Squire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt85bears

Dec 15, 2008
midwest
I am a pellet stove guy but i bought a house that has a Squire insert in it. The stove seems to burn well and the fan still works. Is there anything i should know about this stove? Any tips on how to get an optimal burn on this type of stove?

Thanks for the response. I looked through the other posts and did not see any great operating instructions. The stove kicks out more then enough heat... i just want to make sure i am using it properly so i dont get to much build up and burn down my house.

You burn it just like any other non-epa stove, HOT. Cutting down the air for long burns will increase your chances of creosote buildup, the Squire has two sets of air controls on the door, you might find leaving the small ones open and using the large ones for minimal air works best. I would check the chimney once a month and invest in a good CO detector.

Burning seasoned wood is also a plus.

Thanks for your reply. I will look at the build up in the flu. Is it possibleto buy a catilytic for this stove?

If you are an engineer, maybe. Nu-tec is DOA but with pictures you could build one yourself. I can honestly tell you it would be cheaper to sell that stove and buy a new stove with some of these sales going on, check the threads for the Century insert sale going on, if you are heating a small space it is a heck of a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.