Startup Feedrate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

verge32

Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2008
RI
I have a new quad 1200i, lately I have been noticing alot of smoke upon startup. Today the burnpot filled about half full and tried to ignite, looked like a chimney fire and a big pop when it did start. Luckily I went to the stove when I seen the yard full of smoke and all I could do was turn the thermostat down. What causes so much pellets to drop at startup? I have been cleaning the burnpot, firebox everyday. Does pellet brands vary upon startup? I have been trying different brands. Anybody else with this problem?

Does a Quad have an air intake/damper? I would see about giving it a little more air on start up.

Eric

Not sure if the insert model is different but my freestanding CB1200 has no damper. The only adjustment on the thing is the trap door leading to the auger.

I have never experienced a situation like the original poster describes.

I assumed that the temp sensor over the burn pot was supposed to ensure that ignition had actually happened before allowing more pellets to drop...

I am using a programmable thermostat and actually the thing kicks the stove on and off almost constantly. I wish I could set a range of a couple degrees so it would have fewer startups...

Anyway, in spite of so many startups I have never had a failed ignition in the 12 bags of Hamer's Hot Ones I have burned.

I cleaned the stove again and going to try a different pellet brand and setting the feed rate kinda low. Is there anyway to "abort" it if the auger keeps feeding pellets during the startup? It seemed like the glass almost blew out last time. What do you do if the pellets wont stop feeding during startup besides turning down thermostat?

The only thing I could think of that I may have done was try the american freedom pellets (home depot) which were very thin and short. Maybe they were feeding too much during each drop (like 4x the amount). The other pellets that I tried were a little thicker and longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.