Squuirrel trouble..............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sailor61

Burning Hunk
Nov 28, 2006
Warwick, RI
Have had occasional l squirrel issues in the attic over the years and have always been able to plug the hole and keep them out. Latest one has been a nasty cuss to get rid of. Finally thought I had it gone after replugging the hole with a combination of steel wool and aerosol insulating foam. Well tonight - after a week of peace- the damn thing is back in the attic raising a ruckus. Just came in from outside where I inspected as much of the eaves etc as I could see with a flashlight and I can;t find the latest entry point - that'll have to wait for daylight and another round of repairs.

What I'm curiosu about is if anyone has had any luck with the electronic rodent repellers you see advertised and int he stores? I mean a squiurrel is a rodent - basicsally a rat with a furry tail, right?

Thanks for any info you have to pass on. And if anyone in the RI area has a taste for squirrel, I've got some good inside hunting..........

Yummmmmm. I had red and flying squirrels in my attic and trapped them with a have-a-heart trap and relocated them. Also you might want to try some 1/2x1/2 metal wire. I believe it's called hardware cloth. That's what I used for a fix but now have a downy woodpecker working on some trim. Good luck

Fella, buy a good pellet gun.

A .22 with sub-sonic loads is the answer to your problems. The sub-sonic loads are quiet and accurate. Set up a birdfeeder as bait and shoot down from a second floor window so the bullet goes right into the ground.

They Call Me Pete said:
Yummmmmm. I had red and flying squirrels in my attic and trapped them with a have-a-heart trap and relocated them. Also you might want to try some 1/2x1/2 metal wire. I believe it's called hardware cloth. That's what I used for a fix but now have a downy woodpecker working on some trim. Good luck

Or perhaps a piece of "chicken wire" instead of steel wool...

Jay

Ahhh the old Squirrel battle.
I am a Squirrel warrior of past.
Once a tree rodent gets into your attic, and then stores some nuts, you got problems.

Options:

1) The Gunslinger approach.
Always fun, but never permanent. You can kill one Squirrel, but there is a new one to replace him soon. To much good chow in that attic stored away! The neighbors start to think your a kook.

2) The Barricade approach.

Forget foam and go all heavy duty wire mesh. You always got to make sure the varmits are out before you errect such a barricade..otherwise you have a smelly attic in a couple days.

I like to combine the two options.
To have the culprit that kept you up at night with his ruckuss is very rewarding. To lock out his brothers is better.

Go to the local hardware store and purchase some poison peanuts, a sure fire bet to work. Get a couple of outside dogs to prevent their entry, my Mastiffs do a bang up job on squrrils, moles, possums, birds, and oh yes the wondering cats from the neighbors.

Another great method is to use a rat trap baited with peanut butter - works very well

Reggie Dunlap said:
A .22 with sub-sonic loads is the answer to your problems. The sub-sonic loads are quiet and accurate. Set up a birdfeeder as bait and shoot down from a second floor window so the bullet goes right into the ground.
Vermont? I see you have never been to Warwick, the neighbors/cops their frown on gunfire in the neighborhoods...

I found the "Victor" method worked very well on the flying squirrels that we had... They like peanut butter, I got about 10 one year before they stopped showing up. I finally caught a live one in the attic and was able to see where he was getting in and out - the metal ridge strip at the peak of the roof was open at the end, I ended up filling it with expanda-foam and haven't had any problems since, that I'm aware of anyhow.

I have also added some lights and an electrical outlet up there, and plugged a small sonic repeller in - I can't say for certain that it works, but we haven't had any problems...

Gooserider

I love the answers from the people in rural areas. Answer is always to start shooting. I wish that were an option. I've been fighting the squirrel wars for 35 years. One time in 30 minutes without going outside I killed 6 of the rats with a pellet gun. However it now cost $125 every four years just to get a firearms ID. No ID & you are subject to a mandatory one year jail term for possesion of a firearm.

Back to the original ??? If they are getting in, it is usually because it is a pregnant female. If you block the hole, they will find another weak spot & chew their way in. I've had them chew the corners off the dormer. Blocked that with wire. Woke up to a horrendous noise. They tore off two layers of cedar shingles at the sidewall/dormer intersection & were in the process of chewing through the one inch thick sheathing boards.

Ended up cutting all branches that were within jumping distance of the house. No more in the house, but they started on the detached old carriage house/garage. I've found you have to make then not want to come back in. The way I did it was to temporarily leave the chewed holes open & coat the edges with a mixture of grease/cayenne pepper & garlic powder. They get the grease on the fur & try to clean it off. I imagine the mouth gives them a real wakeup call then. My woodshed is an 18' x 8' leanto off the side of the garage. For years they have been chewing at the framing. Last year I mixed up cayenne pepper & garlic powder again with spar varnish. Slathered that all over everything & they have stayed away.

It is a never ending battle & I wish you luck.
Al

lobsta1 said:
I love the answers from the people in rural areas. Answer is always to start shooting. I killed 6 of the rats with a pellet gun. However it now cost $125 every four years just to get a firearms ID. No ID & you are subject to a mandatory one year jail term for possesion of a firearm.
Al

We're rural and do shoot. Why not, it's fun and you get to munch the killee. Besides, squirrel pie is a staple with those Rural Folks you enjoy. It does take at least 8-12 of the red species for one small pie; maybe 5-6 of the gray. A real PITA to bone the rodents. Good practice also for when the From Aways from the south ( like Mass ) arrive.

Since when is a BB or pellet gun a "firearm" ? I had a Permit to Carry in Mass, yet BB guns were NOT considered firearms. Has it changed in 8 years ?

Now the squirrel thing. Forget plinging the rodents, they breed fierce and you can't tell the sex from 10 feet anyhow( unless you're one of those Urban Guerilla types). Smoke 'em out with a smoke bomb ( wood chuck variety), a good cigar (you're not allowed to smoke in the house, right ?), smoke pellets, or one of the many varieties of insect bombs. GooseR is correct that you need to seal up ANY openings. Watch where they exit after the smoke trick.
Havahart traps work but you then have to get rid of the trapee....perhaps let it loose in the Back Bay ?

Since when is a BB or pellet gun a “firearm” ? I had a Permit to Carry in Mass, yet BB guns were NOT considered firearms. Has it changed in 8 years ?

All the stores in MA say that an FID is required to purchase them. However driving a short distance north to the slightly freer state of NH, you can purchase them with no ID requirements at all, and even save 5% :coolsmile: Not sure what the rules are on possession and carry, but as long as you are discreet, probably not a big likelyhood of an issue being raised.

(and you are right, squirrel is delicious, though I prefer it deep fried)

Gooserider

I turn the scope up to 9 power so the squirrel looks like a charging grizzly, then I shoot him in the neck. You have to kill a pile of them before they stop coming, but they will get the message eventually.

I hate using poison, especially with kids and dogs around, but it will work as a last resort.

The solution is a combination of overwhelming firepower and blocking their access to your structure with wire mesh or whatever works best. Cats help too.

One guy on the internet described squirrels as "rats with cosmetic enhancements and a good press agent". Have had squirrels in the drop ceiling in an older trailer on the property. I've removed about half the ceiling tile and the insulation. Even had a roof rodent show up - all I had was a broom but gave him a good scare. Was going to trap them but did get 5 with firearms. So I'm going to stick with a 410 for now and begin sealing all the openings I can find. The new cat is probably helping also.

Status
Not open for further replies.