Splitting Sycamore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kestrel

Nov 17, 2009
Southcentral PA
Just got done splitting some sycamore I brought back from a coworkers house who had a bunch of wood down and wanted to get it off his property. Got some ash, sugar maple, white oak, and beech in the deal but he also had a pile of sycamore he wanted rid of. After reading mixed reviews on it I was hesitant to take it, but was doing him the favor to get it off his property. I had read that it was horrible to split. I was out splitting this morning with a maul and found that although it is a bit difficult to split, it is definetely nowhere near elm as far as splitting difficulty. Also, the huge rounds are so light that I can lift them over my head and convince my kids that I have superhuman strength.

You are the man. I got some this fall and can't imagine splitting it by hand. There wasn't a straight round in the entire tree.

Attachments

• 102210 Sycamore split.jpg
    102210 Sycamore split.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 715
  • 102210 processed.jpg
    102210 processed.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 781
Good luck. Its can be a real b*#ch to split,though frozen & green would be a bit easier.Interlocked grain almost as bad as American Elm.

Sycamore is great firewood - don't underestimate it. In my opinion, it's the most underrated firewood out there. I don't think twice about taking free sycamore. I do have a hydraulic splitter, so splitting it is easy for me. On the downside, it does leave lots of ashes. But it's still one of my favorite woods.

It is not all the same either. I have had some that split easy and some that, well, split is not exactly what it did....crumble we be more like it. And sometimes it's better firewood than other times. I think Sycamore just varies a lot from tree to tree. My experience anyway.

Very large old ones tend to hollow out quickly,early settlers & wildlife still used them for shelter.

I like burning it in the fall and spring. The trees I had were almost as hard to split by hand as elm is.

burn it and be careful as it heats up fast as heck. I had seven cords from one tree we took down at our place. 52" trunk.....what a beotch even with a good splitter.

I love sycamore, everybody else round here avoids it, so I can pick up as much as I want.

I work on the basis that if you can survive on wood that everybody else ignores, you can carve out a good little niche for yourself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.