Splitter injury

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyrfalcon

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2007
Champlain Valley, Vermont
Lost my grip on the plastic safety goggles as I was taking them off, and they snapped back on the elastic band and one edge smacked me in the eye-- luckily closed at the time.

Geez, you need safety equipment to protect you from the safety equipment. No damage done, I don't think, just a little ding on the far side of the eyeball, but still...

gyrfalcon said:
Lost my grip on the plastic safety goggles as I was taking them off, and they snapped back on the elastic band and one edge smacked me in the eye-- luckily closed at the time.

Geez, you need safety equipment to protect you from the safety equipment. No damage done, I don't think, just a little ding on the far side of the eyeball, but still...

Man, I just laughed my a** off!! Sorry dude but that is some funny stuff. Glad your OK though.

Adios Pantalones said:
damn!

Wife knows a guy that went to Afghanistan on duty, came back, and lost an eye to the hook on a bungee cord that snapped back on him.

I was thinking bungee cords as I read the post - I've had one snap back hard, but luckily on my cheek, but, a little to close the eyes. Cheers!

Jutt77 said:
Man, I just laughed my a** off!! Sorry dude but that is some funny stuff. Glad your OK though.

I was laughing myself when I wasn't wincing-- and actually thinking at the time that the guys at Hearth.com are the only people who would really appreciate the absurdity. It was sort of a Dick Van Dyke move, I have to admit.

Reactions: Batman
:lol: Yes, some strange things can certainly happen. Glad this ended up just being one of those funny moments. Actually I'm betting most folks who have worn safety glasses has had that happen; maybe not to the eye but to the face somewhere.

It also reminds me when I was a young lad my older sister dated a man who was in the army as a paratrooper. Had many jumps to his credit. Then came home for a few days.....only to end up with a broken leg when he jumped off a porch.

Backwoods Savage said:
It also reminds me when I was a young lad my older sister dated a man who was in the army as a paratrooper. Had many jumps to his credit. Then came home for a few days.....only to end up with a broken leg when he jumped off a porch.

(roar!) Now that is really funny! Be lucky if he survived the ribbing from his fellow paratroopers.

There's something particularly maddening, though, about getting an injury from safety equipment.

I agree gyrfalcon!

Adios Pantalones said:
Wife knows a guy that went to Afghanistan on duty, came back, and lost an eye to the hook on a bungee cord that snapped back on him.

My ophthalmologist calls them "sight killers". More eyes lost that way than any other, I guess.

Gyrf, I've been there before. Block of wood came off my table saw and drove right on through the safety glasses and literally crushed my eyeball. The ER thought it was ruptured. I still got it, so I guess I'm lucky, but it will never be close to the same, even after several surgeries.

Glad to hear you are OK. I wear a full face shield all the time now. Except ten days ago when I was prepping the BattenKiln MC sample. Somehow the band saw blade got pulled up right into my guide assembly, trashing the blade and ricocheting four metal teeth off the saw table. One of them hit me in the cheek, right below my good eye. Guess who wasn't wearing eye protection? :shut:

They say you can't fix stupid, and I'm beginning to believe they are right. :roll:

Battenkiller said:
Adios Pantalones said:

My ophthalmologist calls them "sight killers". More eyes lost that way than any other, I guess.

Gyrf, I've been there before. Block of wood came off my table saw and drove right on through the safety glasses and literally crushed my eyeball. The ER thought it was ruptured. I still got it, so I guess I'm lucky, but it will never be close to the same, even after several surgeries.

Glad to hear you are OK. I wear a full face shield all the time now. Except ten days ago when I was prepping the BattenKiln MC sample. Somehow the band saw blade got pulled up right into my guide assembly, trashing the blade and ricocheting four metal teeth off the saw table. One of them hit me in the cheek, right below my good eye. Guess who wasn't wearing eye protection? :shut:

They say you can't fix stupid, and I'm beginning to believe they are right. :roll:

Yeeeoouchhhh! Maybe a suit of armor would be good?

New safety gear, protects you from bungees, glasses, and dragons.

Wear with care.......... :)

armour-suit.jpg

gyrfalcon said:
Battenkiller said:
Adios Pantalones said:

Yeeeoouchhhh! Maybe a suit of armor would be good?

nah then you have to be worried about Tetanus

Ah, I was thinking it would be something really bad - given the title. I was expecting to see some crime scene photos of missing limbs!

Hope your eye gets better.

basswidow said:
Ah, I was thinking it would be something really bad - given the title. I was expecting to see some crime scene photos of missing limbs!

Heh. So sorry to disappoint!

Eye is almost healed already, just a few hours later.

A lot of folks don't know, and I sure didn't until I learned some years ago, that the eye heals from minor injuries incredibly rapidly, within hours or overnight at the most. Had an eye doctor at the time tell me any scratch you think you've got in your eye that bothers you for more than that should be seen by an eye doc pronto because it means there's an object in there, even if you can't see it.

What happens next is even more scary-- the eye tissue actually *grows over* a foreign object that's not removed, and then that foreign object will often start to travel around as a result of your normal eye movements. I nearly lost my eyesight as a result of that phenomenon when a tiny and nearly invisible but hard speck got into my eye from some sandblasting I walked past one day.

After the doc found the little bastard and cut it out of my eye and sent me home, he told me that if it wasn't significantly less uncomfortable after 6 hours, he wanted me back in the emergency room, no kidding around. And it was. By morning, I hardly noticed it, and after 24 hours, I'd never know anything had been done to my eye.

So beware. Lots of tiny splinters and bits of ash flying around us wood burners that could get into the eye.

No disappointment.

So no doc from this injury?

I was wincing thinking of having anything cut from my eye. They'd have to knock me out.

woodchip said:
New safety gear, protects you from bungees, glasses, and dragons.

Wear with care.......... :)

armour-suit.jpg

Just don't wear in a thunderstorm... if the lightning doesn't get you the rust will!

basswidow said:
No disappointment.

So no doc from this injury?

I was wincing thinking of having anything cut from my eye. They'd have to knock me out.

No, no doc. thank goodness. It was just a good hard bump from the corner of the plastic goggles on a closed eyelid resulting in nothing more than a very minor surface abrasion on the white of the eye.

I'll tell ya, though, when you've had something in your eye for several days and you're about crazy insane from the irritation and at a point where you're actually whimpering all the time, the delicate scalpel coming towards it feels like the imminent arrival of blessed relief. They anesthetize your eye real good with some eyedrops, so you don't feel a thing. Yeah, it's a little unnerving, but emotionally it feels like the cavalry finally showed up to rescue you. Afterwards, there's a bit of an ache for a while, but that's a whole lot easier to deal with than the constant scritch, scritch, scritch, scritch.

I think from now on I'll put the safety goggles on over my eyeglasses, though.

Betcha I'm not the only one who's had one of the disposable fiber respirators snap back in the eyes ?

Backwoods Savage said:
:lol: Yes, some strange things can certainly happen. Glad this ended up just being one of those funny moments. Actually I'm betting most folks who have worn safety glasses has had that happen; maybe not to the eye but to the face somewhere.

dennis, i anticipated the outcome of your story and was laughing before i realized that it was "clean". (sister dated a man who had many jumps to his credit. then came home...to end up with a broken leg when....MY DAD GOT AHOLD OF HIM!!!)

i think anyone who has worn the goggles or particle masks frequently, have felt the sting of them in their eye! glad you are ok.

NH_Wood said:
Adios Pantalones said:
damn!

I was thinking bungee cords as I read the post - I've had one snap back hard, but luckily on my cheek, but, a little to close the eyes. Cheers!

Same thing here, but hit me in the gut. Slight cut and bruised a tad. I survived to tell the tale.
I don't trust 'em.

basswidow said:

That was my thought, too. The injury is from a pair of goggles, not a splitter. Talk about sensationalism to draw in readers! ;-)

Glad it was minor after all.

Kenster said:
basswidow said:

That was my thought, too. The injury is from a pair of goggles, not a splitter. Talk about sensationalism to draw in readers! ;-)

Glad it was minor after all.

You're a buncha ghouls.

Status
Not open for further replies.