St Croix Revolution newbe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gilandjoy

Oct 23, 2008
ne ohio
I'm new to the pellet burning ,and the forum experience. I just installed a new St Croix Revolution furnace add on to my existing ducts and have been running it for the last two weeks. My problem is I can't find anyone else that is experienced ! I am wondering if I have my settings right or what I'm supposed to expect from my furnace. ie.....is the flame supposed to always scorch the glass ?, What am I looking for with the adjustment of the air damper?...etc. Hate sounding stupid but this seemed like a good way to talk to people with a little knowledge. Any thoughts? :)

You might also want to post in the boiler room to see if anyone has one of these.

Installed a new Rev. this fall, new to pellets myself. Flame on mine doesn't hit the glass, get a little light brown on it, wipes right off w/ a paper towel. Check your manual for intake damper setting, it's different for different fuels. Are you running the sideboards on the burnpot, manual is confusing on this point, I'm trying to find the answer, gonna call a different dealer today to try to get some info, dealer here is clueless. Self install, or did you have it done?

Thanks Begreen I'll do that.......soon as I figure it out.

hossthehermit said:
Installed a new Rev. this fall, new to pellets myself. Flame on mine doesn't hit the glass, get a little light brown on it, wipes right off w/ a paper towel. Check your manual for intake damper setting, it's different for different fuels. Are you running the sideboards on the burnpot, manual is confusing on this point, I'm trying to find the answer, gonna call a different dealer today to try to get some info, dealer here is clueless. Self install, or did you have it done?

I had it installed but I'm in the same boat as you with some one knowing more than just reading the manual. I'm using the sideboards now that I found out what they were and where to place them.(after install they were slid up towards the glass).I do use a paper towel to clean the glass but it doesn't quite get it all off.Does your blower come on for a couple minutes then go off for a couple minutes consistently? Did you hook up to the cold air return? I'm not. Just trying out different settings the last week with the damper. I'm going to the dealer today myself for pellets and more info if they got it.

revo said:
hossthehermit said:

I had it installed but I'm in the same boat as you with some one knowing more than just reading the manual. I'm using the sideboards now that I found out what they were and where to place them.(after install they were slid up towards the glass).I do use a paper towel to clean the glass but it doesn't quite get it all off.Does your blower come on for a couple minutes then go off for a couple minutes consistently? Did you hook up to the cold air return? I'm not. Just trying out different settings the last week with the damper. I'm going to the dealer today myself for pellets and more info if they got it.

I'm running right now on Smartstat, when it comes on, the first few times the supply fan (blower) comes on, it runs for 4-5 mins. then when it's up to setpoint kicks back to pilot setting, when temp in the furnace plenum hits 110 blower kicks on, then off when it drops below. This goes for an hour or so, if thermostat hasn't called for heat again, furnace goes into shutdown, combustion fan runs for a while after fire goes out, then everything shuts off. If you are running in thermostat mode, the furnace will keep running at pilot level all the time, blower kicks on as above for a minute or two at a time. Didn't hook up to cold air return, looked like too much hassle, manual said it wasn't required. Didn't do OAK, either, may think about it later. Decided to pull the sideboards off tonight when I got home from work, other dealer wasn't available today, figured I try it this way. No guts, no glory, huh? Feel free to PM if ya want, this topic keeps getting pushed down the board and hard to find, looks like Revolution owners are a rare breed, no wonder, they just started making them. We're pioneers

I am also new with the Revolution. I have it hooked up to my current duct work for both warm air and cold air return. I am getting the cumbustion air from the outside. I originally did not do this and ran into some vacuum issues. I have it hooked up to a programmable thermostat.

I currently have the setting you must change while the furnace if off at 2 and the setting you can adjust while the furnace is on either at 4 or 5. I did adjust the blower to turn on at 150 degrees and back off at 110 degrees. I have not timed the length of time the blower stays on, but I am sure it is staying on for longer than 4-5 minutes.

The flame still seems to go up and down, but since I now get cumbustion air from the outside, it seems to burn more consistently. It would appreciate comments on the proper burn as we all want to get the maximum BTU's out as efficiently as possible.

I did end up putting a manual damper in the plenum of my propane furnace to ensure that all heat goes into the duct work and does not cycle back thru the propane furnace. I am learning on the fly too, so let's keep this post going as we all learn more about the Revolution.

So far, the weather has not been cold enough for the furnace to run for the entire day. The last few days have been in the 70's, so no pellets are burning. It is supposed to get cold this weekend.

maacac, how do you adjust the blower on/off temp?

There is a dial underneath the silver cover on the upper left side of the furnace. The area where the button for manual or automatic operation of the blower. It will come right off. Underneath it, there is a dial that if you look close, there is are tabs at the upper and lower limits. The tabs are factory set, but can be moved just like adjusting a thermostat. Hold the dial and carefully move the tab up of down to the temperature you want. This will change the temperature that the blower comes on and off.

Take a look at the manual for this and also take a look at the dial. It took me a bit to understand what the manual was telling me. Be careful not to mess with the high limit setting.

maacac said:
hossthe hermit

If my explanation on adjusting the blower temperature was not clear enough, let me know and I will try to be clearer.

Sounds pretty staightforward, hadn't seen it in the manual. Musta overlooked it on my 27 readthroughs, and hadn't really considered changing it anyway until I read your post. Question, does it change both on/off by the same amount, or are they separate? I'll look at the book again, too. Might try it next time it gets cold enough to run it. Thanks for the tip.

maacac...How do you have your damper set? Mine is almost closed after alot of adjusting and it seems to be doing great.

maacac said:
I also have it almost closed. I ended up closing past the screw.

How far past the screw? I'm more than willing to play with it on my own, but trying to keep this thread where I can find it. Are the rest of you guys serial killers, mad rapists, stalkers, or general no-goodniks? Should the few of us find an easier way to get/give feedback? I'm a firm believer in privacy, I'm old, I've heard about all the internet idenity theft, and related issues, just a PITA trying to find the thread on here that deals with my issues. Any ideas?

Somehow I always get an email when there is a post to this thread. I just keep the latest email and I takes me right to this thread.

I ended up using PVC to connect to the outside fresh air on the intake, so I can't see how far past, but I would guess about 1/4 inch past. It is colder today, so I have been "tweeking" it a bit. Seems to be working OK. I seem to vary between a very agressive flame and sometimes down to below the burn pot, but it always come back up. Does your flame behave similar or is it more consistent?

hossthehermit said:
maacac said:
I also have it almost closed. I ended up closing past the screw.

How far past the screw? I'm more than willing to play with it on my own, but trying to keep this thread where I can find it. Are the rest of you guys serial killers, mad rapists, stalkers, or general no-goodniks? Should the few of us find an easier way to get/give feedback? I'm a firm believer in privacy, I'm old, I've heard about all the internet idenity theft, and related issues, just a PITA trying to find the thread on here that deals with my issues. Any ideas?
Hoss just type in st croix in the search forums and click on this link. I also get an email if some one posts ????
I actually closed my damper all the way then opened it a quarter of an inch.(the heck with the screw!!!)...does that make more sense?...My ash is hardly anything and my flame burns pretty steady half way up the glass. Does that sound logical???

maacac said:
Somehow I always get an email when there is a post to this thread. I just keep the latest email and I takes me right to this thread.

I ended up using PVC to connect to the outside fresh air on the intake, so I can't see how far past, but I would guess about 1/4 inch past. It is colder today, so I have been "tweeking" it a bit. Seems to be working OK. I seem to vary between a very agressive flame and sometimes down to below the burn pot, but it always come back up. Does your flame behave similar or is it more consistent?
My flame is very consistent now that the damper is almost closed. When I was at the dealer I talked to some one that owned the 50 . He told me about the flame . He said his burns tall but doesn't smoke and his ash is next to nothing on the # 2 setting. It started to get cold again here so I will see how things go. My flame gets agressive only when the blower is on.
So far we are the only three with the Revolution on this site I guess. Maybe if we keep it going more people will join?
Hossthehermit if you feel your privacy is in trouble don't worry there is only a few of us on here!!!!

By the way....after cleaning inside by the pot I accidently moved the sideboards forward. The next time I cleaned I had a bunch of unburned pellets down both sides. Point is keep your sideboards pushed back. :cheese:

Im also a newbie with the revolution. I just fired her up about a week ago but due to warm weather I havent been able to really put her through the tests. So far it seems to run fine on the factory settings. Im running it off a thermostat. my house is 2500sq ft ranch. I had to locate the furnace about 15 feet away from my existing furnace due to the venting issues. I havent yet installed a outside air kit, but plan on doing so soon. My only problem is that I dont get much air out of the registers. ive closed all the unnecessary ductwork. I may add a booster blower fan to increase air flow if I need. Overall Im very happy with the unit, the programmable thermostat is cool. I just recently talked to a local farmer a few miles away that will sell me corn for 190 a ton, which for me is cheaper than pellets. Pellets seem to be somewhat scarce here around flint michigan.

Welcome to the pioneers, juandigital. Thanks for the tips on finding the thread, maacac and revo, I'm not really good at this computer stuff. As soon as it gets cold again, I'm going to try closing the damper some more. Have noticed that the sideboards are easy to move around if you don't watch them.

Glad to see another pioneer ! I have the same problem with not that much air out of the registars. Let me know about that booster blower. Make sure that the moisture content in that corn is 15% or better. My dealer mentioned mixing corn & pellets. Corn is $5 a bag & pellets are $5.50. Just finding out the best time to buy is early summer. When I started looking for my Revolution in june pellets were $209 a ton.

I also saved the link to this thread that is in the email notifications in my favorites. It takes me right to it.

It is in the 30's here in northern michigan today, so I am going to play with the settings.

Good idea, I saved it that way also.Where at in northern mich? Alpena? UP Peninsula?

Status
Not open for further replies.