Stainless Liner Sizing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
I have a 7x11" rectangular flue which I believe is 6"x10" I.D. I also have a 6" round thimble all of which service my 6" double wall stove pipe for my woodstove. I ran this for a couple months last year with decent performance but I would like to add a stainless liner for better performance and peace of mind. Can I squeeze a 6" round liner into my flue and thimble? Also, is it adventageous to insulate the liner? I have a 25'-28' tall chimney with terra-cotta flue which is insulated with rockwool between the flue and brick.

Sounds like you'll have to get an oval liner. And you should be able to insulate it.
There are adapters to make the connection to your existing double wall - provided you have access to the interior.
A pic of the hearth would be helpful

I have a 7x11" rectangular flue which I believe is 6"x10" I.D. I also have a 6" round thimble all of which service my 6" double wall stove pipe for my woodstove. I ran this for a couple months last year with decent performance but I would like to add a stainless liner for better performance and peace of mind. Can I squeeze a 6" round liner into my flue and thimble? Also, is it adventageous to insulate the liner? I have a 25'-28' tall chimney with terra-cotta flue which is insulated with rockwool between the flue and brick.

With a chimney that tall, run a 5.5 diameter SS liner down with a 6" snout to make your connection thru the thimble. Run it like that for a half a season & when you clean it for the first time, you'll know if there is considerable cooling in the liner by the amount of build-up in it. Insulation can't hurt, but something like Thermix for insulating is a PITA & you'll never get that liner back out. You should have a top plate supplied with your liner & you can always use unfaced fiberglass or rockwool under that to keep the top of your liner from cooling too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.