Splitter purchase put on back burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I've been asking a lot of questions about splitters lately and you guys have been very helpful. Was strongly considering one of two that I have found.

1. 27 ton, virtually brand new Cub Cadet at a local pawn shop. Not tagged yet but was told the tag price was going to "probably" be $900.
Not sure what I could have gotten it for.

2. One year old Huskee 22 ton. Craiglist. Used only to split just a little wood for the owners barbecue smoker. Could have got it for $800.

The problem is that two neighbors were considering partnering with me. One decided to pass. The other one, an older gent on fixed income, would have gone thirds on one but can't afford to go half. None of us can really justify, or afford a splitter on our own. I only burn about a cord and a half a year but have close to four cords needing to be split right now. I guess a rental is in my future.

My only hope is if I can flat out steal that Pawn shop cub. If they were going to ask $900 they may have no more than $450 or $500 into it on a defaulted loan. If I could get it for $600 - $750 I'd be tempted to buy it, face my bride's wrath. Split all my wood for the next year, then sell it for a profit. By that point, I'd be about four years ahead and wouldn't need a splitter for a while. Surely I could make a couple hundred dollars on it. Beats spending that much for a few days rental.

But for the time being, that's exactly what I've resigned myself to doing, renting. sigh....

Man thinks buy or rent

Split the wood or marriage bliss

Wise is he who rents

Kenster said:
I've been asking a lot of questions about splitters lately and you guys have been very helpful. Was strongly considering one of two that I have found.

1. 27 ton, virtually brand new Cub Cadet at a local pawn shop. Not tagged yet but was told the tag price was going to "probably" be $900.
Not sure what I could have gotten it for.

2. One year old Huskee 22 ton. Craiglist. Used only to split just a little wood for the owners barbecue smoker. Could have got it for $800.

The problem is that two neighbors were considering partnering with me. One decided to pass. The other one, an older gent on fixed income, would have gone thirds on one but can't afford to go half. None of us can really justify, or afford a splitter on our own. I only burn about a cord and a half a year but have close to four cords needing to be split right now. I guess a rental is in my future.

My only hope is if I can flat out steal that Pawn shop cub. If they were going to ask $900 they may have no more than $450 or $500 into it on a defaulted loan. If I could get it for $600 - $750 I'd be tempted to buy it, face my bride's wrath. Split all my wood for the next year, then sell it for a profit. By that point, I'd be about four years ahead and wouldn't need a splitter for a while. Surely I could make a couple hundred dollars on it. Beats spending that much for a few days rental.

But for the time being, that's exactly what I've resigned myself to doing, renting. sigh....

I'm with you on the Cutting enough to sell and Pay for the Splitter. Around here you can get $150-$200 a cord (unseasoned) or $200-$300 for (1-2 yr seasoned) wood. Sell 2 years of "Your" wood (seasoned) and you will still have a yr or two on hand (cut more to season for later) and sell a cord or 2 of unseasoned once you get the splitter. Either way, whether you sell your wood or not... Find a way to buy it. I dint tell my Wife I bought my splitter till after it was Home. The same goes with my last Chainsaw (Husqvarna 435T). If I really want something. She knows I am gonna buy it anyway. We dont Buy each other Birthday presents or Cards/Valentines day gifts or cards/Sweetest Day/Mothers Day/Fathers day/Christmas/Etc... We both prefer to Buy our own gifts.. I know what I like. Simply put. She knows what she likes. Only been together 10 yrs. Its been like that since year one. I asked her what she wanted. She told me and then I said "How would you like to go get what you want"... She replied "Well..... I think that would be nice". So now... If we want it. We buy it.

(No. We are NOT Rich) I work at a Steel Mill and she is a Teacher. Regular people with regular jobs, that can budget to fit it some of the finer things in life (i.e- Wood Splitter's for Me and for the Woman "Diamonds").. You only live once and you will live longer if you use a wood splitter (Its HOT in Texas, using a maul could Kill you. LOL) Either way thats my opinion. I love my Wife, She puts up with my "Pellet and Wood Addiction"... As long as the house stays warm and I save $Thousands$ a year doing it... I hear NO complaints....... I Have 4 stoves total, after 2 I though she would $hit.. But she keeps letting me buy them. (5 if you count the pellet stove in my garage I got for my Father).

So do what you will, but that Pawn Shop may take $600 for it. Most places like that have a 33% mark-up. Worth a shot. Worse case, they say NO, we will take $650.... You never know???

Kenster, you oughta give it a shot at the pawn shop, anyhow. Go in and browse a little while and buy some trivial something for a couple of bucks. Then casually ask'em if they ever sold that splitter. If they haven't ask'em how much they want for it. It will be too much. Give them a counter offer. The worst they can say is "no". Who knows, you might be able to rent it out to your neighbors. ;)

When I bought my splitter it was out of necessity. My elbows are all but shot and my back isn't in the best of shape, either. After doing some hand splitting for a while I saw quickly that it was working on my left elbow in a bad way. The sad thing is that I really enjoyed the hand splitting. I'm just hoping my body can hold out for a while and I can keep cutting.

Make'em an offer...

Best wishes,
Ed

Kenster said:
Beats spending that much for a few days rental

Why a few days rental for only 4 cord. Thats an afternoons work. This photo is a days worth of splitting. $65 Canadian. ;-)
I cant even justify a splitter. Pick it up on a Saturday at closing and return it Monday in the AM = 1 day rental.
Cheers

Attachments

• getting ahead.jpg
    getting ahead.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 383
The Huskee can be had for 999 and you can find a 10% discount if you work the manager. They were rumored to have gone up, but I still see them at 999. Offer 700 if you look at that one. The MTD at the pawn shop may go in the 700 range too. But why spend 700 for a used machine when you may get a new one with a warranty for 900? 200 in repairs is pretty much anything that breaks these days. Just a thought. Maybe scrounge more wood for now and rent the splitter so you get all your monies worth from the rental. Sell some of the unneeded and put money in a box for a future splitter.

Rent money is just down payment money.
I've never rented anything, ever.
With the price of everything going up lately if you make the right deal you're likely to be able to sell it for what you have into it in a couple years after you've made a few bucks selling extra wood.
Like myway sez new ones are 999 at TSC. Try to work them down to $5-600.
Pawn something you dont need for awhile to get the money.

Bite the bullet and buy one. You'll be glad you did.I hemmed and hawed for months, trolling cragislist and fleebay and finally got a mint 28 ton Huskee for $1000.00. I wind up putting another $200 in upgrades into it (splitting cradle, upgraded hydraulic lines, better coupler etc), but the peace of mind of having that thing in my shed is well worth it. I can drag it out, split for an hour or so and drag it back into the shed. With a rental unit, you have to go pedal to the metal to get as much done as quickly as you can. And what did you get for your rental fee? That money could have been depoloyed towards a splitter that you can one day sell and get most if not all of your investment back.

Status
Not open for further replies.