Spring split is done

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Been picking away at it and finished it up this afternoon. Nice to have it split sitting in the 25 mph gusting to 45 wind.

Attachments

• 041711 splitting.jpg
    041711 splitting.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 387
  • 041711 splitter trash.jpg
    041711 splitter trash.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 405
  • 041711 riff raff on the heap.jpg
    041711 riff raff on the heap.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 379
lol, I was clapping for a few Ibuprofen and a beer.

Definitely crankin today loon, almost went for goggles today because of the face fulls of saw dust.

I like those big fat splits, thats why I want to split some of my own, Id like to have some big splits to put in my stove in mid winter when its below zero. Everyone I get wood from splits them small, some smaller than others.

weatherguy said:
I like those big fat splits, thats why I want to split some of my own

Now that I'm ahead, I shoot for 8x8s and everything as square as possible.

Solar, that is a lot of work. You can be proud.

Thanks Dennis. My pride is bolstered every time Suburban Propane drives by the house without stopping :lol:

Stackin next.

Will

Holy Crap, that's alot of wood and it looks great how many cords do you have there?

Looks good! I hope to be done soon, next weekend I should have some time to work. I hope the weather cooperates, it's been a terrible spring so far!

certified106 said:
Holy Crap, that's alot of wood and it looks great how many cords do you have there?

Thanks. 25-30 in the heap, 7 in the shed.

rdust said:
it's been a terrible spring so far!

I've been lucky the past two weekends and got the upper terrace of the garden prepped and the peas in. But, the weather has definitely been all over the place. Not half an hour after I finished today we had a hail storm.

Question. With a 30 cord heap, how do you get the oldest stuff off the bottom to put it in the shed?

BrotherBart said:
Question. With a 30 cord heap, how do you get the oldest stuff off the bottom to put it in the shed?

I'm thinking with 30 in a heap I'd rather have the stuff off the top! :) *If* I was working from a heap it would be a long heap and I'd pull from the end that was the oldest. I think Solar stacks it for a season(??) before burning it so that should help finish off the wood after it's heaped up.

The splits get tossed on the south side of the heap and then get pushed with the tractor north towards the shed over time. This is after the push at the end of last summer. So, driest stuff is on side closest to shed as opposed to bottom of heap.

Attachments

• ready for the 2012 split.jpg
    ready for the 2012 split.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 212
Status
Not open for further replies.