Splitter Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
On our American CLS what makes it so hard that I can't pull start it? It's almost impossible to pull it.

zap

That could be a lot of things? When did it start doing that? Does it start now? Could just be the oil getting very thick in this cold.

smokinjay said:
That could be a lot of things? When did it start doing that? Does it start now? Could just be the oil getting very thick in this cold.

Just started doing it today, I went to use the MTD 20 ton for splitting the beech and the starter cord broke so I said lets move to the other splitter and it won't start.

I did check the oil and that seems fine but maybe I should move it in the garage. It won't start.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Just started doing it today, I went to use the MTD 20 ton for splitting the beech and the starter cord broke so I said lets move to the other splitter and it won't start.

I did check the oil and that seems fine but maybe I should move it in the garage. It won't start.

zap

Thats what I would do.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

Thats what I would do.

Going out and hook it up to the rhino then put it in, then put some heat to it.

zap

Ya Zap, it is probably just the hydraulic oil getting pretty stiff. This is one reason I do the splitting in the spring each year.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ya Zap, it is probably just the hydraulic oil getting pretty stiff. This is one reason I do the splitting in the spring each year.

After splitting all last winter in below zero temps then this, well all I can say is you'll see some pictures Sunday of the maul in action.

zap

Does the cord not move at all, like its locked in place or is it really, really hard to pull it out through one full compression cycle?

mayhem said:
Does the cord not move at all, like its locked in place or is it really, really hard to pull it out through one full compression cycle?
(YES)

mayhem I stopped by the shop I bought the woodsplitter from and they think it is the oil so it's going in Tuesday morning and I will pick it up Tuesday night.

Our garage is not heated so I'll have them do it then next year I'll change the oil in the spring then again in September. (Another Lesson Learned)

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.