Splitting wood, the scary way.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes!!!! :gulp:

I can imagine what happens when the screw gets a good bite on a knot, and starts spinning the log around... there goes the side of your truck when it lets go... (or worse)

I think I'll stick with my splitter.

paulgp602 said:
http://www.thestickler.com/index.cfm

This can't be safe..Imagine if the vehicle fell off the blocks?! Watch the video.

These were advertised about 25 years ago. They do work well - look at the movie.

If you had an older car around and only split a few times a year it would definitely be better and cheaper than buying a dull splitter - after all, screws are efficient and car engines powerful.

Safety is usually dependent on the operator.

I know the car/truck isnt under load but it would have to burn ALOT of gas??????????????????????????????

Way back when, I used one of these splitter contraptions. It does work in straight grain wood. Hit a Knot or resistance it can plain take your arm off. They are very dangerous. One has to hold the log ,push it in for the screw to work ,if it binds while holding it under pressure, it will tear your arm off, when it hits resitance. If one is lucky enough to let go in time it can damage your vechicle. The short of it is a joke. Spend your money on a proven safe way of splitting wood. You'll be a lot safer.

Thanks for the insight. I was remotely considering one of these devices after seeing it on eBay. Harley and Elk's description was enough to knock that idea right out of my head. But that's better than yanking my arms off.

Status
Not open for further replies.