Stacking disapointment with new pic updated

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2010
Northern Maine
Ok started stacking some of my winters cut and splits and as I figured the piles dont have as much as I wood (pun) hope .Yes I know no pics it didnt happen so here it is 2-1/2 piles stacked one good size other small calcs out to .69 (dictionary) cord. Still have about 8 more piles hidden in the woods but think I need to get to work.

Ok now that snow is gone I keep finding more piles out there but also all the limbs are showing up to yuck guessing this years is done but need to gather it all up and stack

Attachments

• stack.jpg
    stack.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,079
That is the problem with piled wood. It is always a disappointment to see how much it stacks out to.

BrotherBart said:
That is the problem with piled wood. It is always a disappointment to see how much it stacks out to.
So true ,and it wasnt a huge surprize looked at piles figured one at 1/2 and one at 1/4 but I had hoped I was under estimating the piles .

What you have cut & split is seasoning. You are way ahead of lots of folks.
They have it delivered in Oct & start burning it.
You'll have some good dry wood come fall.
Good job
Now get more, you are right, you need more wood Because:::. You never have enough wood :)

bogydave said:
What you have cut & split is seasoning. You are way ahead of lots of folks.
They have it delivered in Oct & start burning it.
You'll have some good dry wood come fall.
Good job
Now get more, you are right, you need more wood Because:::. You never have enough wood :)
Thanks Dave
I am glad I had started in Oct - Feb and cut bucked and split as I went along. I wood guess there is about 1/2 cord still in the limbs too.Its my weekend off this weekend so I will be out
with husky and fiskars in hand.
PS I love your signature

Beautiful setting, looks like a nice spot to hang out and process some firewood.

It is difficult to be satisfied when one is not 2-3 years ahead on the wood supply. My advice is to continue on and get the limbs cut up and stacked along with stacking all the rest of the wood. Getting it stacked is how it will become dry enough to burn good.

I looks like you had a good winter and were able to be in the woods. Still some snow I see but not much. That is good. Is it also muddy around there now? What are the piles of dirt from or for? I see some brush there too so maybe you skid the trees out and do the cutting right there?

Stacking a big pile of splits always reminds that there is A LOT of wood in a cord.

It does stink how a big pile of wood looks so small when stacked. What you do have stacked looks good though.

SolarAndWood said:
Beautiful setting, looks like a nice spot to hang out and process some firewood.
Thanks solar soon it would be nicer if I had some level ground and more lawn bacc there , a work in progress,nice front view too of NB (Canada).

Backwoods Savage said:
It is difficult to be satisfied when one is not 2-3 years ahead on the wood supply. My advice is to continue on and get the limbs cut up and stacked along with stacking all the rest of the wood. Getting it stacked is how it will become dry enough to burn good.

I looks like you had a good winter and were able to be in the woods. Still some snow I see but not much. That is good. Is it also muddy around there now? What are the piles of dirt from or for? I see some brush there too so maybe you skid the trees out and do the cutting right there?
Thanks savage
If I had your piles I might be satisfied lol.Very nice breezes from the potatoe field next door not sure how much sun it will get but thinned it out some .Was cold winter working was tuff at times knee to waist deep in snow but was on a mission.Mud season is in full swing here .THose ugly dirt piles are sort of a water redirection program test a couple of nasty rain storms
that the potatoe field tryed to move here.I will get to the brush my thought was get as much big stuff cut and split drying but do hate the eyesore I will get to it lots of BTU s there still
just time wise want bigger pile quicker (greedy arent I ).All trees dropped bucked and split where they fall the craftsman works hard enuuf hauling the trailer some day I would love to have a bigger more versitile tractor all in time I hope.

certified106 said:
It does stink how a big pile of wood looks so small when stacked. What you do have stacked looks good though.
Thanks certified
That is all maple there sugar and red, woods piles are a mixed bag , ash , beech,fir,maple,and birch hope to fininish dropping and bucking this years this weekend and start on next before I get pulled off to stain half my log home this spring summer.

Got Wood said:
Stacking a big pile of splits always reminds that there is A LOT of wood in a cord.
Yes ther is when its a (dictionary ) cord IMO

Ok alittle more stacking and two tanks of gas burned cutting the limbs .Over one cord in the stack now 15 mph winds today with gusts of 40 cant work too long out there .

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 710
What I would do to have a space like that to work in- I only have 1.3 acres, and it is all on a slope- no level stacking place to be found. Also, not a whole lot of room to get ahead for next year, but I will find a way.

Keep on doing what you are doing- looks great from down here!

Remkel said:
What I would do to have a space like that to work in- I only have 1.3 acres, and it is all on a slope- no level stacking place to be found. Also, not a whole lot of room to get ahead for next year, but I will find a way.

Keep on doing what you are doing- looks great from down here!
Thank you
Dont worry all 6 plus acres I have are sloped ,ditched and pitched .I restack the stacks at least 2-3 times a year .This is my latest try between trees to see if it works
but after being out there today with 40 mph winds and trees bowing back and forth the idea dont look so good.

Ya, I never liked stacking between trees. Wind like that can be tough on trees with wood stacked against them. Building good ends is not that difficult either.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ya, I never liked stacking between trees. Wind like that can be tough on trees with wood stacked against them. Building good ends is not that difficult either.
I wish you lived closer I would come take your classes on stacking and getting ahead 2 plus years , I really envy you and your stacks.

Hey, I'd bet we could have some fun! Thanks for the compliment but it's not a big thing and I sometimes get pretty sloppy in the stacking, especially when I am trying to stack and my back hurts like crazy.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey, I'd bet we could have some fun! Thanks for the compliment but it's not a big thing and I sometimes get pretty sloppy in the stacking, especially when I am trying to stack and my back hurts like crazy.
Yes we would have some fun, with my half year work schedule 3 nights one week 4 the next and work every other weekend working then daddy daycare durring the week days off I have
its a lot of work . When the youngest starts school it will get easier,taking a two year old out in the woods doesnt work well for getting things done let alone the safety aspect .Yes stacking is very easy I restack several times a year lol. I hope that the wood will atleast continue to be more enjoyment than work for years, still love swinging that maul or x-25 ,soon the X27 the 25 is just to short for me but the wife will drive the x25 she has started to enjoy it and now wants a saw.

Get that wife a saw! If she wants to cut there is not good reason to not let her, even if she only does some limbing and cutting up of those limbs. I agree on the little one out in the woods. A teenager can also be a problem many times because their minds can still wander a lot; not a good thing when doing something like this. I almost crapped one day when one of our sons was learning the saw and almost cut his leg off! Thankfully, it turned out okay.

There is no reason you cannot enjoy doing this work for a long time. I started getting involved with it when I was about age 6. Now I have grandchildren and my youngest one just turned 20. (How did that happen so fast?) But I still enjoy the work and look forward to it every year. I also enjoyed splitting until an injury put a stop to that but now enjoy splitting with hydraulics. Point is, I still enjoy putting up the wood and really enjoy the heat it gives us every year.

Backwoods Savage said:
Get that wife a saw! If she wants to cut there is not good reason to not let her, even if she only does some limbing and cutting up of those limbs. I agree on the little one out in the woods. A teenager can also be a problem many times because their minds can still wander a lot; not a good thing when doing something like this. I almost crapped one day when one of our sons was learning the saw and almost cut his leg off! Thankfully, it turned out okay.

There is no reason you cannot enjoy doing this work for a long time. I started getting involved with it when I was about age 6. Now I have grandchildren and my youngest one just turned 20. (How did that happen so fast?) But I still enjoy the work and look forward to it every year. I also enjoyed splitting until an injury put a stop to that but now enjoy splitting with hydraulics. Point is, I still enjoy putting up the wood and really enjoy the heat it gives us every year.

Yes a saw is on the wish list for the wife, wanted to let her have the 455 and step up to a bigger saw for me that i could mill with but I still have not cut the tree with the money growing on it so maybe a husky 235 for her .She said she wants no part of felling probly better for me that way if she got the rush I do dropping them I would be the buck boy .I am sure hydraulics will be in my future but got a lot done this winter that got split that I couldnt drag a splitter out to with the snow .Grandpa here too, strange when one of your kids is younger than one of your grandchildren.

shouldntbesocomplicated said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Yes a saw is on the wish list for the wife, wanted to let her have the 455 and step up to a bigger saw for me that i could mill with but I still have not cut the tree with the money growing on it so maybe a husky 235 for her .She said she wants no part of felling probly better for me that way if she got the rush I do dropping them I would be the buck boy .I am sure hydraulics will be in my future but got a lot done this winter that got split that I couldnt drag a splitter out to with the snow .Grandpa here too, strange when one of your kids is younger than one of your grandchildren.

Perhaps I misled you on this. The son who almost cut his leg off is also the father of my 20 year old grandchild. Or in other words, it happened many moons ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.