sprayed wood with hydraulic fluid ok to burn safely

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4 cords

Aug 31, 2008
central ct
I was running my splitter today next to the pile when a hose blew and sprayed hydraulic fluid on one side of the pile. The main question is the wood safe to burn in my quadrafire 4300 ,not sure how flammable oil is compared to gas. oh yes if it was gas, the wood is fire pit only- but nice oak

It ought to burn real good.

"Technically" there is probably some disclaimer somewhere which says not to use any type of accelerant, oil, diesel, gas, etc and to burn only clean, dry, non-treated wood. Practically, though...I know what I would do...have some nice warm oak heat over the winter.

burn it. its roughly the same flash point as #2 or kerosene. its not going to do anything unless you dipped the logs in it.. would mix it into the burn one log at a time, and add to a established fire so it will light faster and prevent any smoking.

Wash the wood in Dawn detergent.
Rinse , lather, repeat.

The wood will burn fine. The oil will soak in a little. Maybe don't burn all of it at one setting/filling. To be cautious you can split the contaminated area off of the effected pieces and have a bonfire or use the wood you have removed for kindling (kind of like treated fire starter logs except it will just be kindling). All woods have oils and tars, to some degree, that are probably similar with the oil that was sprayed on to your wood pile. It will be several months before winter has come to an end and tossing in a piece of wood that has been sprayed per filling will probably leave you with more winter than contaminated wood that needs to be doled out. You could think... "At least I get to recover part of the loss" ... because the line could have blown the other way and soaked a prt of the lawn instead.

Jags said:
Consider it the "Matchlight" of firewood and burn baby burn.
thats what I was thinking

A good part of the volatility (and thus flamablity) of the fluid should evaporate over time. Store outdoors, uncovered.

Peace,
- Sequoia

I think you would have been better if it was gas because it would have evaporated much quicker. As others have said I would burn one at a time in a hot established fire to reduce the smoke but my guess is that you will not be able to tell a difference from the clean wood.

thanks for all the advice I will put the treated wood aside to weather longer and try one at a time when needed -oh if my wife sees me washing my wood pile with dawn that may be my last straw ( you are crazy we will just buy wood next year) but honey my support group sayed too - just picture it she gets home from work Im in the back with my bucket ,brush , and chamois - love it !

If it was me, I would install a Magic Heat to make sure you are burning safely. I've heard they negate the effect of any accelerants in the wood.

;-)

4 cords said:
thanks for all the advice I will put the treated wood aside to weather longer and try one at a time when needed -oh if my wife sees me washing my wood pile with dawn that may be my last straw ( you are crazy we will just buy wood next year) but honey my support group sayed too - just picture it she gets home from work Im in the back with my bucket ,brush , and chamois - love it !

Did you just say "chamois"? <chuckles to self>

Status
Not open for further replies.