st croix prescott question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jplacz

Hearth Supporter
Oct 22, 2009
wester,ma
just bought a used prescot exl stove cleaned real good runs fine but does everyone with same stove have to clean clunkers on bottom of burn pot everyday???most stoves you never have to do this?? im running it on 2 or 3 settings

jplacz welcome to the forum, what brand of pellets are you using?Some pellets produce more clinkers than others.The stove comes with a pot scraping tool for daily scraping of the pot (I found only needs to be done with poor quality pellets)is the versa grate system working?

jplacz said:
just bought a used prescot exl stove cleaned real good
runs fine but does everyone with same stove have to clean clunkers on bottom of burn pot everyday???

Nope no clinkers here but Mnkywrnch brings up good points.

Xena said:
jplacz said:
just bought a used prescot exl stove cleaned real good
runs fine but does everyone with same stove have to clean clunkers on bottom of burn pot everyday???

Nope no clinkers here but Mnkywrnch brings up good points.
You may also want to try adjusting your damper.

Pellets with lots of bark will create clinkers in the firepot.

I had this "problem" with Marth hardwood pellets... but not with any other I've burned. Make sure your versa-grate is working properly... it moves the firepot grate back and forth to clean the firepot while you keep burning.

jplacz said:
so should i have to clean with pot tool??? metal scraper???everyday

I'll pull mine out about every two weeks and scrape it clean... often it doesn't even need it.

You'll have more ash/soot and, maybe, clinkers when running the stove on "low"... it's much cleaner to have it set at 3 or 4....

i really dont have any clinkers. burned both poor and high end pellets. i just scrape my tubes and rake my ash pot every day and brush the ash into the ash pan every day. takes me about 30 sec. then once a week give it a good cleaning. going on my 4th yr with mine and no problems.

magsf11 said:
i really dont have any clinkers. burned both poor and high end pellets. i just scrape my tubes and rake my ash pot every day and brush the ash into the ash pan every day. takes me about 30 sec. then once a week give it a good cleaning. going on my 4th yr with mine and no problems.

That's about what I do... pretty ez stove to own.

Status
Not open for further replies.