St Croix Prescott EX Auger motor wont stop and need exhaust flange

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEvil

Feb 13, 2007
I recently acquired a 2001 St Croix Prescott EX Pellet stove. I noticed that when I was running it outside (before I plumbed it in) when I shut it down the auger still runs on low speed. This keeps fueling the fire and it wont go out until I run out of pellets. I replaced the control board with one that came with the stove... I heard that it could be a problem with the motor. Thoughts?

Also this stove has a bolt on flange that adapts to stove pipe. Any idea where I can find a replacement? I was going to make one, but If I don't have to fire up my mill and welder I'd rather buy OEM. I have a call into my local supplier and I'm waiting on ac all back.

Thanks

A bad motor won't keep running if the stove is shut off. Does the motor run continually, or pulse on and off? If it runs continually, you may have a bad controller.

How are you shutting the stove off? It may have gone into idle mode, and not shut off mode. If it's in thermostat mode, and the jumper is on the 'stat connections, the stove will not shut off. Make sure it's in manual mode.

I am basing my reply on the way my Afton Bay works, YMMV.

It runs continually and only powers off when you pull the plug for the stove. I plan on swapping back the other control board to see if it make a difference.

I checked the Jumper, it is the same between the two boards I have and "not" in thermostat mode.

I'll double check everything once its plumbed in. Still waiting to hear back from the stove shop about the exhaust flange that I need.

Thanks

-V

Sounds like a shorted triac on the control board. If the other board works okay, check the triac for shorting; a multimeter might work. It might be caused by other components, but my experience is that the "high powered" items, like the triac, are most likely to fail.

Got it. Will check tonight with a meter. I have the old board handy and there are 2 SC141D Triacs side by side. Using the tab I found 1 outer leg shorted to the center leg. I wonder if that's why they replaced this board to begin with. Luckily I do board level repair here at the shop so It will be an easy fix if that's the problem.

Thanks for the step in the right direction!

-V

Excellent! Please keep us updated, I'm sure others will benefit.

Found this diagram of the triacs:

SC141D

Click on "view full size"

Replaced the triacs, powered up the stove and auger was not turning, so far so good. I will have to wait till the stove shop gets my exhaust "quick connect flange" before I can fire her up.

I'll try and remember to repost results.

Finally got to running her last night. The dealer messed up my order for the quick connect flange and after 2 weeks of waiting, they said that it was on backorder. So I took back my money and went to the parts store to get a 3" piece of exhaust pipe. about 30 minutes with a drill press, plasma cutter, and welder and voila! New Flange.

I ran the stove for about 4 hours and it ran great. got the house from 54 to 67 and that was 2 hours on high (6) and 2 hours on med (4).

So far so good. Only thing left is to finish the trim on the hearth and put an electrical outlet behind the stove so the cord doesn't run around the side.

And just so we are clear... the 2 replacement triacs (SC141D) solved the problem of the auger running when the stove was off.

Thanks for the tips!

IMG_20111026_184235.jpg

:) :) :)
Looks like the pooch is enjoying the heat, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.