Splitting done today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
The date on the camera is screwed up it changed to the 25th after taking 2 pictures, it was raining all day but I decided to split some wood.

Had a good day splitting but it was wet and cold.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0455.jpg
    100_0455.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 333
  • 100_0457.jpg
    100_0457.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 326
  • 100_0458.jpg
    100_0458.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 321
  • 100_0459.jpg
    100_0459.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 331
Good work Zap.

Do you not retract that ram all the way even when you store it?

As you know, I do all the splitting in the spring. Then before I put it away I will put oil on the beam (in the horizontal position) and run the ram down. Then put a little more oil on and bring it back up. Then I change the oil in the engine and it is all set for a sleep.

Nice work Zap! Not fun to split/stack in the rain - how many pairs of gloves did you go through!? I can only work in soaked work gloves for so long before I need to switch to a dry pair! Cheers!

Backwoods Savage said:
Good work Zap.

Do you not retract that ram all the way even when you store it?

As you know, I do all the splitting in the spring. Then before I put it away I will put oil on the beam (in the horizontal position) and run the ram down. Then put a little more oil on and bring it back up. Then I change the oil in the engine and it is all set for a sleep.

Sav I retract the ram, I had already started to bring it down then stopped to take a picture.

Zap

NH_Wood said:
Nice work Zap! Not fun to split/stack in the rain - how many pairs of gloves did you go through!? I can only work in soaked work gloves for so long before I need to switch to a dry pair! Cheers!

NH_wOOD thanks, I stayed with one pair of gloves and my hands are just warming up.

My clock on my camera was off twelve hours.

Zap

zapny said:
NH_Wood said:

NH_wOOD thanks, I stayed with one pair of gloves and my hands are just warming up.

My clock on my camera was off twelve hours.

Zap

I bet they are! I've worn a soaked pair for a long time before, felt pretty warm except for my hands, took off the gloves to grab a beer (was only stacking!), and by the time I came back the gloves were frozen solid! Cheers!

Good job even though it's not as much fun in the rain!

quads said:

Thanks Quads, I'll take the rain instead of the 20 inches of snow they called for.

Zap

zapny said:
quads said:

Thanks Quads, I'll take the rain instead of the 20 inches of snow they called for.

Zap
I agree! I like cold weather, but by this time of year I'm ready for rain to make the snow go away.

I split and cut almost a cord of locust today. It was sunny and 23* with some wind. It was so pleasant I laid down on the logs and fell asleep for a while. I even saw a big rooster pheasant cackling away. Spring is coming soon and want my wood split and stacked soon or I can do it when it's muddy. If I don't ge teat done when it's muddy I have to do it with the misquitos.

Good job. Working in the rain at that temp is worse than working a 10 °. (we had 4" of snow today)
You earned a "hot toddie" (I like Baileys & hot chocolate). Warms you right up.
Locust: the "gold standard" of fire wood! Good score.

I moved wood and split in the rain also. Did it since they said it would snow tonight into Friday. Had to get wood from the pile to the porch. I was wet already so I also split some wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.