Splitter Questions and Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
I tried out a Speeco electric splitter from TSC this weekend but it's not splitting everything I need it to so am taking it back and am looking for advice on a gas splitter.......I've done some searches and read a lot of posts but am suffering from info overload. I think I understand the good and bad from reading all the long running arguments on verticle vs. horizontal. Right now I'm looking at the following:

Troy-bilt 27 ton from Lowes ($1299)
MTD 25 ton from Home Depot ($1297)
Huskee 22 ton from TSC ($999)
Powerhorse 20 ton from Northern tool ($999)

The Troy-bilt and MTD seem to be pretty much the same thing, both will do horizontal or verticle, but the Troy has a honda engine (aren't those suspossed to last forever?). The Huskee is about $300 cheaper and seems as capable as the MTD and Troy. The Powerhorse has two different configuratons, both priced about the same, one goes horizontal and verticle, and one is only horizontal but splits on both strokes and both have log cradles. But the closest Northern Tool is an hour away and their splitters have to be assembled.

Will 20 tons handle anything Im likely to encounter, I have a lot of Sweetgum on my property? So is the Honda engine worth the extra cost? How about the Briggs? I believe I remember reading that not all Briggs engines are equal as far as quality goes. Anyone have any expirence with Northern Tool in general and the Powerhorse specifically? I'm leaning toward the Huskee since the TSC is 3 minutes from my house and I haven't seen any bad reports.

Another questions is should I look at used? I've had good luck with CL and buying tools from Home Depot rentals section (got a 6401 from there earlier this year).

I've got the 25-ton Yard Machines, which is similar to the MTD and Troy-Bilt (same company). It's a powerful little guy and, with a wheel thrown on the front, is super easy to move around and use. HOWEVER, there's a thread around here identifying a potential issues with the cylinders on these machines.

Other than a couple connection issues, I've not heard anything negative about the Huskee for a grand (was $850 last week). Had I not gotten my Yard Machines for $500, I'd have bought the Huskee--I'm not sure there's anything you couldn't do with it that you could with the others, and $300 would go a long way for more toys or maintenance/repair.

Good luck,

S

I have a 35 ton Huskee (TSC) and am very happy with it. I hear nothing but positive about the 22 ton as well. I went with the 35 because we are using it to split for 2 households and then sell what is left over. Get the 22 ton Huskee and you will be very happy with it. As long as you don't get the extended warranty, service will be second to none.
Go with company reputation!!!

Honda engines are nice, even after sitting they start right up and their quiet.

spur0701 said:
I tried out a Speeco electric splitter from TSC this weekend but it's not splitting everything I need it to so am taking it back and am looking for advice on a gas splitter.......I've done some searches and read a lot of posts but am suffering from info overload. I think I understand the good and bad from reading all the long running arguments on verticle vs. horizontal. Honestly, while Backwoods and I are always kidding each other on the right way and wrong way of splitting wood (he likes to split the majority of his wood with the splitter vertically, I do so horizontally) the truth is it's really nice to either have a splitter that can do either way (so you can find which way you prefer . . . plus while I split most of the wood horizontally, on the really big monsters I just go vertical and roll them up to the splitter) . . . or get a splitter with an attachment such as a Log Lifter. Right now I'm looking at the following:

Troy-bilt 27 ton from Lowes ($1299)
Powerhorse 20 ton from Northern tool ($999)

The Troy-bilt and MTD seem to be pretty much the same thing, both will do horizontal or verticle, but the Troy has a honda engine (aren't those suspossed to last forever?). Well there reason for this is because they are pretty much the same splitter -- MTD builds a lot of spliters and then paints them a different color, throws on different stickers and adds a few extras (trailer lights, splitting table, etc.) depending on the manufacturer. If you look around you'll see that there are many, many other brands out there . . . that are pretty much idential to MTD. The Huskee is about $300 cheaper and seems as capable as the MTD and Troy. The Powerhorse has two different configuratons, both priced about the same, one goes horizontal and verticle, and one is only horizontal but splits on both strokes and both have log cradles. But the closest Northern Tool is an hour away and their splitters have to be assembled. It seems as though for most folks the choice comes down to MTD (and their clones) or the Huskee/Speeco . . . once in a while you'll hear of someone with an Iron/Oak, Powerhorse or other brand . . . but most folks go with those two basic choices . . . probably because they're so readily available.

Will 20 tons handle anything Im likely to encounter, I have a lot of Sweetgum on my property? Most folks have 20-22 ton splitters and they say these handle most everything they come across.

So is the Honda engine worth the extra cost? My own take . . . when I was looking at a splitter I wanted a Honda engine since I'm a big fan of Honda -- I own an Acord, Foreman ATV and a walk behind mower. However, I realized that for the money I could get a splitter with a decent Briggs engine and quite honestly this engine has been just as reliable as my Honda small engines -- quickly and easily starting . . . plus I figured if I ever need to fix it Briggs parts are easily found and not overly expensive . . . heck, for the price I could easily re-power the splitter by just buying a whole new engine.

How about the Briggs? I've been quite happy with my Briggs engine.

I believe I remember reading that not all Briggs engines are equal as far as quality goes. Anyone have any expirence with Northern Tool in general and the Powerhorse specifically? I'm leaning toward the Huskee since the TSC is 3 minutes from my house and I haven't seen any bad reports.

Another questions is should I look at used? I've had good luck with CL and buying tools from Home Depot rentals section (got a 6401 from there earlier this year). I suspect you'll find that buying used can be a crap shoot and many folks report that used prices are not a whole lot cheaper than buying brand new.

I picked up the huskee 22 ton a little over a year ago and have run around 15 cords through it - nothing it cant handle. I certainly would not spend more for a home owner machine. Given that you live "3 min" from the TSC my story may be worth reading for you....
In doing the research that your doing now it became apparent to me that I should check out the Huskee so one Saturday afternoon I took a ride and dropped in at the closest TSC store to me (about 20 min drive) to see them first hand. The store had a bunch of them out in their lot. I was browsing around and noticed two of them with repair paperwork on them. Both looked brand new... one was repaired for a hydraulic issue which scared me but the other was repaired for a "sticky control lever" (the lever used to move it up and down). I got hold of a salesman and we fired it up, ran fine. They ended up giving me it for 25% off the $999 sales price ($750) with full warrantee. I think what happens is guys buy it, use it to split for a day and return it claiming there is some sort of issue. Given that you live that close I would keep a close eye out for a deal like this.
Good luck.

While I am quite happy with it I have two small complaints (which may be common with other brands IDK):
1) I prefer splitting in vertical mode. The plate that the log sits on is too small (may be ok for horizontal but I dont use it that way). This is a minor complaint but it certainly would be nicer if the plate was bigger
2) I have had the hydraulic return hose spring a leak twice, both times right near the connection to the filter. Others have commented in this forum about similar problems.

With the choices given - I would have to point you to the huskee. With as many long time users that have beat these things for years still reporting positive feed back - how can you go wrong.

Just sayin' - they have a very good reputation, and if I were in the market for a splitter - it would be on the short list, for sure.

I have the 15 ton gas Speeco. After 2 seasons (about 10 cords) I have no idea why this little gas splitter is not more popular. Have encountered very little it won't split. It does have a Loncin (ching chong) engine, but it has had no problems whatsoever and starts everytime. Light weight and easy to drag around the yard by hand.

I'm of the opinion that a big chainsaw is a lot more fun than a big wood splitter. So if I get rounds over 20", I usually rip or quarter them with a chainsaw first.

We have a 20 ton MTD which is around 20 years old and has split a couple hundred cord of wood. It does everything we need it to do and in all this time and splitting we found one piece it did not want to go through. Perhaps I could have split it but it was an ugly piece so I just threw it onto a brush pile and forgot it. Only one piece in all this time ain't too bad methinks. I also am a fan of Honda machines, however, our splitter has a 5 hp Briggss & Stratton engine. It is starting to use some oil but that has been the only problem we've had with the entire splitter.

There are many good ones on the market and it is hard to go wrong. Much todo is made over cycle times but in my book that is a non-issue unless one is splitting commercially. My little 20 ton is plenty fast enough for me.

Also you learn little tricks when splitting wood with hydraulics. Easy to learn, easy to work with.

And folks would probably be disappointed if I did not mention that vertical is the only logical way to split wood.

Backwoods Savage said:
We have a 20 ton MTD which is around 20 years old and has split a couple hundred cord of wood. It does everything we need it to do and in all this time and splitting we found one piece it did not want to go through. Perhaps I could have split it but it was an ugly piece so I just threw it onto a brush pile and forgot it. Only one piece in all this time ain't too bad methinks. I also am a fan of Honda machines, however, our splitter has a 5 hp Briggss & Stratton engine. It is starting to use some oil but that has been the only problem we've had with the entire splitter.

There are many good ones on the market and it is hard to go wrong. Much todo is made over cycle times but in my book that is a non-issue unless one is splitting commercially. My little 20 ton is plenty fast enough for me.

Also you learn little tricks when splitting wood with hydraulics. Easy to learn, easy to work with.

And folks would probably be disappointed if I did not mention that vertical is the only logical way to split wood.

:) HehHeh . . . you know it Dennis.

Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis: My back is hurting watching you vertically split wood in your Avatar. You have not changes positions for months - at least slide over a little on your milk crate!

If I was about to buy another splitter I would go with the huskee. If you can step up to the price of the full I-beam MTD/Troy Built splitters with end mount cylinders, then I would say give them a try. If the 22 ton huskee is going for $850 I wouldn't look back and skip on the MTD. What is the 28 ton huskee going for?

Don't be like me and buy a splitter because it has a honda motor. The B & S motors do just fine with proper maintenance.

We went with the 37 ton splitter from Northern Tool. I believe it is a Northstar. We have not found a chunk of wood yet that it won't spilit. We split hedge, oak, hickory, locust, and ash. It has alot of torque and the Honda engine starts easy and runs smooth. The price can be somewhat scary, but it has been well worth it so far.

I have over 100 cords on the troy built. No Issue Yet.

I'm gonna be picking one of these up early next week.
Is the Huskee also a vertical/horizontal?
I'm leaning towards the Huskee but want to stop at HD first. In this area splitters are not a really big seller so would like to talk to a manager and see if I can get the price down. I'm not much of a wheeler and dealer and am wondering what would be a fair deal?

The two Huskee 22 ton splitters I've used/borrowed this year have worked great. Popped 18-20" rounds of stringy elm no problem.

On the Huskee brand, how is the ram speed?
I notice a big difference in splitters is often the speed.
Some are fairly quick, others move so slow it would easily double your time to split a chord of wood.

Mcbride said:
Some are fairly quick, others move so slow it would easily double your time to split a chord of wood.

The cycle time on the Huskee 22-ton is specified as 14 seconds, which is pretty much what you'll find on comparable models from more expensive brands. Note that Huskee is made by SpeeCo, which makes a wide variety of splitters having different cycle times and includes some models faster than 14s. For the record, I own a Huskee 35-ton model with a 15s cycle time.

Mcbride said:

I think cycle time/ram speed is over rated .... you rarely bring it all the way down or up. A machine would have to have an incredibly slow cycle time to be a problem.

I have Huskee 22 ton and the cycle time is no issue at all for me.

Got Wood said:
I think cycle time/ram speed is over rated .... you rarely bring it all the way down or up. A machine would have to have an incredibly slow cycle time to be a problem.

For the most part, I agree. A couple months ago, I did use a rental 25-ton splitter with a much slower cycle time than mine, and it did get to be annoying after a while. The Huskee 22-ton model has more than enough speed to keep up with the pace that is comfortable for me.

Got Wood said:
Mcbride said:

Have you ever tried using the 27 ton by MTD or any of MTD's clones. The cycle time is listed as 19 secs for those models, too slow for me but lived with it until it gave up. If the 22 ton huskee is 14 secs that would make a big difference in production for me. The huskee can also be used in both H/V and has a full I-Beam with the cylinder supported/mounted at the end instead of a floating cylinder mounted on trunion clys like the 27 ton MTD's.

Thanks for the replies to cycle time.
A friend bought a cheapy at Home Hardware, it was painfully slow.

So much so he returned it after a couple days and bought a different one, said the new one is literally 3 times as fast.

To me at least, doubling or tripling the ram speed is a HUGE factor in what I would buy.
If doing a partial stroke to split most wood can be say 7 seconds per piece to slit vs. say 20 seconds to split it, thats a lot over the lifetime of a splitter doing 10's of thousands, if not 100's of thousands of splits.

It's pretty common for splitters to have a 24" or longer stroke, but if you're splitting 16" logs or smaller, you don't need all that length and the extra travel time. You can limit the stroke manually with the valve control handle, or you can place stroke limiters on the rod to do it for you. Something like these:

Stroke Control with Finger Tab

Are you SURE the Huskee 22 ton isnt BOTH horz/vert??? I got mine a month ago ($999 with $150 rebate in form of TSC gift card), and it is ,INDEED both vertical and horizontal.

Status
Not open for further replies.