St. Croix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
Anyone familiar with St. Croix multi-fuel models? My friend is again still looking to buy and he is comparing everything to Harmon. So any info on st. croix and opinions would be helpful. At this moment we are looking at the Lancaster.

Thanks

dhungy said:
Anyone familiar with St. Croix multi-fuel models? My friend is again still looking to buy and he is comparing everything to Harmon. So any info on st. croix and opinions would be helpful. At this moment we are looking at the Lancaster.

Thanks

The Lancaster is a good stove "but" it's hard to work on given its size. The Auburn has the highest hopper capacity and is a very good unit. I have an Auburn and it works great! Like an International dump truck. It does the job!!

AR

I have an older model St. Croix Pepin pellet burner that is basically the same as a Lancaster but WITH the Versa-Grate (which isn't on the multi-fuel models). It's compact size make servicing the blowers, etc. a little harder if you have big mitts (like me) but not much. I guess I don't know any better since it's the only stove I've owned.

I can tell you that my 2001 model has been trouble-free for the four, going on five, seasons I've owned it... no issues AFTER I learned to clean it properly and throughly. I will have to buy a new fire pot for it this year but that ain't bad after four long seasons of good heat. I just got done with my pre-season service and all looks good... I ran the stove for two hours the other night and it was whisper quiet and running great.

FWIW... I was talking to one of my dealers service reps last week and mentioned I would like to buy another St. Croix for my shop but would prefer a used stove. He told me 'good luck' as they seldom ever see a used St. Croix come back on trade... he sez once they leave they never see 'em again.

I had a friend that sold both St Croix and Harman. he always said both were good reliable companies that made top of the line products. The St Croix is a simpler stove as the owner has to manually light the stove and dump the clinker. Very little to go wrong
Between the two he claimed the Harman PC45 was the Cadillac because of self start and no clinker to dump. They also have a room temp mode that works like a thermostat plus stove temp mode which is what St Croix has.They are also pretty simple but you do have a igniter and also have to replace the agitater occasionally.

The Lancaster is a corn stove. You can adapt it to burn wood pellets but need to upgrade it with $300 more in parts. I heard that they were remodeling this entire stove...but either way, in the end, it's a small stove. I have seen a whole bunch of Lancasters that were were sold as multi-fuel stoves, without the conversion kit...you do not want a stove that looks like these. Yucky. All kind of issues with creosote.

Any St. Croix dealers feel free to chime in. I would think the Hastings would be a better stove to compare to any Harman.

smwilliamson said:
The Lancaster is a corn stove. You can adapt it to burn wood pellets but need to upgrade it with $300 more in parts. I heard that they were remodeling this entire stove...but either way, in the end, it's a small stove. I have seen a whole bunch of Lancasters that were were sold as multi-fuel stoves, without the conversion kit...you do not want a stove that looks like these. Yucky. All kind of issues with creosote.

Any St. Croix dealers feel free to chime in. I would think the Hastings would be a better stove to compare to any Harman.

The Afton Bay was the best seller but now it's the Hastings. We don't have a lot of experience with the Hastings since we are new to St. Croix but this is what the dealers are saying. The Hastings would have the VersaGrate Cleaning System.

AR

A Lancaster and a Auburn has the same innards and they are both 40,000 BTU. There is a kit that modifys the pot so you can burn pellets. I don't see where you can spend 300.00 unless you have a price gouging dealer.
Granted they are small physically along with a small ash pan and small hopper but you can buy a hopper extension that will give you 70lbs capacity which isn't bad.
I have 3 of those kits on hand and they will fit either Lancaster , Auburn and possibly others that use the same burning pot.
Actually I have 3 new Lancasters available and they will come with the pellet kit for 1300.00 plus freight.

rona said:
A Lancaster and a Auburn has the same innards and they are both 40,000 BTU. There is a kit that modifys the pot so you can burn pellets. I don't see where you can spend 300.00 unless you have a price gouging dealer.
Granted they are small physically along with a small ash pan and small hopper but you can buy a hopper extension that will give you 70lbs capacity which isn't bad.
I have 3 of those kits on hand and they will fit either Lancaster , Auburn and possibly others that use the same burning pot.
Actually I have 3 new Lancasters available and they will come with the pellet kit for 1300.00 plus freight.

Wow!!! That's a heck of a price for a Lancaster!!! Someone should be breaking your door down tomorrow AM for that deal!!!

Into my 6th yr with a St Croix Prescott here. This one
burns a 50/50 mix of corn/pellets and
does it very well though I haven't had
the need to burn corn for several yrs now.
I run this thing 24/7 during the heating season.
If your friend is comparing to Harman
these babies are every bit as good maybe
better in some cases I dunno. Mine has been super reliable
and even when I feed it crappy pellets it
throws major heat without skipping a beat
and is easy to clean.

We have a St Croix Hastings, it's the fourth heating season with it and it's never had a problem. It's easier than most to clean out since it has grates surrounding the burn pot for the ash to drop into. It rarely has any clinkers(unburnt pellets in the ash pot). Usually once a week I just use an old house paint brush to brush any extra ash down into the ash drawer before I empty it then vacuum the ash around the glass and touch up the interior, clean the glass with windex and I'm done. Then a few times during the heating season I'll give it a more thorough cleaning. LOVE THE ST CROIX pellet stove and couldn't be happier with it(unless it filled itself daily).

We also have a Lennox pellet stove, can't say we like it as much, the ash all collects in the pellet stove and you're left cleaning up inches of ash each week, there's usually about a cup or two of unburnt pellet clinkers left in the ashes each week, plus it's already gone through one igniter in 1.5 heating seasons.

The St Croix Hastings is self igniting, and there are rarely if ever clinkers in it. You can also hook it up to an external thermostat and it will start itself.

rona said:
I had a friend that sold both St Croix and Harman. he always said both were good reliable companies that made top of the line products. The St Croix is a simpler stove as the owner has to manually light the stove and dump the clinker. Very little to go wrong
Between the two he claimed the Harman PC45 was the Cadillac because of self start and no clinker to dump. They also have a room temp mode that works like a thermostat plus stove temp mode which is what St Croix has.They are also pretty simple but you do have a igniter and also have to replace the agitater occasionally.

St. Croix is the only brand I've owned, so can't really compare. All I know is it's burnt whatever pellets I've put in, and made my house warm and my wife happy . Ain't broke it yet , I ain't one to be gentle with stuff, either.

I was wondering how much the Lincoln (multi fuel) runs for?

geek said:
I was wondering how much the Lincoln (multi fuel) runs for?

Suggested list is:

Black door unit - 3,429.
Gold Door add - 195.
Nickel Door add - 195.
Gold Reveal for Grill - 117
Nickel Reveal for Grill - 117

They have Trivit Kits for 129. and 113 for the Gold and Brushed Nickel respectively.

Hope this helps!!
AR

If you move to AR, I'll sell you one!!! :)

I have a afton bay by st croix and i am very haooy with it. one issue with it was i broke the ignitor while cleaning it. It has been a great stove. It runs off a t-stat and self ignites and warms the house when needed. i paid 1,299 for it in 07 and have not looked back. It will run 2-3 weeks befroe needing a good cleaning but i clean it most times each week. go ahead and but a harmon for mega bucks or be happy with a nice st croix for 1/2 the money.....

woodsman23 said:
I have a afton bay by st croix and i am very haooy with it. one issue with it was i broke the ignitor while cleaning it. It has been a great stove. It runs off a t-stat and self ignites and warms the house when needed. i paid 1,299 for it in 07 and have not looked back. It will run 2-3 weeks befroe needing a good cleaning but i clean it most times each week. go ahead and but a harmon for mega bucks or be happy with a nice st croix for 1/2 the money.....

Woodsman you got a heck of a deal on that Afton Bay!! Did you find it used? The Afton Bay New Black Door Unit is 2,839. suggested list. Add 195. for the Gold Door.

AR

ARGlock said:
woodsman23 said:

Woodsman you got a heck of a deal on that Afton Bay!! Did you find it used? The Afton Bay New Black Door Unit is 2,839. suggested list. Add 195. for the Gold Door.

AR

Was new and 1/2 off during the month of may in 07, i bought 2 of them (one for my neighbor) at that price how can you go wrong.... But it does need to new style steel firebrick mine is starting to crack... i have the black door neighbor wanted gold and it was 110 more.

woodsman23 said:
ARGlock said:
woodsman23 said:

AR

Was new and 1/2 off during the month of may in 07, i bought 2 of them (one for my neighbor) at that price how can you go wrong.... But it does need to new style steel firebrick mine is starting to crack... i have the black door neighbor wanted gold and it was 110 more.

Wow, you really did good on that deal!!!

I also have a St.Croix Afton Bay. This will be my 3rd year burning and I have had zero issues with it. The versa-grate motor has become a little louder, but the dealer just gave me another one to replace it with...free. I mostly use it on level 2 because 3,4 & 5 would blow me out of the room. Very easy to clean and also very nice looking. The fake log insert makes it nicer, but handle with care as its kinda fragile. Use good quality pellets, keep it clean and you'll be very happy.

What Xena Said!!! No complaint with my prescott ! :zip:

oilhater said:
I also have a St.Croix Afton Bay. This will be my 3rd year burning and I have had zero issues with it. The versa-grate motor has become a little louder, but the dealer just gave me another one to replace it with...free. I mostly use it on level 2 because 3,4 & 5 would blow me out of the room. Very easy to clean and also very nice looking. The fake log insert makes it nicer, but handle with care as its kinda fragile. Use good quality pellets, keep it clean and you'll be very happy.

What did you pay for the stove if you don't mind me asking... ??

I am with everone else on the st. croix. I am into my 4 yr with my Prescott and i havent had any major issues with mine. the only thing that want bad was my exhaust blower motor. becides that it works like a champ heating the whole house.

magsf11 said:
I am with everone else on the st. croix. I am into my 4 yr with my Prescott and i havent had any major issues with mine. the only thing that want bad was my exhaust blower motor. becides that it works like a champ heating the whole house.

How many square feet are you heating with your 40,000 Btu Prescott? Sounds like it's doing a great job for you!!

AR

1400 sq feet single story. main room is 74 then the far beed room drops to 68. I use 2 small fan to move the air.

woodsman23 said:
oilhater said:

What did you pay for the stove if you don't mind me asking... ??
I think $2300. Anyone know what the 2010 price of these are?

Status
Not open for further replies.