Starting a Yukon Stove with gasoline, Don’t Try This at Home...I’m not kidding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglecraft

Aug 18, 2010
Eastern Idaho
The recent thread ( https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/91067/ ) concerning the Amish man that was killed by using kerosene to re-start his wood-stove fire prompted me to relate my own experience on using flammable liquids to start a fire in a wood-stove. I most certainly sympathize with the family of this man. It was a terrible accident.

Some years ago, my deer hunting buddies and I would rent a U.S. Forrest Service cabin at Kook Lake located on Chichagof Island in Southeast Alaska. This particular cabin, like many other Forrest Service cabins, came equipped with a Yukon wood stove. For those that don't have experience with a Yukon wood stove, view this link: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/military-style-swedish-yukon-wood-stove-black.aspx?a=759104.

On my first trip to Kook Lake, the senior member of our hunting party suggested that he was going to start the wood stove using white-gas that we had brought along to fuel out Coleman lanterns and cook stove. I thought to myself, "Is this guy nuts?" He opened up a small can of tuna fish and emptied its contents. He then filled the can with small beach gravel gathered from the lake. Then he put enough white gas to fill the can 1/2 to 3/4 full so that no gas was showing at the top of the can. He placed the can in the stove, placed kindling on top of the can and lit the gasoline filled tuna can off. I was watching from a safe distance outside the cabin. The tuna can made a small flame, but did not explode. However it did manage to start the wet kindling burning. You have to remember that 1) Southeast Alaska is very wet, and so is the firewood; and 2) he was using this method from a cold start, not from a stove that had hot coals or embers.

I used this same method many times to light similar Yukon stoves in other cabins around S.E. Alaska. But I warn you, "Don't Try This at Home."

If you are interested in renting a South East Alaska Forrest Service Cabin, see the following link. It is a great experience - a salmon with every cast - no joke.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/cabins/sitka/kooklk.shtml

Like you really think you can tell us something that cool and then expect that we're not going to experiment? Okay maybe you should have said don't try this IN the home.

I have to confess that for years I started the old insert, only from dead cold, with a tuna can with a little kero in the bottom under small splits. But always with the door cracked so any fumes went up the chimney. Dumb.

Nothing but Super Cedars for me anymore.

There has been a good many outdoor fires I've started that exact same way. As a kid camping, that's what we had so that's what we used. Maybe it would be a good idea to drop a few supercedars off to the boyscouts just in case their habits have not improved over the years.

Only time we ever had a problem using white gas was during a rainstorm. I had given up on getting the fire started and was walking back to someones vehicle to grab an emergency flare to use to get the thing burning. On my way back a buddy had found a nearly empty white gas tin and decided it wise to invert it and sprinkle the last few drops from the can into the smoldering mess we had. Apparently there was one warm coal in there because a fire started and it tracked back up those drops and blew the can out of his hand damn near to tree top height.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.