spliting round

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucketboy

Aug 7, 2009
central ontario
Should rounds be split now or can they wait till the snow melts and can be stacked right away?

I like to have everything split and stack by April.

I'd split as soon as possible, especially if you plan to burn it next winter.

Wood Duck said:
I'd split as soon as possible, especially if you plan to burn it next winter.
+1 - why wait if you can do it now? Cheers!

smokinjay said:

Is that for burning the upcoming winter? Meaning S/S by April and burn it by October/November of the same year?

If I could split now I would. I try and shoot for the first of March to be done - because I like to fish the first minute of ice out.

My piles are buried in deep snow and no end in sight. Plus - it's put the kabosh on my scrounging. I still need another 6-8 truck loads of scrounged wood (I average 2-4 per weekend). I just need a break from this weather.

trailrated said:
smokinjay said:

Is that for burning the upcoming winter? Meaning S/S by April and burn it by October/November of the same year?
Works for a lot of woods, are you surprised?

oldspark said:
trailrated said:
smokinjay said:

No not surprised, because that's how I'll be rolling next winter lol. I'm behind on what I have to cut and split and hoping I'll be done by at least March.

trailrated said:
oldspark said:
trailrated said:
smokinjay said:

No not surprised, because that's how I'll be rolling next winter lol. I'm behind on what I have to cut and split and hoping I'll be done by at least March.
The correct wood spices (or dead) and stacked in single rows in wind and sun will give you great wood.

thanks to all the folks that have replied. i am busy with work and trying to cut 6 or 7 more face cords. i use a snowmobile and a sleigh to drag the rounds out of the bush ,....so it is a slow process. i usally get 6 to 8 load a day i figure a load is 3 days of burning. but as soon as i can get at it i will have it split. thanks

Split as soon as you can.

I forgot to mention that if split and the size of splits will have a big impact on the drying also, the reason you can split it very early spring is wood does not dry all that much in the cold temps.

bucketboy said:
Should rounds be split now or can they wait till the snow melts and can be stacked right away?

Depends . . . if you are hoping to use this wood for next Fall/Winter (2011-2012) I would split the wood sooner rather than later . . . if it's for use in another two years or so I would get to it when you are ready or able to . . . sooner is always better than later . . . but sometimes time is the issue.

firefighterjake said:
bucketboy said:

Depends . . . if you are hoping to use this wood for next Fall/Winter (2011-2012) I would split the wood sooner rather than later . . . if it's for use in another two years or so I would get to it when you are ready or able to . . . sooner is always better than later . . . but sometimes time is the issue.
I dont want to start a debate but from my experience wood does not dry very much in the cold temps so waiting till early spring still gets the wood as dry as splitting now.

Status
Not open for further replies.