splitting Ironwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehouse

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2011
Upstate NY
I've been Hand-splitting Ironwood (hop hornbeam), about 12" 'round by 14" and would caution anyone to turn the heart away from you after busting the round. The quarters won't split all the way to center but shake out a spoke that comes back at you in a particularly malevolent fashion.

Ehouse

I've been doing the same recently myself. I did have a couple come at me. What I ended up doing was splitting two of the edges off the round, maybe about 3 inches thick in the middle. I then spilt the end pieces in half and what was left of the round in half. That gave me 4 smallish spilts and two nice, roughly 6X6 spilts which are flat on three sides from each round. It also reduced the projectiles. I can't wait to put one of those bigger spilts on for a cold night! Ironwood is fantastic. I just wish I had more this big.

I'm surprised at how easily it splits aside from that. I've never used it. Does it need long seasoning? Seems pretty dry but I've only been cutting it dead. They flop over before they get too big. Sounds like a good way to do it.

Ehouse

Ehouse said:
I'm surprised at how easily it splits aside from that. I've never used it. Does it need long seasoning? Seems pretty dry but I've only been cutting it dead. They flop over before they get too big. Sounds like a good way to do it.

Ehouse
Not sure how long hop hornbeam takes to season, but I know that it's great wood, I believe only hedge is higher in btu's than hop hornbeam. It is some hard stuff, they used to use that stuff to make ball bearings used in ships, the stuff would never break down and it would not rust or rot like a metal bearing would.

krex1010 said:
It is some hard stuff, they used to use that stuff to make ball bearings used in ships, the stuff would never break down and it would not rust or rot like a metal bearing would.

Nope. They used Lignum Vitae for roller bearings/bushings in marine & other uses.Not Hophornbeam/Ironwood.Though occasionally Lignum was called Ironwood in the past,not very often though.I have a few tiny Lignum roller bearings from an old set of venetian blinds,they look just like wooden spools used to hold thread,just much smaller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae

MasterMech said:
Doesn't it sink in water too?

Nope,Hophornbeam dont sink,though its close when green.About the same weight per cubic foot as Osage/Hedge,a bit more than the Hickories.

saving some limbs for walking sticks also!

Ehouse

Thistle said:
krex1010 said:
It is some hard stuff, they used to use that stuff to make ball bearings used in ships, the stuff would never break down and it would not rust or rot like a metal bearing would.

Nope. They used Lignum Vitae for roller bearings/bushings in marine & other uses.Not Hophornbeam/Ironwood.Though occasionally Lignum was called Ironwood in the past,not very often though.I have a few tiny Lignum roller bearings from an old set of venetian blinds,they look just like wooden spools used to hold thread,just much smaller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae

I stand corrected, I knew the wood they used for those bearings was called ironwood, guess there is more than one species called ironwood depending on where you are. At least I remembered that there was a wood used for bearings, my memory works halfway at least lol

Slow seasoning wood, needs a good base of coals, and creates awesome coals once it burns. Probably one of my favorite woods because of it's combination of high BTU content but piece of cake to split by hand nature.

Ehouse said:

Ehouse

Another great use for Hophornbeam/Ironwood - Mallets,Chisel & Tool Handles.One of the best domestic woods for that.Excellent wood for turning on lathe & carving/sculpture because of its very fine close texture.Quickly dulls chisels,gouges,planer knives & sawblades though.

Attachments

• ironwood & cherry20511.jpg
    ironwood & cherry20511.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 423
  • mallet 2.jpg
    mallet 2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 421
Thistle said:
Ehouse said:

Ehouse

Another great use for Hophornbeam/Ironwood - Mallets,Chisel & Tool Handles.One of the best domestic woods for that.Excellent wood for turning on lathe & carving/sculpture because of its very fine close texture.Quickly dulls chisels,gouges,planer knives & sawblades though.

That's some beautiful artwork!! Man I would be proud to possess anything like that to display here!!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.