Splitter use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
I need an idea whether it's best to leave the motor running while getting more rounds ready, or shutting it off.
I've been shutting it down, while putting more rounds next to the splitter, and it takes a couple minutes to do that.
Just curious what others do.

Depends on how much gas I have...lol It does save on fuel to shut it down. Mine fires on the first pull so if I am running by myself I will shut it down.

PapaDave said:
Funny. I do the same.
Splitter starts first pull after warm, so real easy. I just thought maybe it might cause more wear and tear.
Thanks, sj

Seems like it should be less wear other than the rope. lol

I just idle the engine if I do something like that.

Depends on how much time between rounding up new rounds I think I'll need.
If over a few minutes, I shut it off.
Then I don't rush.
It is amazing that 1 helper will get the wood split at least 3 times faster.
So when I have a big amount to split & can, I try to round up a helper &
sometimes I just need to get away & prefer to do it alone, so I'm not in a rush, I shut it down.
Make room for more splits during the down time. Less noise too, my "quiet time" for me. :)

Dave, that is terrible. I could hardly believe when I learned that many splitter motors have no throttle! I can not believe it is good for an engine to run at full throttle all the time and especially when the engine is cold. Perhaps you could find a way to put one on?

Status
Not open for further replies.