stand for timber tuff sharpener

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just got one yesterday-haven't used it yet-maybe today. has anyone made a floor stand for theirs? similar to one for a grinder,etc. i'm not great at conceptualizing this kind of project,but i am a pretty fair welder. a picture or sketch would be great. thanks,art

Here is what I use for all my tools since I dont have the space for multiple dedicated stands. I'll try and get some pics later. I use a plow disc for a base ( and old car rim will work to ) and have 1.5" galvanized pipe that is 4' long and threaded on both ends welded upright. I then mount a small piece of 2x10 or 2x12 to each piece of equipment and attach one of these to it:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Structural-Pipe-Fitting-4NXV9

I just keep the threads lubricated with antisieze and I can just unscrew the tool and attach another pretty quick. I have also used a 5 gallon bucket full of concrete before for a base. Just mix a bag of ready mix and set the upright pipe in it.

sounds like a winner! do you have any pix-they would greatly help. thanks! art

artmos said:
sounds like a winner! do you have any pix-they would greatly help. thanks! art

I guess pics may have to wait for now. My 7 yo says she vaguely remembers using the camera a few days ago. Doesn't remember where it went from there.

Instead of created a floor space robbing unitasker, I made a frame that I attach under my grinder that simply clamps in a vise. Very sturdy and can be moved to a shelf when not in use. Don't take this as discouragement of your project, just another idea or approach to it.

jags- that sounds perfect. easy to fabricate? metal or wood? do you have any pictures of it? thanks. art

Mine is metal, but wood would work as well. I don't have pics, but basically it is a plate approximately the size of the sharpener base, then I welded a 2 x 2 x 4" (long) scrap of square tubing to it. Bolt the sharpener to the base and then clamp the 2x2 in the vice.

artmos said:
jags- that sounds perfect. easy to fabricate? metal or wood? do you have any pictures of it? thanks. art
I made mine out of wood, bolted the sharpener to a 2 x 6 and that board was screwed to a 2x4 and the 2x4 is what goes into the vise.

I mounted mine to the work bench.

Since this is to mount a tool related to wood, why not make a stand out of wood? Find a blowdown that pulled up the stump and cut it so that some of the stump flare forms the base.

thanks for the suggestions,guys. what i did is take a 7x9 pice of 1/4 in. plate, drill 2 holes to line up with the sharpeners mounting holes. then i drilled 2 holes in the plate and bolted a5 in. piece of 1/4 in. angle iron on the underside of the plate ,spray painted the whole thing a gloss black rustoleum, bolted the grinder to the top of the plate and BINGO- i have a great mounting system that bolts into any vise. i'll use it in my barn shop when it's warmer out and the basement of the cabin when it's not. very portable. art

This thread needs pictures...

Status
Not open for further replies.