stack or pile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a lot of rounds to split(3pt. hitch splitter). question is-should i stack it all in rows or would it work if i piled it high and let the sun and wind do its job? live waaay back in the hollow with no neighbors to complain about an unsightly(?) pile. good location for a pile- lots of sun and unblocked wind.i'm not lazy-just looking for the best way to season my wood for a year or so before i stack it in the woodshed that i will have completed monday-wife says NO to working on it christmas day! i kinda like the idea of a pile to look at-reminding me of all the work i put in and the benefits to come. what do you think?

Stacked wood, especially with the sun and wind directions taken into consideration, will season the wood a little faster. With a pile, the wood in the center has reduced exposure to these elements. Your mileage may vary, but I find looking out at the stacked wood is much more enjoyable than a pile.

+1

KC

I'd split it and stack it. Wood will definitely season faster if it is split. The problem with a pile is that a lot of the wood is on or near the ground which is a source of moisture. A stack keeps most of the wood off the ground and lets more air move through.

looks like stacking wins the day. thanks guys! and happy holidays. art

I prefer splitting and stacking as soon as I cut it. But thats just me. My buddy that works with me throws the rounds in a pile at his house and splits as he needs it. I'd say that what I burn is slightly more seasoned and looks a whole lot better than his unsightly piles. but thats just me.

Stack for best results.

oldspark said:
You poop in a pile but you stack firewood.

Hahahahaha. Yep that pretty much says it all. A C

artmos said:
looks like stacking wins the day. thanks guys! and happy holidays. art

But you still need to stack it right and the first order of business is to lay down a couple of runners to stack the wood on. You need to keep the wood from coming in contact with Mother Earth. Wind is the most important but sun is nice too. If you need it within a year, stack in single rows and stack so that the wind hits the sides of the piles and not the ends. If you cover the stacks, cover the top only. Never cover the sides or ends. Good luck.

Why poop when you can take a big ole dump? If you only have a year before you need it, stack it.

Attachments

• 040211 heao.jpg
    040211 heao.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 255
Status
Not open for further replies.