Stack temperature sensors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom

Jul 3, 2008
MA
hi All,

For those of you running controllers if you are getting the stack temperature what kind of sensor are you using to get it? I'm using the One Wire sensors with my Arduino controller but they can't read the high temps from the stack and would probably melt.

At some point I need to fully document my controller and share it with interested parties.

Twitch, I definitely owe it to you. You'd asked months ago and I never got back to you, I apologize for that, things have been very busy and I haven't been on the site much since then. If you still want the code let me know.

Its not perfect and could use some improvements but it's kept the system running pretty well.

thanks, Aaron

I just ordered a K type thermocouple and thermocouple amplifier to hook up to my Arduino.

I think you're pretty much limited to thermocouples. I use a stainless jacketed Type K probe style. Requires a thermocouple amplifier. Omega and others sell them....

Attachments

• tcamp.jpg
    tcamp.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 403
I installed a K-type 1292F probe about a week ago ($15 +/- on ebay) and plugged it into my digital K-type thermometer -- the Arduino comes later. For the non-Arduino crowd, use a 9VDC transformer power supply and eliminate the battery from the thermometer, so it's "on" whenever the boiler is "on." The probe went in the same hole the old magnetic probe used; also re-used the circular magnet and pressure fit the probe through a small piece of sheet metal, then through the magnet with the sheet metal holding the probe to the magnet, and the magnet to the flue. The benefit, besides much greater accuracy, is quick response and feedback to boiler burn performance. The old magnetic probe was very slow in response.

Status
Not open for further replies.