Stacking wood on pavement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
I am getting smarter this year and stacking my wood closer to the house, near where I use it. I have plenty of extra room in my driveway - if you were stacking wood directly on pavement, would you still put something underneath the wood? Seems a bit unnecessary, but even on pavement the bottom layer is going to get wet, and occasionally sit in a bit of water after a rain. Is it worth the hassle of putting down old pallets or other material first?

I would always put the wood up on something while drying. Gives better air circulation if nothing else. What's the harm in putting some pallets down, they're free?

Definitely the wood still needs something under it even if on pavement. Even 3-4" will do the trick. Heck, I just stacked some wood on some 2" poles and that is not even on pavement; just out in the field. The key is to have even just a little air circulation.

I don't use anything and have a hard enough time stacking on flat concrete..... %-P

Attachments

• splitting wood.jpg
    splitting wood.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 723
Im assuming blacktop ? I'd put it on pallets or somthing to disperse the weight or you may end up with depreshions in your drive.

woodsmaster said:
Im assuming blacktop ? I'd put it on pallets or somthing to disperse the weight or you may end up with depreshions in your drive.

Actually, with pallets all of the weight of the wood rests on only three contact areas along the bottom, so there will be a higher load/sq.in with the pallets.

Battenkiller said:
woodsmaster said:

Actually, with pallets all of the weight of the wood rests on only three contact areas along the bottom, so there will be a higher load/sq.in with the pallets.

Most pallets I get have boards on the bottom that would help disperse the weight. A couple of 2 x 6 's may work better ?

I stacked it on the blacktop this year. It was a pleasure, to the extent possible. The driveway sloped somewhat there which I kind of thought about, so I arranged the lower level to help the drainage. The water doesn't collect despite some real big rains, but I could've done a better job there I guess. I stacked it 4 wide, something you can't do with the pallets. I can see the bottom layer sticking to the pavement when it's freezing and snowy, but I am hoping for the best to draw the wood down this winter. I wish it was in a shed...

My season's burn goes on blacktop under a roof but after it is dry already. No depressions or rot and I go 10' high.

Attachments

• 121010 dug out and ready.jpg
    121010 dug out and ready.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 638
What do you do, walk up a ladder a million times to cord it that high?

NATE379 said:

Raise loader to desired height, put wood on stack while standing on wife's kitchen "ladder".

SolarAndWood said:
NATE379 said:

Raise loader to desired height, put wood on stack while standing on wife's kitchen "ladder".

If that dont leave a mark I would say the op is safe! lol Heck I cant stack much over 4 foot without it falling over! ;-)

SolarAndWood said:
My season's burn goes on blacktop under a roof but after it is dry already. No depressions or rot and I go 10' high.

Thats a Good looking stack of wood. How much do you rekon is there Solar? 10-15 Cord??

If your stacks are that close you can run out and get it in your undies. LOL

smokinjay said:
I cant stack much over 4 foot without it falling over! ;-)

Wedging between blacktop, ceiling and walls on 3 sides makes it pretty stable.

DexterDay said:
SolarAndWood said:

Thats a Good looking stack of wood. How much do you rekon is there Solar? 10-15 Cord??

Not that much. 2 rows of 18" 32 feet wide. Somewhere between 7 and 8 cord.

woodsmaster said:
Most pallets I get have boards on the bottom that would help disperse the weight. A couple of 2 x 6 's may work better ?

Under the pallets? Then no, not really, you're still concentrating all of the weight on those 2x6s instead of the entire area the pallet will cover. Anyway, it's irrelevant AFAIC. I don't think the wood or the pallets will have any effect on the driveway. I just being a stickler about how the weight is actually dispersed under the pallet.

I have a old grain truck that was full of roofing that I left sit on black top for a couple of days. When I moved it there were depressions where the tires were. That was probably a lot more weight than a stack of wood though.

If asphalt, the hot summer sun can make it a bit soft for sure. I've seen lots of strange depressions in that stuff and that alone would be enough to stop me from stacking much on it. But I'm not so sure a stack of wood will leave much of a depression. Cars and trucks will but they are heavy; much heavier than wood.

I've never measured it, but I'd be pretty confident that the temp under a stacked pallet would be pretty cool compared to the blacktop around a tire contact point on a hot, sunny summer day. I can't imagine it being a problem.

mecreature said:
If your stacks are that close you can run out and get it in your undies. LOL

Mine are re-stacked right outside the basement door (directly on the concrete) in late fall.... and I sometimes do run out in me skivvies.

Battenkiller said:
I've never measured it, but I'd be pretty confident that the temp under a stacked pallet would be pretty cool compared to the blacktop around a tire contact point on a hot, sunny summer day. I can't imagine it being a problem.

Only on the edges on the sunny side.

Status
Not open for further replies.