stack temps with cat stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
For those with stack thermometers on cat stoves, what happens when you go from bypass to cat mode? Does the stack temp increase or decrease?

Steve

I would expect the stack temp to increase a little when you close the bypass damper. The Catalytic fire is quite hot. However, stack temps can also be quite high if you are burning with the damper open and have lots of flame licking up into the flue.

When I hit light off temp and engage the cat, the stove pipe temp drops quite abit. Usually from 500 or so down to 275-300, then the stove temp starts to climb. Some how that cat keeps the heat in the stove and gives up just enough for draft.

I've noticed the same thing with my stove. I can't explain why except sometimes the fire licks the inside of the stove pipe when the baffle is open. I can't recall ever over heating my stovepipe with the cat engaged. I know I've cooked it a few times when it was open.

Matt

I haven't been burning a cat stove this year, but the Leyden we've been burning will lose temp when the bypass is closed too. It goes from around 800-1000 down to under 400. The stove holds a constant 500-650 depending on the air setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.