Stacking for selection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mhrischuk

I will be stacking my wood in the next few weeks. I have a few questions.
Thank you in advance.

Do you segregate your wood in stacks by species...

Do you segregate your wood in stacks by dryness..

Do you stack in a fashion that exposes different split and rounds at all times like this...

PICT0209.jpg

Nice stax. A quick calculation looks like 2.5 to 3 cords there, how close am I?

I separate my stax by species and dryness also. Or at least try to keep like woods together when I only have a little of a species (dogwood goes with oak, sassafras goes with pine). If a split is too heavy it goes to next years stack for more drying.

mhrischuk said:
Thank you in advance.

Do you segregate your wood in stacks by species...

Do you segregate your wood in stacks by dryness..

Do you stack in a fashion that exposes different split and rounds at all times like this...

Mike,
That's a good place to store your "ready" wood.. My main concern is keeping my ready wood seperated from next years wood.. If my species mix no big deal to pick what I want.. Have you considered securing a tarp up top that you can roll down to keep rain and snow off the wood during the burning season? I did something like that on my shelter and I keep the tarps rolled up and secured for all but the burning season.. With them secured up top I never have to store them.. If you do something like this use the heavy duty tarps as they last much longer..

Ray

The only seperation my wood sees is that of which I am going to burn this season, and that which can wait. This years in the shed and under the deck area 9short term storage) the rest of them stays out stacked up until needed. I would consider seperating soft woods from hard if I really had a bunch of soft, otherwise I let it comingle.

Shawn

nice stacks..that looks more like 6 cords to me....i seperate by species and dryness..

steeltowninwv said:
nice stacks..that looks more like 6 cords to me....i seperate by species and dryness..

Want to buy some firewood ? :lol:

so how many cord is it?...it looks to be stacked about 6 feet tall...im saying 2.3 feet deep....and 54 feet long(this is where i may be wrong)....that is 5.82 cord

Usually the only separation I try for is to separate my best wood and wood that take longer to season(ie oak).

When I first starting burning I separated by dryness but now that I'm ahead there isn't much need. I know whatever I cut now won't need to be burned for 3-4 seasons. If it's standing dead that will be ready sooner I may move it up the list and let the oaks or other longer seasoning woods have more time.

I stack in round stacks each about 2 cords. I do not separate the wood into separate stack by species. I am a couple of years ahead so it should all be seasoned before I need to use it; there is enough time for even to slowest weoods to season.

mhrischuk said:
Thank you in advance.

Do you segregate your wood in stacks by species... No

Do you segregate your wood in stacks by dryness.. No

Do you stack in a fashion that exposes different split and rounds at all times like this... And, no

PICT0209.jpg

Hope this helps

That's not my wood in the picture. I found it online ... I think that's in Germany.

Between what I bought ans everything I have to process I will probably have 6-8 cords stacked. No stacks yet.

rdust said:
Usually the only separation I try for is to separate my best wood and wood that take longer to season(ie oak).

When I first starting burning I separated by dryness but now that I'm ahead there isn't much need. I know whatever I cut now won't need to be burned for 3-4 seasons. If it's standing dead that will be ready sooner I may move it up the list and let the oaks or other longer seasoning woods have more time.
do the smae thing. i only took a cord of my oak this year since i had some maple and cotton wood. so im letting my oak get a good 3 years before i burn it.

steeltowninwv said:
so how many cord is it?...it looks to be stacked about 6 feet tall...im saying 2.3 feet deep....and 54 feet long(this is where i may be wrong)....that is 5.82 cord

Its about 3 cord. The cinder blocks are 16" long. I figured 30' long x 6 ' tall x 3' wide I think that is being generous. Notice the front one row dont go all the way to the end. If it did it would be about 3.6 cord being generous on the length and width.

mhrischuk said:
That's not my wood in the picture. I found it online ... I think that's in Germany.

Between what I bought ans everything I have to process I will probably have 6-8 cords stacked. No stacks yet.

Mike that's firewood plagiarism!! I am deeply offended that you portrayed a nice firewood when in fact it belonged to someone in Germany! Heck that's metric wood so it never counts!!

:lol:

Ray

Yep, this being my first year of trying to get ahead, I've got everything separate...drier stuff and species. And there's a "primo" row...dry BL and Dogwood. Wish that row was longer. :smirk:

raybonz said:
mhrischuk said:

Mike that's firewood plagiarism!! I am deeply offended that you portrayed a nice firewood when in fact it belonged to someone in Germany! Heck that's metric wood so it never counts!!

:lol:

Ray

This is how I stack ;)

Attachments

• treestack.jpg
    treestack.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 527
I do stack the oak separately but the rest just goes into the stack. As for dryness, no I do not separate as that would be difficult for us as we have stacks of wood all over the place and they've been there more than a few months.

Everything goes into the same stack . . . regardless of species, size, rounds or splits . . . and then I pick and choose from the pile when I'm deciding what wood to burn.

That said . . . I do have a separate pile of oak that I picked up free . . . it is separate due to both its size (it was bucked up shorter than I normally buck up my wood) and I will be leaving it outdoors for an extra year to season.

I seperate by what can be burned in the dead of winter in one pile and what is good for fall and spring in another pile.Lot of beech on the good pile and mainly silver maple and box elder on the fall pile.

I like to stack by species and dryness. I try to keep each years wood segregated in with "their own kind". This way I can just tell my son which stacks to fetch wood from - depending on the month/temperature. Silver maple in fall - ash as it gets colder - and black locust as old man winter really starts biting... :shut:

The season's burn gets separated into: kindling, overnighters, lessers (elm, silver maple, pine, tulip, etc) on the left of the burn shed, greaters (sugar maple, locust, beech, etc) on the right, chunks and uglies. If I didn't burn as much as I do, I probably wouldn't bother separating. But, I find separating upfront makes winter a lot easier.

Attachments

• 080811 overnighters.jpg
    080811 overnighters.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 121010 dug out and ready.jpg
    121010 dug out and ready.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 060211 chunk heap.jpg
    060211 chunk heap.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 148
I mix sizes when I load the wheelbarrow during the burn season. Small stuff in the front for the refire after work, bigger stuff towards the back for overnight.

I try to break it out based on species, by year. The problem i run into is the amount of one particular species over another. I only have a handfull of cherry and hickory, if i tried to use these pockets at different times i could see running into an issue of being able to "get to it" when i wanted. But i try.

Status
Not open for further replies.