Splitting Vertical. WOW less work on the back. Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
I think I could get used to splitting vertical pretty easy. It was less work on the lower back, allot less bending over & lifting.
Maybe I'm just getting old but pretty sweet & fun to have some big rounds to split. Got 8 splits from one round.
I cut the biggest healthy birch I've ever cut. So big I needed help getting it on the truck. 20" bar just barely made it.
Was cutting on the Parks highway upgrade clearing in Willow Ak, Got some big spruce too.
Anyway, vertical was the only way I could've split it. I don't think the maul would've done much but gave me more of a back ache.
I left a little angel on the beam so the round would stay on, so not fully vertical.
2 trips in 2 days, about 2-1/2 cords.

Attachments

• 100_4553.jpg
    100_4553.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 706
  • 100_4561.jpg
    100_4561.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 686
  • 100_4556.jpg
    100_4556.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 718
Couple more pics of splitting & new stacks/rows

As I was splitting, every once in a while I would see water oozing out around the wedge just before
it split. When it was frozen it split easier.
I still can't believe some folks are burning this right after the cut it. Hard to believe it even burns.
What a waste of "what could be good wood & lots of BTUs"

Attachments

• 100_4557.jpg
    100_4557.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 679
  • 100_4575.jpg
    100_4575.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 690
  • 100_4581.jpg
    100_4581.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 691
  • 100_4578.jpg
    100_4578.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 685
Great pix Dave thanx for posting ... I want to pic up some nice clean white birch splits to place on the hearth for decoration during the off season.. White birch not that common here but can get it in NH or VT..

Ray

Oh no, another convert to the Backwoods Savage Church of Splitting Vertically. ;) :)

Got ya, Jake!

Dave, you are another convert who has found that splitting vertically is easier. I am curious though why the splitter is at an angle rather than straight up and down. Was it built that way? I can see how it would be easier to hold a block on the butt plate but you would have to do some lifting. With the butt plate flat on the ground you can just roll the logs onto it.

You are getting a nice wood pile built up there. You can be proud.

Nice new pile of wood, Dave.
I have to chime in on the method of using a splitter. I used the vertical method for the last 3 years, then this year went to horizontal.
They both have drawbacks for me. Vertical, my back starts aching after a while, and the knees are just pretty much bone to bone anyway, so they hurt too. Started using knee pads to help with that.
Horizontal, my back starts aching after a while, and most of the rounds I cut don't require much to lift. Usually no larger than about 12-14", and most about 6-8". Not much strain on the knees this way, so I can work longer at the machine and don't have to get up to move more splits into position.
I guess it's nice to have the option, but I'll keep using the horizontal method for a little longer. I've got another 10 cord of oak to get cut and split, plus a couple of pine, and a few maple that need to come down.
Chevy or Ford? :coolsmile:

PapaDave said:
Started using knee pads to help with that.

Are you kneeling when you split vertically?

I stack enough logs to keep me busy for 5 minutes around me, sit on a large round, and split. I then stand up, idle down the splitter, stretch, and reload the to be split pile around me. The last round I split is my "seat" and I do that hunched over.

Backwoods Savage said:
Cadillac.

Toyota. I want a reliable splitter that doesn't slow down for anything. ;-)

I'm a vertical splitter too... sit on a milk crate with a pile within reach on one side - split them up and toss to the other side. Once that pile is gone I stand up, strecth and either move the splitter a few feet so its within arms reach of the next pile or simply roll the next batch closer. Really, not much work at all.

i only go vertical when the rounds are too heavy to lift - so maybe 20% of the total rounds i do

PapaDave said:
I have to chime in on the method of using a splitter. I used the vertical method for the last 3 years, then this year went to horizontal.
They both have drawbacks for me. Vertical, my back starts aching after a while, and the knees are just pretty much bone to bone anyway, so they hurt too. Started using knee pads to help with that.
Horizontal, my back starts aching after a while, and most of the rounds I cut don't require much to lift. Usually no larger than about 12-14", and most about 6-8". Not much strain on the knees this way, so I can work longer at the machine and don't have to get up to move more splits into position.
I guess it's nice to have the option, but I'll keep using the horizontal method for a little longer. I've got another 10 cord of oak to get cut and split, plus a couple of pine, and a few maple that need to come down.
Do you ever split the easy stuff buy hand, just wondering how that would effect your back, hand splitting makes me sore at first and then when I get used to it I feel better.

oldspark said:
PapaDave said:
Do you ever split the easy stuff buy hand, just wondering how that would effect your back, hand splitting makes me sore at first and then when I get used to it I feel better.

80% of the stack of wood in the picture is split by hand. Now getting used to the new splitter.

Backwoods Savage said:
Got ya, Jake!

Dave, you are another convert who has found that splitting vertically is easier. I am curious though why the splitter is at an angle rather than straight up and down. Was it built that way? I can see how it would be easier to hold a block on the butt plate but you would have to do some lifting. With the butt plate flat on the ground you can just roll the logs onto it.

You are getting a nice wood pile built up there. You can be proud.

When I tipped it up, there was some ice in the way & it didn't go full vertical. Just didn't know any better.
I rolled a log over & when I stood it up it slid on the splitter just fine, no lifting & it stayed.
Not a need to lift, only about 3" off the ground, roll the round over to the shoe & stand it up, slides back to the beam pretty easy.
I do have t use the hatchet to cut some strings every now & then that are still holding the round together but same for horizontal.
but the round stays till I cut the strings then falls off.

Attachments

• 100_4572.jpg
    100_4572.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 426
Dave I am up in Fairbanks and it seems like you have what I need to get myself too. I haven't purchased a splitter yet, and this being my first season burning wood, I would love any advice you can throw at me, ie...splitter type, wood dry time, best wood to burn, cords per burn season, etc...

I also have the 1107 w/ blowers; wonderful stove.

Nice wood piles BTW!

Mike

PapaDave said:

Like you my back aches either way. (3 blown disks & surgery scary) I will have to come up with some knee pads for how I was doing it. on my knees,
Sitting on a round I was bending over to get the new round & the split & it was hard on my lower back. I got a bunch of round close, split them
& tossed the splits to the side.
Then like Karl & Got wood, idle down, roll more close, then move on.

The option of horiz or vert is a nice feature, & I use both but horizontal for the heavy ones is a "God-sent" for me. Not that I
can't lift them, that's just how I hurt my back in the first place, lifting heavy stuff & one time be at just the wrong angle
& boom, for the rest of your life, back pain.
Got it stacked & now a 2 day rest for the back before I can do much again. & some good pills.

Michael J said:
Dave I am up in Fairbanks and it seems like you have what I need to get myself too. I haven't purchased a splitter yet, and this being my first season burning wood, I would love any advice you can throw at me, ie...splitter type, wood dry time, best wood to burn, cords per burn season, etc...

I also have the 1107 w/ blowers; wonderful stove.

Nice wood piles BTW!

Mike

Splitter type for me came down to 2 because of what is available here & as you know , shipping to AK got expensive when fuel $ went high.
Here in Wasilla, AIH carries the Speeco 22 ton (need to buy the fluids) , Lowes has the MTD (Troybuilt) 27 ton (full of fluid).
You can get another 10% off at Lowes usually by asking.
I think either is a good splitter but kick the tires, tip it up & down & haggle. I got the Speeco, with the Honda $1400, -( re-furbished).
More than 20 ton for our size & type of wood is overkill I think.

For us in AK, birch & spruce are the 2 wood options. A mix is what I get, but when given a choice get the birch, (more BTUs).
Split the birch ASAP, even the 4" stuff, (<4" I don't split & works good right now, & in the fall when an all day hot fire is not needed)
it will rot in the round, & a roof or tarp over it, it does start to rot easy even in the splits & in a big stack if the middle rows get wet.
Spruce a pretty good wood but burns faster. I really don't have experience with properly seasoned spruce, but will as I got quit a bit of it
from the Parks Hwy proj in Willow. Using some dry dead spruce now (all I got as dry wood right now) Maybe 10 days worth of wood left :( .

Another option is a "log length" load, about 10 cords (you'll net about 8+ cords stacked. & cheaper & good exercise. Get it soon If you don't have any
for the coming winter & get it seasoning.

Cut & split it, 1 year to dry or in your case (Fairbanks), the winters there will dry it in one winter. -30 & -40 °F & the super low humidity there will
dry out anything pretty quick. Also, any wood will split easy by hand at those temps too. Just flies apart when hit with a maul.

What I know about fire wood I learned here & applied to our wood type & weather conditions.
When in doubt about why the stove is not working properly, a good post was "It's the wood stupid" ::
good well seasoned wood is a must for a catalytic, long burn times, good heat output, less creosote issues, efficiency & less problems in general.

Hope this helps. :)

raybonz said:
Great pix Dave thanx for posting ... I want to pic up some nice clean white birch splits to place on the hearth for decoration during the off season.. White birch not that common here but can get it in NH or VT..

Ray

Sounds like you need to do your vacation to Alaska this year. "We got birch".
August for good silver (coho) salmon fishing :)

bogydave said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Sounds like you need to do your vacation to Alaska this year. "We got birch".
August for good silver (coho) salmon fishing :)

Someday I may visit Alaska as I love the wilderness and so much unspoiled beauty exists in Alaska.. The story of Dick Proenneke "One Man's Wilderness" fascinates me to no end! Right now we are still into the Caribbean cruise thing and we just booked a western Caribbean cruise for November.. Going to visit some Mayan sites so that should be awesome! Went to Egypt when in the Navy and found that very interesting (still captivates me).. Hated history in HS but love seeing it in person... Puts it all in perspective..

Ray

KarlP said:
PapaDave said:
Started using knee pads to help with that.

Are you kneeling when you split vertically?

I stack enough logs to keep me busy for 5 minutes around me, sit on a large round, and split. I then stand up, idle down the splitter, stretch, and reload the to be split pile around me. The last round I split is my "seat" and I do that hunched over.

Backwoods Savage said:
Cadillac.

Toyota. I want a reliable splitter that doesn't slow down for anything. ;-)

Yeah, kneeling. I stack enough rounds near to keep me busy for a few minutes too, then get up for a stretch and get more rounds.
I have a nice sized round for sitting, but haven't tried using it yet. I'm still just bucking up the logs.

bogydave said:
PapaDave said:

Like you my back aches either way. (3 blown disks & surgery scary) I will have to come up with some knee pads for how I was doing it. on my knees,
Sitting on a round I was bending over to get the new round & the split & it was hard on my lower back. I got a bunch of round close, split them

The option of horiz or vert is a nice feature, & I use both but horizontal for the heavy ones is a "God-sent" for me. Not that I
can't lift them, that's just how I hurt my back in the first place, lifting heavy stuff & one time be at just the wrong angle
Got it stacked & now a 2 day rest for the back before I can do much again. & some good pills.

That's what I was afraid of. I sometimes think I'm still 25 years old, and pay for it soon enough.
The one thing I do when splitting is take the splits and toss into either of the trailers. That way, I don't have to bend over to pick 'em up, and when full, I just switch jobs and drive to the field and stack. Saves a step and time.
I don't idle the splitter, I shut it down. Takes another yank on the cord, but the gas lasts a little longer, and I can get more done without having to reload the tank, or drive to the gas station for a fillup.

PapaDave said:
bogydave said:
PapaDave said:

That's what I was afraid of. I sometimes think I'm still 25 years old, and pay for it soon enough.
The one thing I do when splitting is take the splits and toss into either of the trailers. That way, I don't have to bend over to pick 'em up, and when full, I just switch jobs and drive to the field and stack. Saves a step and time.
I don't idle the splitter, I shut it down. Takes another yank on the cord, but the gas lasts a little longer, and I can get more done without having to reload the tank, or drive to the gas station for a fillup.

I like the trailer idea, The bending over to get all the splits off the ground was a back killer, some even froze into the snow so I had to kick them loose.
I'm thinking about a conveyor system to get it up waist high.
I'm all lamed up today for sure, walking/hobbling around like an old man. (keep all the wisdom & give me my 25 yr old body back :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.