Splitting Maul Fiberglass Handle -- Unbreakable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
I usually put a rubber handle saver, like this:

HS-picwith-150.jpg

on my sledge, but I can't fit it on my new splitting maul. The maul has a fiberglass handle -- is that likely to break with an overstrike (sometimes I'll use the maul to drive wedges)?

Thanks,

Al

Fiberglass is OK,they are slick when wet though & I've seen them break same as hickory with careless aim & abuse.My Plumb 4lb double bit axe is over 60 yrs old,have owned it since 1985 & the handle was old when I bought it.Few small dings & gouges on the neck over the years,but no cracks or breaks.It shrunk a bit over time also,did have to oil it a few times & put a 2nd steel wedge to tighten it back up.Damn thing probably outlast me now lol

I broke a chunk out of mine, but it was from hitting rebar with it. Otherwise it's held up for a few years now, and I'm pretty hard on handles (see previous sentence).

I wonder what the difference is between manufacturers? I have seen 2 fiberglass handles break & 1 fall out shortly after purchase. I have tought myself to put on new wood handles and they get good reviews. I had a friend with several heads 2yrs. back, the neighbor across the street gave me a bunch of handles. I spent a week or so in the garage fitting the handles up. It was a lot of work but the mauls & axes are still holding just fine. I liked reading about the process and doing the work. :smirk:

I'm also hard on handles so I found a homemade one with a steel pipe handle. works great exept your gloves will freeze to the handle. My friends don't like it but I do, and I won't have
to loan it out that way.

Take better aim.

WarmGuy said:
I usually put a rubber handle saver, like this:

HS-picwith-150.jpg

on my sledge, but I can't fit it on my new splitting maul. The maul has a fiberglass handle -- is that likely to break with an overstrike (sometimes I'll use the maul to drive wedges)?

Thanks,

Al
A good fiberglass care/polypropylene handle will probably withstand more over-strikes than a wooden handle, if you have that problem. The fiberglass handle on my maul lasted more than 25 years/125 full cord with no over-strikes. What finally did it in was the epoxy started to crack and loosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.