Splitting Axe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Senatormofo

Jan 16, 2012
Cockeysville, Maryland
I was about to buy a new splitting maul and someone suggested I try a Fiskars X25 Splitting Axe. The 28" handle scares me a bit. I'm 5'-10". It also seems a bit on the light side at 4.5 lbs. I am usually splitting medium to large rounds of locust and oak and I was hoping to get an opinion or two on the usefulness of this little fella.

I've got the X27. I"m 6'1", and usually split with the logs on the ground (i.e. not sitting on another stump).

The fiskars splitting axe is a beast. don't let the light weight fool you. Its all about force.

F=1/2 x mass x velocity squared.

so if you want to double your force, you can double the mass of the maul head (5lb vs 10lb), OR, you can increase the speed of the maul head by ~20%.

The fiskars is designed for fast head speed. It has a sharp blade (for going deep faster/longer), it has special metal that is impregnated with a low friction material (kind of like teflon...the axe head feels kind of slippery), and the shape of the wedge in the axe head is designed to maintain as high a head velocity as possible.

I have 3 friends (traditional maul users) that were doubtful of how awesome this thing is. I let them try it on some freshly cut green red oak longs (~20in long, 12in diameter).

All three are now going out an buying a fiskars!

For $40, its hard to go wrong with this thing!

Definitely get the Fiskars X27. I've been splitting 12"-18" Ponderosa pine with mine. Sometimes it even takes 3 or 4 swings, but the axe seems to want to land in the same spot as last swing. :) You won't be sorry.

Senatormofo said:
I was about to buy a new splitting maul and someone suggested I try a Fiskars X25 Splitting Axe. The 28" handle scares me a bit. I'm 5'-10". It also seems a bit on the light side at 4.5 lbs. I am usually splitting medium to large rounds of locust and oak and I was hoping to get an opinion or two on the usefulness of this little fella.
Welcome, Sen! :)
I've got the X-27 also; Like CT Burner said, it's all about head speed. The longer the handle, the more speed you can get. I know Black Locust is easy to split, as is Red/Black Oak. I just scored some White Oak, which is a little tougher. I ended up breaking out the wedges and sledge to trailer some of those rounds, which ranged up to 27". But many I could handle with the Fiskars by splitting off the edges.
Lots of threads in the Gear Forum on these gems...

Senatormofo said:

Definitely go out and buy the heaviest, longest handled maul you can find. Nothing under 12lbs and 42" long.

CT Burner said:
I've got the X27. I"m 6'1", and usually split with the logs on the ground (i.e. not sitting on another stump).

The fiskars splitting axe is a beast. don't let the light weight fool you. Its all about force.

so if you want to double your force, you can double the mass of the maul head (5lb vs 10lb), OR, you can increase the speed of the maul head by ~20%.

The fiskars is designed for fast head speed. It has a sharp blade (for going deep faster/longer), it has special metal that is impregnated with a low friction material (kind of like teflon...the axe head feels kind of slippery), and the shape of the wedge in the axe head is designed to maintain as high a head velocity as possible.

I have 3 friends (traditional maul users) that were doubtful of how awesome this thing is. I let them try it on some freshly cut green red oak longs (~20in long, 12in diameter).

Your math for determining force is totally bogus; you're really looking at kinetic energy.

For maximizing that, I've found that a 6 lb maul is just about right. With metallurgy different from Fiskars, so that it's not brittle and chipping at the edge. Seems to me that the head shape works best when it has "chubby cheeks" that start spreading the sides of the split very shortly after breaking the surface of the wood.

Sorry, but your statement about the shape of the wedge and head velocity makes no sense.

Too bad, but some folks are not fanboys for new toys. I am a fanboy for honest rational evaluations; this ain't it.

I broke my Fiskers yesterday....I'm off to sears Saturday for a new one...I think it was my fault, but it is a great ax.

Yank.

Yes, kinetic energy vs what...potential energy? Energy in motion is kinetic energy.

The fiskars is designed to 'maintain' as much head speed as possible as it is penetrating the wood and throughout the splitting process.

It does this via, 1. Sharper blade, 2. Slippery metal 3. Special wedge shape.

You could put a sharp edge on a Traditional maul, but you still dont have 2 and 3 above.

A heavier head requires more work to lift ( building up potential energy), but the fiskars makes up for head weight by it's faster head speed throughout the splitting process.

Yes, with the sharp blade on the fiskars, you can chip/tip you head more easily, so that is a down side.

How can you say a 6lb head is 'just about right'? If I had a 3lb head but with twice the head speed, it would blow away your 6lb head in terms of kinetic energy. Just do the math.

In the end, it's ALL about kinetic energy. If you are arguing from the side of momentum, then for a given velocity, the heavier head has greater momentum. The fiskars, again, is designed to maintain a faster head velocity once it hits the wood...thus keeping it's momentum up as it goest thru the wood.....vs a heavy dull maul that decelerates faster...and hence loses it's weight based momentum advantage.

I've got a 6lb, $15.00 toolbarn special that I've been using for almost twenty years and it has served me well...I split directly on the ground OR if the rounds are in the 12" to 15" range I like to split them golf-swing style. Now that I have the Swisher 22 ton hydraulic I don't use the maul as often but I had it out last week and did two cord with it, and it felt great!! Not saying the Fiskars isn't a good axe but I don't think it is entirely necessary.

I have found that on certain wood types like oak that is freshly cut and depending on width the fiskars gets stuck. I bought the X25 and found it is to short for splitting on the ground and i'm 5'9". Would definitely go with the X27 and get the sharpner too. Found that it works best if sharpened often and don't for a second think that it will be exploding rounds in half for you on the 1st swing every time.

CTYank said:
CT Burner said:

I have never actually swung a Fiskars

Fixed

Bigg_Redd said:
CTYank said:
I have never actually swung a Fiskars

Fixed
That was going to be my next question for CTYank. Equations are fine, and I'm interested in researching them further as they apply to splitting. But in head-to-head comparison the X-27's advantages are obvious...and us old guys like a light ax. :smirk: I've also got the Ludell for times when a more aggressive wedge works.

Ditto. I've got a home depot 8lb maul that I've used for years. Did it work....yes. Is the fiskars easier to swing/operate for me......yes.

But hey, if what ya got works for ya, then go for it.

I'm a newbie here and I surely appreciate all of the suggestions and comments on this thread! After reading all of your comments, I think I'm going to go for the X27! The X25 may be too short since I split many rounds on the ground. After many years using a 9 lb maul and a Monster Maul, I think I'm ready for something lighter. I'm not getting any younger and the heavy weight wreaks havoc on my lower back. I have used many Fiskars cutting products (scissors and pruners) in the past and I have been very happy with the quality. It sounds like the X27 is no different. At this point, I'm looking forward to swinging a lighter, high performance axe and I'll let you know how I like it after it breaks me in! Thanks again for steering me in the right direction and Cheers!

Reactions: n6crv
CT Burner said:
Ditto. I've got a home depot 8lb maul that I've used for years. Did it work....yes. Is the fiskars easier to swing/operate for me......yes.

But hey, if what ya got works for ya, then go for it.

Same here and I still use the maul for really big rounds. But I tried the Fiskars on some green madrona this year and it was awesome. It sliced through the rounds like butter. At times I was laughing it was so easy. With the right kind of wood I would definitely use it again. I can split wood faster than with our power splitter and it's a lot quieter. I also found it less fatiguing than the maul, so I got more wood split. I'll still use the maul for my stringier tough stuff, but for nice, clear grain wood the Fiskars has me sold.

yep...the fiskars can make you giggle when you are ripping thru the rounds.

I put a chain rig together like this guy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrLiSMQGHvY

Huge time saver...and keeps you from bending over after each swing.

Let us know if it does the job for ya!

CT Burner said:
yep...the fiskars can make you giggle when you are ripping thru the rounds.

I put a chain rig together like this guy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrLiSMQGHvY

Huge time saver...and keeps you from bending over after each swing.

Let us know if it does the job for ya!

How large of a round have you used that on? Seems better than a tire i have seen some people using.

I've gone up to 16" diameter with it. By it will easil do 24. Heck, you could do 36...just need enough chain!

CTYank said:
CT Burner said:

Your math for determining force is totally bogus; you're really looking at kinetic energy.

For maximizing that, I've found that a 6 lb maul is just about right. With metallurgy different from Fiskars, so that it's not brittle and chipping at the edge. Seems to me that the head shape works best when it has "chubby cheeks" that start spreading the sides of the split very shortly after breaking the surface of the wood.

Sorry, but your statement about the shape of the wedge and head velocity makes no sense.

Too bad, but some folks are not fanboys for new toys. I am a fanboy for honest rational evaluations; this ain't it.

With all due respect; but is your "opinion" based on actual usage of the Fiskars???? If not, IMHO, your "opinion" is totally bogus because it's not a honest rational evaluation.

I just bought an X25 Fiskars. I've split about 1.5 cords of volunteer ash with it. 1 strike will break open every 12-14 incher. For the larger cuts, I use my wedges and split them in half and then go to the Fiskars around the halves......similar to the fellow in the video. I don't have the chain and bungee thing though............future project.

I'm a big "fanboy" for my Fiskars splitting axe!!!

CTYank said:

No.

He's not a fanboy of fiskars...but im guessing he is has a computer and a cell phone :) ....not that we would ever want to try something different.

CT Burner said:
He's not a fanboy of fiskars...but im guessing he is has a computer and a cell phone :) ....not that we would ever want to try something different.

Is it omnipotence or ignorance that's "bliss"??!! ;-)

The only people who think old school 6 or 8 pound mauls and those crazy monster mauls are better than the Fiskars splitting tools are people who haven't used the Fiskars splitting tools.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Flatbedford said:
The only people who think old school 6 or 8 pound mauls and those crazy monster mauls are better than the Fiskars splitting tools are people who haven't used the Fiskars splitting tools.
I agree for the most part, bought a hyd so dont use my fiskers any more but I found it to be better than the maul I had, I have used my friends monster maul and that is a POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.