Spring Work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
My wife has been after me about cleaning the trail that runs the base of this hill, so in the spring I'll get that done plus these two trees, one small maple and a cherry.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0507.jpg
    100_0507.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 330
  • 100_0508.jpg
    100_0508.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 329
The plow is on the truck already Zap?

That was in April 2010 when we bought it, then we had the last snowstorm of the year. Since then we had a ARE cap installed plus some commercial grade Dee Zee running boards.

This is the truck with the cap and running boards.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1062.jpg
    100_1062.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 278
f3cbboy said:
nice truck Zap! what made u decide to go with a cap?

f3cbboy thanks, sooner or later we might go to one vehicle (the truck) so we needed the cap for travel or grocery shopping, I'm not sure if we will haul wood with it but time will tell.

We didn't need the payment but the green truck is becoming a money pit.

zap

GolfandWoodNut said:
Ho, hum. More firewood.

Get it before it rots, never enough wood.

zap

zapny said:
Get it before it rots, never too much wood.

Something tells me you have enough

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
Get it before it rots, never too much wood.

Something tells me you have enough

Lost day today for working outside, it's still raining.

Zap

zapny said:
it's still raining

We got lucky and didn't get any of the rain. Still overcast but could have been a lot worse for my daughter's lacrosse tournament in Ithaca this morning. Here is a shot from the south end of Cayuga. The colors were still very nice but my cell phone didn't do so well capturing them.

Attachments

• CayugaLake.jpg
    CayugaLake.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 210
PapaDave said:
Hey zap, just noticed the new avatar. Nice.
I just want to know who you're taking this energy from to process almost daily wood runs?
I'm exhausted just looking.

PapaDave the good thing is it was bucked and split sometime ago so the rhino is doing most the work, last year I left a chit load in a pile over the winter in the front yard, I like the running back in and grabbing and stacking it once you bring it out. Another thing that was pushing me was the loss of light each day.

zap

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
it's still raining

We got lucky and didn't get any of the rain. Still overcast but could have been a lot worse for my daughter's lacrosse tournament in Ithaca this morning. Here is a shot from the south end of Cayuga. The colors were still very nice but my cell phone didn't do so well capturing them.

Nice picture solar, how did the tournament go?

zap

zap, I've got about 5 cord of logs (delivery 1.5 yrs. ago) still to work up. I thought maybe when the snow starts and everything freezes, I'll do that. Let 'em sit 'til spring, then finish. Don't absolutely need it right now (3 yrs. ahead!), so I might just take the winter off to work on the house.

Tough day but we all had a good time. The Finger Lakes are always a nice drive in the fall.

SolarAndWood said:
Tough day but we all had a good time. The Finger Lakes are always a nice drive in the fall.

Beautiful country.

zap

Zap, that is really neat the way so much of your downed wood is off the ground. Keeps them from rotting.

I had a tough walk through a lot of our woods this afternoon tracking a deer the neighbor shot. I was pleasantly surprised to find several young ash trees that the bug hasn't attacked yet. It might have been interesting too to count just how many dead ash and elm I have back there. For sure I can't get them all cut this coming winter but will try if at all possible to do as much as I can. I might even have a couple guys come in to cut.

Sav did you find the deer? I'm not sure if we have any elm but the ash seems like it is fine.

zap

Sadly no. I had to quit on him and he also had some church business to tend to but I think he is coming back tomorrow after church. He has to be at church; he' the preacher! I'll also be out looking again if I can do it.

PapaDave said:
zap, I've got about 5 cord of logs (delivery 1.5 yrs. ago) still to work up. I thought maybe when the snow starts and everything freezes, I'll do that. Let 'em sit 'til spring, then finish. Don't absolutely need it right now (3 yrs. ahead!), so I might just take the winter off to work on the house.

It's nice that we are ahead, last year I would have worked in this rain but not this year. What type of wood do you have in the log length?

My goal is getting all the hardwood that is split down and stacked. Sunday rain or not I'm making two or three trips and get the rest of the maple from up top.

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, that is really neat the way so much of your downed wood is off the ground. Keeps them from rotting.

I had a tough walk through a lot of our woods this afternoon tracking a deer the neighbor shot. I was pleasantly surprised to find several young ash trees that the bug hasn't attacked yet. It might have been interesting too to count just how many dead ash and elm I have back there. For sure I can't get them all cut this coming winter but will try if at all possible to do as much as I can. I might even have a couple guys come in to cut.

Is it possible that some of those young ash trees might survive Dennis . . . I tell ya . . . the stories you have told has got me worried about EAB coming to Maine . . . I don't look forward to that day since I love white ash.

Backwoods Savage said:
Sadly no. I had to quit on him and he also had some church business to tend to but I think he is coming back tomorrow after church. He has to be at church; he' the preacher! I'll also be out looking again if I can do it.

Well if you would have been looking for the deer and not at the trees then you might have found it. :)

firefighterjake said:
Is it possible that some of those young ash trees might survive Dennis . . . I tell ya . . . the stories you have told has got me worried about EAB coming to Maine . . . I don't look forward to that day since I love white ash.

It really is a terrible thing. I went home to visit family a couple weeks ago. Dad had mentioned that one of the ash trees in the front yard where my brother's barn is had lost all it bark in a recent storm. I asked if it was dead, he said it seemed to lose it's leaves a little early this year, but he didn't think it was dead. A quick look revealed borer damage, the first 10' of the trunk had lost all its bark. The one beside it was infested too. I cut them both down for him and help him buck them up to heat his barn this winter. Bunches and bunches of little holes through the bark. If you peel the bark up you can literally trace their path through the cambium layer and find the little ****ers.

Status
Not open for further replies.