Stacking propane tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Out of curiosity, for those who stacked propane tanks for storage, how did you rig the top one. I have one 500 gallon tank in place, if I were to stack another one, how would I pick it.?
It weighs 1000 pds.

Two 5,000lbs ratcheting tie downs, two floor jacks, 6x6 lumber, some good luck and low winds.

I only dropped my top tank once (from about 1' off the ground) when lifting. It's not particularly safe doing it this way but it worked. For the guy that doesn't have much in the way of heavy equipment I couldn't think of a better way. I wasn't about to spend $150 on a pair of come alongs. I tied mine off every foot or so to make sure if it did drop from a few feet up it wouldn't go all the way to the floor.

Several pulleys are also required to spin the tank as it lifts. She'll end up sideways as you lift it without a way to pull it back upright...

3168425667_d1061bafe9_o.jpg

I used a come along attached to 2" x 2" square tubing which was laying on 4-5 of the 2" x 8" rafters.

I lifted the top tank all the way to the top, slide the bottom tank into position, set the (4) fabricated stand into position (these staddled the bottom tank) and then lowered the top tank onto the stand.

If you go to my company website at www.upnorthenergy.com and look at my photo album page you will see what I am talking about.

Thanks, NWM

I used 2 come alongs to lift the first tank then slid my other tank under and bolted the two together. I had the tank vendor weld mounting plates and inlet/outlet nipples to simplify my install. It was a great feeling lowering the top tank to it's fnal resting place.
best of luck and use caution!

If I go through with this, all I can pick from are the main floor 2X10 joists. I'd rather not do that. I can't use a roust-a-bout cause I can't get the legs under the existing tank. It's laying on 4X4"sleepers. I may have to fabricate a steel hoist frame.
I sure wish I can convince myself to just be content with the 500 gallons of storage I have now.

Chuck, I didn't want to pick up from my joists either. You can purchase the rack setup in my photo for less than $500. Really the only other alternative is welding on the tanks. For me that was not an option....

stee6043 can you post the website and product info on the rack stand you used? Looks very rugged and easy to assemble.

~ Phil

Pallet racks come in various load bearing grades.

A lot of industrial salvage and scrap dealers have piles of the stuff. Look for used stuff 1st.

Business auctions are advertised more and more frequently these days.

I've used them quite a bit. We call them 520's. I wouldn't be able to snake the legs under the existing tank because I outsmarted myself and mounted 4x4's on the tank legs to spread the load.

My racking is Steel King. You can find a local distributor from their website. Just google them.

As for used racking - yes, it's out there everywhere but be careful. Standard pallet racking beams do not have capacity stickers on them. For a 10 foot span you will only find one or two beam types that will support 6,000lbs+. Instead of risking a really bad situation resulting from undersized beams I decided to spend a couple hundred extra and get exactly what I needed....buyer beware I guess...

As for used racking - yes, it’s out there everywhere but be careful. Standard pallet racking beams do not have capacity stickers on them. For a 10 foot span you will only find one or two beam types that will support 6,000lbs+. Instead of risking a really bad situation resulting from undersized beams I decided to spend a couple hundred extra and get exactly what I needed....buyer beware I guess…

Very well put. I would still put some vertical supports like jack studs and in the middle under the beams after you get the top tank up there, regardless of rating.

And, having been through a number of earthquakes in So. California, I would put some significant diagonal bracing in there, too.

Stacked 500 gallon propane tanks full of water = 10,000#
Does it become top heavy?

Status
Not open for further replies.