Started my pre-season cleaning today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
Gave the neighbors a good soot bath... sorry no pix from THAT... I was too busy having fun with the leaf blower AND 140 psi of compressed air...

I was amazed that after I did my usual 'after one ton' routine... I vacuumed everything I could find, sucked out the ash with the leaf blower all the while tapping the firebox sides, using a bottle brush to clean out the ash traps... after all of that I fired up the leaf blower again and used compressed in every place inside the stove... an amazing amount of ash was still hiding in every nook and cranny.

I did a little personal experiment this year... after my shortened heating season ended in late feb. when we started a major living room remodel, I temporarily put my stove on my front porch... under cover but not covered up with a tarp or anything. I didn't clean it, either. I've always heard the advice to throughly clean everything before you shut the stove down for the summer... so I did the exact opposite. I did nothing...

I can hear the gasps already... yeah I know it's an expensive piece of equipment that deserves my care and attention but I wanted to know how bad the stove would get without doing a spring cleaning nor providing any sort of preventative maintenance. I'm happy to report that the stove looks pretty darn good inside... the soot got a little 'heavy'... no doubt from picking up moisture (a late spring snow actually buried part of the stove for a day!). Everything else looks perfect... I guess the way I treated it would be no worse than sticking it in an unheated garage or a damp basement. Now I know.

There's a little surface rust on some of the outside surfaces... pretty minor. I bought some good stove paint from my dealer and will sand it and give it a shot of color. Should be ready for a test burn tonite... anybody else run their stove in their driveway?

100_1081.jpg

When I brought home the Enviro mini I had it outside first to clean it, vac, leaf blower and air compressor just like you did.
Then I figured it was outside sitting on my deck it was a good time to fire it up...to bad it was the end of July and 90 out. :wow:

A little cooler here tonite but still pretty nice...

Status
Not open for further replies.