that even standing dead hickory would be ready to burn in less than a year, particularly where you live. Maybe the top branches of a standing dead but not the trunk.

I like to stack each tree I cut separately from any other tree. I never mix them so I can avoid any problem like you have. I don't suggest you sort your stacks at this point but when you start burning, use your other wood and restack the hickory as you pull it out of the original stack. You say it would be too much work to sort it now. Think of all the work you've already put into it getting it bucked, split and stacked. Too much work to waste all the labor and burn it green. Maybe it will be halfway decent to burn by late winter but I can't see that happening by mid-October.

Thistle said:
Hickory dries fairly rapidly & has less moisture than most all Oaks,but I'd give it a couple more months anyway.Unless its been in a sunny spot that gets lots of airflow.

+1, Hold that wood for Jan. Feb.!

Well I appreciate all the feed back but I dont feel I can wait til Dec. or Jan. to start burning the hickory. Let me ask you this, if I burn it in my back yard and it does not sizzle and hiss with water, would you say its good for the stove at that time? I figure I could give it a go maybe mid september and see if shes good to go. If not I am in trouble. Also, what type of wood do you think I should ask my tree guy for. I know ash obviously, but realize I only have on average 8 months to season my wood after I split it. What do you think?

I think you should get a double order this year so you can stay at least a year ahead and not have to keep burning green wood.

Kenster said:
I think you should get a double order this year so you can stay at least a year ahead and not have to keep burning green wood.
x2
We are not happy unless the wood has been cut, split snd stacked for two full years. Most pieces are split to the size of a 2inx4in. Lots of reasons to burn only well dryed wood. Try to keep three winters supply on hand each fall. We check our chimney each season and clean it every five or six years for good measure.
Tom

tumm21 said:
Well I appreciate all the feed back but I dont feel I can wait til Dec. or Jan. to start burning the hickory. Let me ask you this, if I burn it in my back yard and it does not sizzle and hiss with water, would you say its good for the stove at that time? I figure I could give it a go maybe mid september and see if shes good to go. If not I am in trouble. Also, what type of wood do you think I should ask my tree guy for. I know ash obviously, but realize I only have on average 8 months to season my wood after I split it. What do you think?

By all means, if you can ask for ash, do it! It would be your best bet.

Burning some wood out in the yard can tell you a lot but it will still burn a bit different in the stove. If the moisture doesn't come bubbling out the ends you may be fine. Good luck.

Ok thats my plan. I will make a fire outside lets say at the end of September to see if I have water boiling out the sides. How soon prior to burning it should I cover the top of my wood pile?

I never cover the wood until just before snow flies. If you happen to have a very wet fall, then you might consider covering it earlier. Especially if you get some of those drenching rains following hurricanes. Just be sure to cover only the top of the wood pile. Never cover the sides or ends. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.