Started on the Glory Hole!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
My friend had most of his property trees logged in the past month. What they could not take, he said I can come in and cut up as much firewood as I want. :) I posted about this previously here:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/oregon-logging-action-pics-and-big-upcoming-scrounge.85987/

He told me yesterday, the loggers are done falling trees, and to come on over. Wow, there are three big slash piles full of firewood, basically about 600 feet total of piles! It's mostly Douglas Fir, second most Oregon Big Leaf Maple, and the rest is some pine, some spruce, and even a little ash. He will sell as a U-Cut what I don't want, and what other friends don't want.

I'm not sure when I will get over and get some more. I have a dead honey locust to fall at my sister's house next week. Then I have family coming into town, so it might be few weeks before I can get back there.

I concentrated on the Maple. Tonight will be an Advil night, I'm so sore! I cut and loaded this in 3 hours in 83::F degree weather. I will be pouring a big tall glass of sun tea, in about 10 seconds. I will split it later when I have time. This will be 2014-2015 wood.

Enjoy the pics! :)

Attachments

• DSCN2582.JPG
    DSCN2582.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCN2583.JPG
    DSCN2583.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCN2584.JPG
    DSCN2584.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCN2585.JPG
    DSCN2585.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 244
  • DSCN2586.JPG
    DSCN2586.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCN2587.JPG
    DSCN2587.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 192
Great looking score & nice view,you definitely earned that Advil & ice tea. If you never cut or burned Honey Locust you're in for a treat.Quite hard,bit more than White Oak & about the same weight.Excellent fuel for those long cold nights.I scored a p/u load off CL on Wednesday,primo stuff that will be milled into random blocks & slabs pretty soon.

Thistle, the iced tea is very refreshing right now, yum! I have never burned honey locust, so I guess I'm in for a treat! I say its dead, but really there are some live shoots growing from the lowest ends of the tree. But the branches have not had leaves for a couple years. There is probably 1/2 cord give or take in that honey locust tree. My brother in law needs it gone, because he has to put in a new septic drain field. The old one is like 50 years old and has reached capacity. It will also be 2014-2015 wood. I hope it does not have rot. I'll take pics when I get 'r done.

And today's load was also half a cord, or so. That's all my truck can fit. I had two pieces I could not fit in the back of the truck, so they came home with me in the cab. I just don't like to leave wood I've cut. I'm probably one of those wood hoarders, like we all are on hearth.com.

What do you mill it for in random blocks & slabs? Bowls and such?

Nice score bigfoot, you need yourself a trailer, you'll more than double your take, looks like easy piles to cut from too.

Thistle, the iced tea is very refreshing right now, yum! I have never burned honey locust, so I guess I'm in for a treat! I say its dead, but really there are some live shoots growing from the lowest ends of the tree. But the branches have not had leaves for a couple years. There is probably 1/2 cord give or take in that honey locust tree. My brother in law needs it gone, because he has to put in a new septic drain field. The old one is like 50 years old and has reached capacity. It will also be 2014-2015 wood. I hope it does not have rot. I'll take pics when I get 'r done.

And today's load was also half a cord, or so. That's all my truck can fit. I had two pieces I could not fit in the back of the truck, so they came home with me in the cab. I just don't like to leave wood I've cut. I'm probably one of those wood hoarders, like we all are on hearth.com.

What do you mill it for in random blocks & slabs? Bowls and such?

Yup,whatever the logs will yield in clear pieces. 2-4" thick,4"-20" wide,lengths 1 to 4 ft. Slabs for woodturning,small bench seats or footstools,cutting boards,some to be resawed later for boxes,small furniture parts & pieces,bit of everything.

You have a definition of a glory hole a lot different than the one I am familiar with. ;lol

Great score. Get all you can out of that place!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Well you won't get bored. When you need something to do. Go cut wood.
Tired of cutting wood, then split some wood
Tired of cutting & splitting wood, the stack some wood.

Time for a trailer?

Great score. Being that far ahead must be nice.
Really like the pics ;)

Reactions: ScotO
Good pictures of a great score, Bigfoot. Ya must have been like a kid in a candy store.. But the kid can only fit so much candy in his belly. Yep, ibuprophen - plenty of the oldsters like me on this forum would do well to band together and own a company that makes the stuff. Good job being that far ahead on firewood!

Great score, OB! I remember your last post and was wondering when you were going to get in there to start cutting. Looks like you'll have plenty of work to do in the upcoming months. You'll be set for years to come, though!

Good pictures of a great score, Bigfoot. Ya must have been like a kid in a candy store.. But the kid can only fit so much candy in his belly. Yep, ibuprophen - plenty of the oldsters like me on this forum would do well to band together and own a company that makes the stuff. Good job being that far ahead on firewood!

Hearth.com should band together and sell hearthuprofen! :) It'll be a best seller on here! I popped something in my right wrist last night unloading the wood, and it just plain smarts today. I hope I didn't injure something. !! Typing this is painful.

Well you won't get bored. When you need something to do. Go cut wood.
Tired of cutting wood, then split some wood
Tired of cutting & splitting wood, the stack some wood.

Time for a trailer?

Great score. Being that far ahead must be nice.
Really like the pics ;)

Yes, I could use a trailer, that would be great! I couldn't find any helpers yesterday. I could have got more with a trailer, but called it a day at one - 1/2 cord truck load, because I was just plain tuckered out.

I store my future wood at my sister's property. I can fit maybe 4 or 5 - 1/2 cord truck loads more, than I need to find somewhere else on their property to store wood. But then, I'll be 3 years ahead, and that's about all I want to do, because I don't like to cut wood in the heat of summer. Looks like I will have to cut in warm weather this year, or loose this golden opportunity. My brother in law has a TALL Douglas Fir tree about 36" in diameter he wants gone this summer too. I'm tired right now thinking about that beast, it's probably 120+ feet tall. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.