Stat questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellsbells1975

Dec 2, 2011
upstate ny
I bought a house with a Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 insert. The stove seems to be short cycling. The stat calls for more heat when stove blower is still running. This causes the firepot to overload resulting in huge flames at startup and smoke leakage out of the airwash.

The stove is currently hooked up to a Honeywell programmable thermostat. This stat has no swing setting so the stove is always kickiing on and off.

I found a nice rite temp stat with a swing setting I would like to install. Will any programmable stat work with the stove?

Thanks for any response. I am a newbie with this stove but I am assuming short cycling the stove isn't the best idea.

Thanks,

Pat

hellsbells1975 said:
I bought a house with a Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 insert. The stove seems to be short cycling. The stat calls for more heat when stove blower is still running. This causes the firepot to overload resulting in huge flames at startup and smoke leakage out of the airwash.

The stove is currently hooked up to a Honeywell programmable thermostat. This stat has no swing setting so the stove is always kickiing on and off.

I found a nice rite temp stat with a swing setting I would like to install. Will any programmable stat work with the stove?

Thanks for any response. I am a newbie with this stove but I am assuming short cycling the stove isn't the best idea.

Thanks,

Pat

I agree w/ BeGreen about the Lux stats...this is a particularly nice one:

www.amazon.com/Lux-TX1500E-Smart-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B00099HERE

One other question....where is the stat located in relation to the stove, and how far away is it?

imacman said:
hellsbells1975 said:

Thanks,

Pat

I agree w/ BeGreen about the Lux stats...this is a particularly nice one:

www.amazon.com/Lux-TX1500E-Smart-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B00099HERE

Thanks for the response. The stat is located to the right of the stove about 5 feet away. I know this is probably not ideal but I have limited options

One other question....where is the stat located in relation to the stove, and how far away is it?

That stat has a swing of 2.25. so if i set the stat at 70 it will heat to 72.5 and then not turn on again until the temp drops to 67.5. Is this correct?

hellsbells1975 said:
That stat has a swing of 2.25. so if i set the stat at 70 it will heat to 72.5 and then not turn on again until the temp drops to 67.5. Is this correct?

That's interesting....as far as I know, the swing settings are only whole numbers like 1,2,3,4, etc.

But to answer your question, yes, you're right. If it was set to 2, it would come on at 68 and off at 72.

imacman said:
hellsbells1975 said:

That's interesting....as far as I know, the swing settings are only whole numbers like 1,2,3,4, etc.

But to answer your question, yes, you're right. If it was set to 2, it would come on at 68 and off at 72.

This stat has a swing from 1-9 with each number equal to .25 degrees

hellsbells1975 said:
BeGreen said:
Switch it to a Lux thermostat that will allow you to set the swing.

More info in this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80476/

Thank you very much. I appreciate your response. I picked up a lux at Lowe's. It's a tx500. Hope that one is ok, that is the only programmable one they had.

Same stat I have. Not as fancy as the one imacman has. But it will do the chore nicely. Been great for me for several years now. 5/2 programming is all I need. 7 day programming is better if you have different daily schedules throughout the week. Or swing shift people.

j-takeman said:
Same stat I have. Not as fancy as the one imacman has.....

Actually, I don't have the 1500....I have an older 511. Not fancy, but does the job.

Attachments

• LUX psp511l.gif
    LUX psp511l.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 189
j-takeman said:
Don't know why I was thinking you had the TX1500?

I have recommended the 1500 in some other threads only because the 511 is no longer available....otherwise, they seem identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.