splittah blowout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to see- the hose was dripping- and it blew off and threw what looked like gallons of fluid in the 10 seconds it took to get to the switch. Pic does it little justice- there's fluid on my tractor, all over the ground...
39180_1362971596169_1287984025_30866270_6168100_n.jpg

39110_1362973316212_1287984025_30866273_5980245_n.jpg

That sucks. Did you call in a HAZMAT team for cleanup?

Admiral Allen has a crew on the way. If the fluid was made by BP you just hit the lottery.

Holy cow that could have been way worse that it was. You're very lucky.

Next time I split thing I'll cover my hoses with something ...act like a absorbing like armor. Maybe a layer of cardboard that will redirect the hot fluid away from me.

That's the 3rd time I've heard of this happening.

Adios Pantalones said:
Ya- it's the fluid's fault- not my fault for neglecting PM and such. Anyone know a good lawyer?

I will ask what is PM?

zap

Adios Pantalones said:
Preventative Maintenance

I'll have to do some tonight since the last time was last fall for checking the hoses. Oil change coming up before winter and the fluid levels are fine.

zap

PM? --Naaa, it still works. :lol:

Blown hydro lines are no joke. A pin hole at high pressure can be seriously dangerous. Your lucky it was just an oil bath.

Be careful out there folks. High pressure hydraulics shouldn't be taken lightly.

good points. In addition to the obvious risk of being hit by oil or flying hose end, oil injection into/under the skin is very dangerous.
NEVER feel around hoses looking for pinhole leaks while under pressure.
Petroleum oil injected into the body basically migrates rapidly and dissolves the fatty connective tissue of the cells. Not just in the wound site, but it spreads all over.

One link is here: http://www.pcfrta.org/training/TRS-rescue/030-auto/20050418.pdf but inet seraching can yield the gory details.

The pics appear to be fake or cadaver tissue, but they are not.
Doesn't have to be much either. We had a field machine operator prick himself in palm of one hand with an oring pic which injected very small amount of an active fluid. Within hours he was airlifted out to major hospital and had several surgerys but did save the arm, but permanently disabled.

How does anyone manage to survive long enough to die of old age natural causes.......

kcj

I spent three years working on Chinook helicopters and covered with hydraulic fluid most of that time. Forty one years ago.

Glad the hot stuff didn't bite ya Pants. The hoses on my 1988 splitter are looking like it is time to change'em. That original Luberfiner filter looks like it could use replacement too. Before it rusts through.

BucksCoBernie said:
:note to self stay away from the troy built splitters at Lowes:

That sucks...how long have you had that? I hope it wasnt new.

I would write a note to myself to be careful when working around any splitter with hydraulic lines . . .

Had a hose blow out on me last year. Like you, about 10 seconds to shut it down. Had my back turned to the oil spray & after I shut it off, heard a little poof & turned around & the oil all over the motor caught fire. Didn't think this 61 year old body could move so fast as I had to run around the garage, into the back & back out with the extinguisher.
Al

Return hose popped off? At least it's not a lot of pressure. Mine blew off shortly after I got it. The yoyos that put it together didn't bother to put a nipple on the hydraulic tank. They just jammed the hose on the 1/2" male pipe fitting and clamped it. The sharp threads cut thru the hose. I took a pic and went back to TSC. Manager gave me the proper fitting, and a couple gallons of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.