Stacked 3 cords this weekend in the rain!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I was free this weekend but the weather was awful. Saturday I stacked a couple cords in heavy rain and today I stacked the 3rd one in light drizzle. I really think I have a problem. :lol: It really sucked using a wheelbarrow since the yard is way to soft for the tractor and cart. I'm trying to get caught up so I can maybe fit some fishing/boating in this year instead of working on wood every free minute I get. I have my close racks filled up, I still want to cut another 4-5 cords this spring to get me 3 years ahead, it may wait till the fall though.

The area where I process my wood is an absolute mess, I can't wait for it to dry up some.

Pile started out as this, mostly ash.
P1170019.jpg

Left stack in this picture is one of the new cords.
P3140036.jpg

Right stack in this one is another new full cord, next one in is a 1/3 cord added to an existing stack.
P3140037.jpg

Muddy mess! 2/3 of a cord here.
P3140040.jpg

About a 1/3 of a cord left, I also gave 2/3 of a cord to a friend a while back to get him started on his wood for next year. So it started out as a 4 cord pile I figure.
P3140038.jpg

Looks like Dennis's wood :lol: That's some nice looking stacks you got there. It rained here all weekend too. Atleast the snows gone though.

rdust great job, I'm doing the same here. I hope to spend more time in the boat fishing or just enjoying the summer.

Zap

The area where I process my wood is an absolute mess

Yeah I know the name of that tune every year the area we process wood looks like an air strike hit it but it always recovers. You have to right idea to drive on and finish up now.

ohio woodburner said:
Looks like Dennis's wood :lol: That's some nice looking stacks you got there. It rained here all weekend too. Atleast the snows gone though.

Actually about a cord of wood from Dennis is covered up on the trailer that's in a couple of the pictures. :)

zapny said:
rdust great job, I'm doing the same here. I hope to spend more time in the boat fishing or just enjoying the summer.

Zap

I'm hoping but knowing me I'll be bringing home more wood since I now have "room" for it. :lol:

savageactor7 said:
Yeah I know the name of that tune every year the area we process wood looks like an air strike hit it but it always recovers. You have to right idea to drive on and finish up now.

It's such a mess, I cut/split that wood with snow on the ground, it's all showing now.

Looks great! I think I am procrastinating as I have wood that needs cutting/splitting. Maybe this week...

Shari

Nice work... How you like that MS 361? I've been running one up here in Alaska, cutting drift wood primarily for about two years now. Running a carbide saw chain, 20 inch bar. Just messed with the carb controls for the first time.. Great saw.

Attachments

• IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 427
You can tell rdust likes that ash. Good job.

aquamaniac said:
Nice work... How you like that MS 361?

Thanks! The saw is great, I bought it used and it was well used at that. I replaced the upper half and it's been great. It actually ran fine before replacing the upper half but I came across a deal I couldn't pass up. It actually makes me laugh/giggle like a little kid sometimes when I'm cutting since it cuts so nice.

Backwoods Savage said:
You can tell rdust likes that ash. Good job.

Thanks Dennis, I might be mixing it up a little soon. I may be picking up a large amount of black walnut. Not a big fan of the stuff but free is good.

I like the way the ends are stacked. Does that hold up pretty good? I use steel posts but would do this if the wood doesnt fall over.

westkywood said:
I like the way the ends are stacked. Does that hold up pretty good? I use steel posts but would do this if the wood doesnt fall over.

I haven't lost any yet stacking this way. The older weathered looking stacks have been like that since last spring when I stacked those. Some of them bow out after time but they seem to hold up fine. I got lazy on the two right stacks in this picture
P3140037.jpg
and stacked them on existing bottom rows instead of starting from scratch, I will probably redo those two at some point since they're driving me crazy due to a little lean already.

I find that if I start in the middle of a stack and work toward the ends the end pieces don't end up with a lot of pressure on them. When I split some nice squares I toss them to the side since they make nice end pieces.

rdust, maybe you should tell westkywood how badly our wood pile ends are after all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.