Starting stove after power outage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madhatter

Mar 11, 2011
Northampton County, PA
Last night my power went for a couple of hours.
The fire in my harman advance burned out and the stove had completely cooled down.
It was running on stove temp with the ignitor on auto. When the power came back on the stove did not relight as I had
expected that it would. The only LED that was lit was the Power LED. After turning the control pot to off and then back to it's
previous position, the stove went into its start cycle and lit.

Is this how they are designed to function? Some sort of safety feature?

thats the way mine works according to the manual
have to go to off to reset
then back to on

Madhatter said:
Last night my power went for a couple of hours.
The fire in my harman advance burned out and the stove had completely cooled down.
It was running on stove temp with the ignitor on auto. When the power came back on the stove did not relight as I had
expected that it would. The only LED that was lit was the Power LED. After turning the control pot to off and then back to it's
previous position, the stove went into its start cycle and lit.

Is this how they are designed to function? Some sort of safety feature?

Totally normal. The same thing should happen if you
run completely out of fuel. Once you refill the hopper,
you will hafta turn it off & then back to your normal
settings...

Ditto on my Harman Accentra. Gotta turn to off and then fire it back up.

Thanks for for the replies, I had looked in the manual, but must have read right over that part.

On a another note, I was very pleased that as the stove burned out during the power outage, I had not a bit
of smoke/smell in the house. (I have a 5' vertical rise before exiting)

I'm nearing the end of my third week of heating with pellets and totally loving it!!

I would think that the reason they would have it programed to work that way is because the burn pot could get overfilled with un burnt pellets after a power loss and could have a serious problem with an unattended start up. Most require someone to be there on a start up.
Or I could be wrong.

When it loses power, the control loses its memory, and reverts to an idle state, most likely for safety, as mentioned. My Afton Bay defaults to basic settings for the lowest heat range on a power loss, so if I have changed them, I have to "rechange" them to where I want them. It also forgets what heat setting I had, plus I have to restart the stove. I suppose they could have added a small battery for backup, but that would add to the cost and be something else to maintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.